The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:41:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who should become Chairman of the DNC?
Keith Ellison
Tom Perez
Pete Buttigieg
Ray Buckley
Jaime Harrison
Sally Boynton Brown
Jehmu Greene
Sam Ronan
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair  (Read 107008 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: January 05, 2017, 06:19:34 PM »

Josh Earnest says Obama will not endorse a candidate.
Even though he basically has in Perez...

I love Obama, but he needs to butt out of this DNC race.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 03:29:31 PM »

Dean quit the race ages ago.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 11:58:22 AM »

If Perez wins, then the DNC will have the same cloud of doubt around it as it did in 2016.

Throw Bernie folks a bone to shut them up, give them Ellison or Buttigieg.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 02:04:26 PM »

If Perez wins, then the DNC will have the same cloud of doubt around it as it did in 2016.

Getting Bernie folks to "shut up" really shouldn't be the goal of any Democrat. Ellison is the best choice because both Clinton and Bernie folk can support him without reservations outside of religion.

If Perez does win, then expect a ton of party takeovers at the local level.
Bernie supporters complaining about the DNC, thinking they rigged it, is one of the key reasons why Hillary lost. The DNC become a liability, instead of an invisible support, in 2016.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 10:40:58 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2017, 10:43:16 PM by Blue3 »

Getting Bernie folks to "shut up" really shouldn't be the goal of any Democrat. Ellison is the best choice because both Clinton and Bernie folk can support him without reservations outside of religion.

If Perez does win, then expect a ton of party takeovers at the local level.
Bernie supporters complaining about the DNC, thinking they rigged it, is one of the key reasons why Hillary lost. The DNC become a liability, instead of an invisible support, in 2016.

Seems like your still deluded to how she actually lost.
I didn't say it's the only reason. But it was a big factor.

Trump successfully painted her and Democrats as elitists, in a populist versus elitist narrative. While Hillary lost her educated humanitarian progressive versus ignorant selfish traditionalist narrative.
She also didn't campaign as much in the Midwest, taking it for granted.
They stopped trying to be appealing and persuasive to all people in general.
They took for granted that all the stuff Trump said and did made him unelectable.
The Comey stuff didn't help.
And neither did all the WikiLeaks... which focused on the DNC issue.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 06:01:49 PM »

So who is it that's actually voting? How many people?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 06:12:56 PM »

So who is it that's actually voting? How many people?

The 447 members of the DNC.
Ok.

Someone told me it was anyone who ever signed up for and donated to the DNC. And I was like, "wait, I 'joined' them online and gave them $10 in August, I get to vote?" Tongue Ok, it is what I originally thought.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 05:14:26 PM »

They'll be making a huge mistake if they do this... do they not get how tone-deaf this is? Do they not get they'll Perez will be the new DWS, with that reputation right from the beginning?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 12:27:20 AM »

I still have yet to see an explanation for why Perez jumped in in the first place. What did he see that was wrong with Ellison? If they're so similar, why should Ellison's supporters have to bend the knee?
Because the establishment wanted him
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 03:00:32 PM »

While I agree it's disappointing that it looks like Ellison or Buttigieg won't win, I think people are overrating the actual power the DNC head has.
It's not about the power of the DNC.

It's about symbolism. And making Bernie people feel like the DNC is no longer rigged against them.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 03:58:59 PM »

While I agree it's disappointing that it looks like Ellison or Buttigieg won't win, I think people are overrating the actual power the DNC head has.

Why now, does everyone care about a position that has meant very little in the past? Why place more meaning into this then there needs to be? Everyone is just going to end up being disappointed when the essences of the party establishment chooses the establishment candidate. If the Sanders wing is the future, they will take over the party in due time anyway.
Because DNC corruption became a general election campaign issue, thanks to Trump and Russian hackers
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 06:41:45 PM »

Jesus Christ.

You know if you wanted to try and kneecap the Bernie wing then appointing Perez is the wrong move. You're just gonna rile them up even more.

This. I'm a Hillary supporter. But, like her, I'm pragmatic. Perez winning will make the Bernie supporters even more insufferable.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 02:13:49 PM »

Are DNC members even checking their phones during voting?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 02:28:58 PM »

So has everyone now dropped out besides Ellison and Perez?

And how are some getting .5 votes?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 02:43:42 PM »

I just think it's striking how Ellison blew such a lead, and I supported him. Considering this it's probably best he won't win.
How did he "blow" such a lead?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 03:29:03 PM »

Deputy Chair or Co-Chair? Is there a real difference?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 03:41:54 PM »

Will Ellison still resign from Congress to embrace this DNC role?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 09:14:04 PM »

No, she talked about how Dangerous Donald was mean, she works hard, and how it's her turn.

contrary to public myth, she has talked a whole lot about jobs and specific plans to bring jobs to communities.

As long as we're re-litigating the primary (which is dumb and stupid and not what this is about); NO!

Here are the 10 most aired ads

Of the 6 run by Clinton
1) Trump mocked disabled people
2) Trump isn't reliable with Nukes
3) HRC cares about our kids in unspecific ways
4) Trump is so bad Republicans should vote for Hillary
5) HRC loves our kids so they should have jobs and go to school
6) Trump shouldn't be president because he's sexist.

NONE of those are running on the platform she agreed to. NONE of them involve specific policies. Only two of them are positive at all.  

I don't know who people thought they were fooling with the platform. No one reads party platforms or follows party platforms. And yet the Bernie side still lost most of its fights over the party platform. Are we supposed to be excited that unlike the Hillary, the Democratic platform called for reinstating Glass Steagall? Well, so did the Republican platform.

Making donalds horrific lack of qualifications, general insanity, etc the focus of the campaign isn't the evil thing you make it out to be. It was a tactical mistake. A tactical mistake made by one campaign does not equal a deep ideological flaw in the party. The modern democrats biggest flaws are in tactics and organization, not muh establishment. PS the republican platform called for many horrific things. Don't compare random little elements of two platforms as if that makes them exactly the same. The democratic platform was focused on your wings ideas. The republican platform was focused on disgusting garbage.

Hillary is a compulsive liar with public and private positions, so of course she wasn't going to follow her parties platform any more than the average President does, which isn't much. And yet the Bernie side still lost the majority of their fights over some meaningless document that no on reads.

Every human has private positions.

And from what we learned about Hillary's secret speeches, she supported moving us to a single-payer system in the style of Canada, and to stop the focus on the Middle East and refocus and rebuilding ties within the Americas.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies