The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:16:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who should become Chairman of the DNC?
Keith Ellison
Tom Perez
Pete Buttigieg
Ray Buckley
Jaime Harrison
Sally Boynton Brown
Jehmu Greene
Sam Ronan
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair  (Read 108319 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« on: November 12, 2016, 04:46:20 PM »

Howard Dean was a fantastic DNC chair, but he is Yesterday's Man.  We ran a lot of has-beens this year (virtually all of whom lost), and I think it's time for some new blood, and who better than a young Muslim congressman from Minnesota with a reliably progressive voting record?  

Selecting Keith Ellison would certainly send a signal that the Democratic Party gets 'it'.  

It does the exact opposite. We lost because we both alienated white working class voters and didn't turn out minorities. The DNC is a full time job, which Ellison can't commit to as a Congressman. Ellison should be chair of the DCCC or co-chair of the DNC with him as the public face of the party and Dean in charge of actual operations, similar to the format of the '90s.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 01:15:12 PM »

That article from 2006 does an amazing job of explaining why Congressional Democrats are lining up behind Elsion instead of Dean: they want one of their own in charge. We need Howard Dean.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 01:34:11 PM »

That article from 2006 does an amazing job of explaining why Congressional Democrats are lining up behind Elsion instead of Dean: they want one of their own in charge. We need Howard Dean.

Does anyone know how much influence state parties have vs the DC insiders?

I mean seriously, I'm sure Ellison would do fine, but we just lost an election because we nominated the choice of DC's insiders, so let's fix that by nominating the choice of DC insiders

Yet he's also the choice of MoveOn and Sanders.

And every argument for his nomination has to do with how he would provide a "stark contrast with Trump and a progressive vision," relying solely on identity politics, which is part of the reason we lost. DNC chair is a full-time administrative role, which isn't something Ellison can commit to as a Conressman. His job isn't to promote a message, it's about mechanics and having an effective tech system. It's about assessing the needs of the state parties to pick good candidates.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 07:03:40 PM »

Ellison has the endorsement of  the state chairmen in Wisconsin, Hawaii, Nebraska, and his home state of Minnesota. Also Elizabeth Warren recently formally endorsed Ellison.

This actually matters, as state chairman vote and were suppose to be heavily behind Dean

I think the state chairmen said they planned to vote as a bloc, and Dean has the support of far more of the state parties.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 11:04:42 PM »

Perez vs. Ellison is a very hard choice for me. I like them both.

I guess it will come down to who I think has the best strategy for the party. I don't care about political leanings, that's not the DNC's role, and if Ellison tries to make it about that I would probably support Perez.

I have to disagree on your vision of the DNC's "role". I think Ellison is the only one in the race for the chairmanship that actually has a vision for a policy agenda, and I think it's better that the Democrats envision the DNC chair as less of a fundraising, behind-the-scenes role than a "face-of-the-party" role. Nothing against Perez, I think he's a great Secretary who's got a decent career ahead of him, but I frankly don't see a new vision for the party that the Democrats desperately need, and I'd much rather he run for Maryland Governor in 2018 or 2022 than he waste his time as DNC Chair.

But... that's literally what the DNC Chair's job is. Congressional Democrats are supposed to focus on policy.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 04:14:55 AM »

Perez vs. Ellison is a very hard choice for me. I like them both.

I guess it will come down to who I think has the best strategy for the party. I don't care about political leanings, that's not the DNC's role, and if Ellison tries to make it about that I would probably support Perez.

I have to disagree on your vision of the DNC's "role". I think Ellison is the only one in the race for the chairmanship that actually has a vision for a policy agenda, and I think it's better that the Democrats envision the DNC chair as less of a fundraising, behind-the-scenes role than a "face-of-the-party" role. Nothing against Perez, I think he's a great Secretary who's got a decent career ahead of him, but I frankly don't see a new vision for the party that the Democrats desperately need, and I'd much rather he run for Maryland Governor in 2018 or 2022 than he waste his time as DNC Chair.

But... that's literally what the DNC Chair's job is. Congressional Democrats are supposed to focus on policy.

NO It is not. That is what Debbie was - A terrific fundraiser. And Clinton outraised & outspend Trump too.

And what did it do - Jack sh**. This kind of experiment has been tried & has failed big. It is time to move on from this archaic thinking!

It's not archaic thinking, it's the literal job description. The job of the DNC Chair is to focus on fundraising and building the party apparatus. It's mechanics, not "vision".
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 11:49:19 PM »

Watch this, and if you still support Perez after watching it, you're no progressive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ByXdb_E6FM

What a pathetic, stupid, little man.

He serves at the pleasure of the President. And the President supports TPP. Get over it
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2016, 02:14:03 PM »

I'm starting to lose the large amount of respect I have for Perez. If the Democrats want to keep clinging to TPP and their establishment party machines then they can forget about winning back the presidency in 2020.

Democrats aren't "clinging to TPP". Perez is still Obama's Secretary of Labor, and as such had to promote Obama's policies. That doesn't mean he supports TPP himself. It's the same people that can't seem to grasp this simple truth that also fail to understand that the DNC isn't some King of the Democrats that lays out policy on national tv.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 05:43:05 PM »

Why exactly should I care about the opinion of a disgraced AG turned who has now entered the private sector, as a lawyer to defend the fraudulent banks that he refused to prosecute?

Haven't you answered your own question? The Holder endorsement is extremely damning. Not that we needed more signs of whom Perez is looking to represent.

You dark red avatars are some insufferable mfs
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 09:57:34 PM »

Since this is basically a (dumb) 2016 primary proxi-war, can someone please explain to me how tf theDNC supposedly rigged the primary for Clinton?
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 01:00:29 PM »

Thank goodness. Lewis was one of the major players in the Clinton wing during the primaries, so his endorsement of Ellison should help a lot

I doubt it moves many Clinton people. They'll probably just see it as Lewis endorsing the black candidate.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 02:27:29 PM »

Wtf is up with all the hate for Perez? DNC Chair isn't a policy figure. And even if it was, he's just as progressive as Ellison.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies