Wait, Trump won a county in Rhode Island? wow .
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:16:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Wait, Trump won a county in Rhode Island? wow .
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Wait, Trump won a county in Rhode Island? wow .  (Read 2005 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2016, 04:02:23 PM »

he did much better in NE than I thought he would.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 04:07:12 PM »

And in Vermont.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 04:07:43 PM »

He won a bunch of towns there too. Mitt Romney only won two towns in Rhode Island.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 04:56:17 PM »

The one in RI is more impressive.  Last time the GOP won a county in RI was back in 1984.  The county in VT that Trump won was also won by Bush II in 2004.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 04:57:49 PM »

I wouldn't rule out Trump winning Connecticut in his re-election bid.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 05:10:51 PM »

I wouldn't rule out Trump winning Connecticut in his re-election bid.

I almost think Rhode Island would be easier with how wildly it swung to him.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 05:23:52 PM »

What is different about MA that it didn't swing like RI? Is MA less blue collar than RI or did blue collars vote differently in both states?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 05:29:19 PM »

What is different about MA that it didn't swing like RI? Is MA less blue collar than RI or did blue collars vote differently in both states?

I was a bit surprised initially as well but then realized that Romney must have overperformed the GOP base given the favorite son effect in 2012.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 06:06:42 PM »

Mostly because Romney probably over performed slightly in 2012.

I'll admit though I certainly did not expect almost the entire Northeast to swing and trend Republican and I was therefore wrong about that.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 06:19:22 PM »

Who'd Chaffee vote for?
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 06:42:09 PM »

I was super shocked to find about this on election night.
EpicHistory
Rookie
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 12:42:50 AM »

Honestly, it's things like this that really make me question whether this was simply a renewal of the 6th Party system or a realignment. Maybe need to do a thread to discuss this.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 01:04:52 AM »

He also won all but one town on the northern Vermont border, and nearly locked Clinton out of non-coastal Maine.

I hope none of this is indicative of a long-term trend.
EpicHistory
Rookie
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 01:14:45 AM »

He also won all but one town on the northern Vermont border, and nearly locked Clinton out of non-coastal Maine.

Given the shift occurred across all of New England, the Midwest and other areas, we're either looking at a Realignment here or the 6th Party System just got renewed hard.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 03:23:08 AM »
« Edited: November 12, 2016, 03:25:52 AM by Blue3 »

As a RI Democrat, it's not surprising.

We're almost like a Rust-Belt state in the main cities, with lots of Catholic White Blue-Collar Workers (and some Hispanics), surrounded by suburban and rural Republican-leaning WASPs, and overall have an aging population with a lot of young adults of my generation moving out.

We have never really had progressive Democrats in charge... but the party machine is strong, with lots of DINOs, which is one of the only reasons why we're probably still so Democratic.
vileplume
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2016, 04:19:12 AM »

The one in RI is more impressive.  Last time the GOP won a county in RI was back in 1984.  The county in VT that Trump won was also won by Bush II in 2004.

True but Trump didn't just win Essex county, VT he won it by 18%! He also came within 0.3% of winning Orleans County, 3.1% of winning Franklin County, 4.2% of winning Rutland County and 7% of winning Caledonia County. His coattails even caused Pat Leahy to lose Essex County in the Senate race too. This is pretty shocking whichever way you cut it.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2016, 04:20:27 AM »

In all honesty?

It probably is. The Democrats are gaining in the Southwest and South big time. They have to lose somewhere.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2016, 04:31:53 AM »

Trump won a county in every NE state, save for MA.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2016, 04:41:13 AM »

In all honesty?

It probably is. The Democrats are gaining in the Southwest and South big time. They have to lose somewhere.

Really? They did worse in NV, NC, FL, VA and CO than eight years ago. In AZ they are stuck at 45%, same as 20 years ago. In GA, the Atlanta suburbs have been exposed as unable to carry the state. In TX, they did the same as Obama in 2008. I'd say the Dem "gain" in the South has been a huge bust this cycle. A cycle where they got their dream anti-Hispanic R candidate to test their pet demographic theory. Only to lose ground among Hispanics.

The traditional Dem strongholds of WI, MI and PA were much closer despite their R swing, and Hillary's campaign would have been better focused to invest in defending them than chasing southern dreams.
EpicHistory
Rookie
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2016, 04:42:19 AM »

True but Trump didn't just win Essex county, VT he won it by 18%! He also came within 0.3% of winning Orleans County, 3.1% of winning Franklin County, 4.2% of winning Rutland County and 7% of winning Caledonia County. His coattails even caused Pat Leahy to lose Essex County in the Senate race too. This is pretty shocking whichever way you cut it.

Okay, starting to become convinced this may have been a realignment.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2016, 05:52:06 AM »

In all honesty?

Really? They did worse in NV, NC, FL, VA and CO than eight years ago. In AZ they are stuck at 45%, same as 20 years ago. In GA, the Atlanta suburbs have been exposed as unable to carry the state. In TX, they did the same as Obama in 2008. I'd say the Dem "gain" in the South has been a huge bust this cycle. A cycle where they got their dream anti-Hispanic R candidate to test their pet demographic theory. Only to lose ground among Hispanics.

The traditional Dem strongholds of WI, MI and PA were much closer despite their R swing, and Hillary's campaign would have been better focused to invest in defending them than chasing southern dreams.

Florida, Virginia, Colorado, Arizona, and Texas all trended Democratic. Even as the entire country shifted Republican, they either swung towards the Democrats or shifted less Republican than the rest of the country.

The Northeast and Midwest, on the other hand, not only swung Republican, but swung Republican hard.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2016, 06:18:41 AM »

as long as republicans never again run with a ryanitw candidate, it'a realignment.

but relax, dems......northengland won't suddenly become hardcore evangelical, unionbusting and rural.....the pubs must change to win this states and as we all know and karl rove learned earlier...there are no permanent majorities.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2016, 05:02:21 PM »

Rhode Island is a microcosm of the country this election... our coastal/educated/urban areas went for Hillary, and the rest for Trump.

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2016, 02:07:27 AM »

as long as republicans never again run with a ryanitw candidate, it'a realignment.

but relax, dems......northengland won't suddenly become hardcore evangelical, unionbusting and rural.....the pubs must change to win this states and as we all know and karl rove learned earlier...there are no permanent majorities.

ryanitw?
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2016, 05:52:56 AM »

ryanitw?

ryan-ite. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies