Mr. Illini maps 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:57:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Mr. Illini maps 2016
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mr. Illini maps 2016  (Read 1628 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2016, 09:26:05 PM »

First up, of course, is Cook County. The city is mapped by ward. Rest of the county by township.

Notable changes from 2012:

1) Far northwest side of the city (historically white union; police residency) moved R

2) The rest of the north side moved D

3) Northern suburbs continued to move D - New Trier and Northfield well over 60% for Clinton
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 02:58:36 AM »

Can't wait to see the maps for my home state.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 12:27:09 PM »

Lake County, IL
Chicago's northern suburbs

Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 12:30:26 PM »

Cook and Lake Counties, IL

Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 12:31:57 PM »

Annotated with jurisdiction names

Notable towns in smaller text if different than township name

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 02:04:18 AM »

And Orland Township voted to secede.  Won't happen, obviously.

Secede from what?  Cook County?  To join what?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 05:53:24 AM »

The question asked if Orland township should secede from Cook and be transferred to Will county. Orland townshpi is largely served by three municipalities - Orland Hills, Orland Park and Tinley Park. Orland Park and Tinley Park are partially in Will. The referendum was approved with 54% in favor, but like similar referenda in 2009 from some NW Cook townships, no one expects this to move as legislation.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 11:31:21 PM »

The question asked if Orland township should secede from Cook and be transferred to Will county. Orland townshpi is largely served by three municipalities - Orland Hills, Orland Park and Tinley Park. Orland Park and Tinley Park are partially in Will. The referendum was approved with 54% in favor, but like similar referenda in 2009 from some NW Cook townships, no one expects this to move as legislation.

I was looking at the Illinois Constitution, which provides that the legislature should make provision for changes, splits, mergers, etc.

But the statutes seem to only require a petition trigger an election. Other than the change would require approval by the whole of both Cook and Will counties, I didn't see an obstacle to the referendum.

There is a provision that a change couldn't leave the county line less than 10 minutes from the county seat, and another that defines a county seat as the boundaries of the containing city. The northeastern corner of Orland might disqualify the change.

Is that why special legislation is required.

Splitting of counties seems relatively easy. It is surprising that nobody has suggested creation of the City and County of Chicago. North Cook and South Cook might become Lincoln and Obama counties.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 11:52:11 PM »

I was looking at the Illinois Constitution, which provides that the legislature should make provision for changes, splits, mergers, etc.

But the statutes seem to only require a petition trigger an election. Other than the change would require approval by the whole of both Cook and Will counties, I didn't see an obstacle to the referendum.

There is a provision that a change couldn't leave the county line less than 10 minutes from the county seat, and another that defines a county seat as the boundaries of the containing city. The northeastern corner of Orland might disqualify the change.

Splitting of counties seems relatively easy. It is surprising that nobody has suggested creation of the City and County of Chicago. North Cook and South Cook might become Lincoln and Obama counties.

I believe in the 1990's there was a legislative proposal to divide Cook into 5 counties, one of which would be the city of Chicago.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 09:26:03 PM »

Still waiting on Peoria-native RINO Tom to pop in and provide some wisdom on how suburban Chicagoans are feeling.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 09:33:20 PM »

Will County voted to the right of DuPage and Kane.  I guess it's not surprising when you think about the demographics, but still it must be historic.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 09:35:22 PM »

Will County voted to the right of DuPage and Kane.  I guess it's not surprising when you think about the demographics, but still it must be historic.

Hoping to add DuPage to the township map soon
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 10:23:55 PM »

I believe in the 1990's there was a legislative proposal to divide Cook into 5 counties, one of which would be the city of Chicago.
I was looking through the county results on CNN and came across a county called "Chicago", but they also had entries for "Cook Suburbs", and "Cook", so it looks like they recognized both the two BOE, and the political subdivision.

When I was searching for a township map of Cook County, I noticed that Cicero and Berwyn and a couple other areas were townships. Was that a result of a process that permitted townships to be divided, but that was later abandoned? Is all of Illinois surveyed as part of the PLSS?

I'd think there would be friction between Chicago and the remainder of Cook County over funding services.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 03:27:08 AM »

Cant wait for DuPage.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 09:41:55 PM »

Do a trend map!
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 12:19:02 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2016, 12:21:49 PM by Mr. Illini »

Mark Kirk's performance against Donald Trump

Key included in image.

Kirk overperformed through most of the county (no surprise). Significantly so in wealthier areas.

However, he still lost most of them. Along the North Shore, the two darker blue townships are wealthy New Trier and Northfield.

He beat Trump by 22 points in New Trier and 16 points in Northfield, but Duckworth still won both townships. A statement on Trump's performance there, certainly.

Southwest portion of the county has a white working class reputation. Kirk lost to Trump in each of those townships.

However, similarly, Kirk still won most of them, except for Bremen and Worth townships, which also share a decent black population.

Hoping to add ward detail to Chicago in the near future. The city was Kirk +4%.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies