Chelsea Clinton groomed for Congress run in NY17
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:27:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Chelsea Clinton groomed for Congress run in NY17
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Chelsea Clinton groomed for Congress run in NY17  (Read 2729 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2016, 06:48:07 AM »

I don't remember you being so vocally hostile of Joe Kennedy running for congress in 2012.
What distinguishes them? One is a man, the other is a woman.

The vocally hatred towards her is quite disturbing to me.

OK, so you're accusing me of sexism.

Maybe I've missed Kennedy, but I remember being rather vocal about the whole presidential dynasty mentality, whether regarding sons or daughters.
Ok it probably doesn't apply to you,
But yes, I seriously believe there is a quite big problem with misogyny on this board. There are some candidates who have faced many many unwarranted attacks during the last cycle, I'm thinking of Mcginty, Duckworth regarding their "political skills" who were so extreme that it was full of misoginy, in the end Mcginty didn't win badly and Duckworth won easily.

I seriously believe that had Chelsea been a man, there wouldn't be 2 pages in less than 24 hour of "dear god don't run"

Nobody's denying sexism is a serious problem, but what I also fear is that we use it to keep ignoring all other important factors.

The main difference between women like Elizabeth Warren, Tammy Duckworth and Kamala Harris or and Chelsea is very simple: the former didn't have the "my daddy was President" advantage. ANd yes, this applied to men too (haven't we all seen GWB?)
I agree with you.
It's not the fact that people oppose her because she's the daughter of the Clintons, it is all the massive overreaction about a potential run by her. Kennedy didn't have a dedicated thread when he decided to run in 2012, same for George P Bush in 2012 etc etc

I can agree with you on this as well. Though it's possible many of those who posted here are not being driven by sexism but the dissapointment with the whole identity politics. And we're in a direct aftermath of the election.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2016, 07:00:31 AM »

I don't remember you being so vocally hostile of Joe Kennedy running for congress in 2012.
What distinguishes them? One is a man, the other is a woman.

The vocally hatred towards her is quite disturbing to me.

OK, so you're accusing me of sexism.

Maybe I've missed Kennedy, but I remember being rather vocal about the whole presidential dynasty mentality, whether regarding sons or daughters.
Ok it probably doesn't apply to you,
But yes, I seriously believe there is a quite big problem with misogyny on this board. There are some candidates who have faced many many unwarranted attacks during the last cycle, I'm thinking of Mcginty, Duckworth regarding their "political skills" who were so extreme that it was full of misoginy, in the end Mcginty didn't win badly and Duckworth won easily.

I seriously believe that had Chelsea been a man, there wouldn't be 2 pages in less than 24 hour of "dear god don't run"

Nobody's denying sexism is a serious problem, but what I also fear is that we use it to keep ignoring all other important factors.

The main difference between women like Elizabeth Warren, Tammy Duckworth and Kamala Harris or and Chelsea is very simple: the former didn't have the "my daddy was President" advantage. ANd yes, this applied to men too (haven't we all seen GWB?)
I agree with you.
It's not the fact that people oppose her because she's the daughter of the Clintons, it is all the massive overreaction about a potential run by her. Kennedy didn't have a dedicated thread when he decided to run in 2012, same for George P Bush in 2012 etc etc

I can agree with you on this as well. Though it's possible many of those who posted here are not being driven by sexism but the dissapointment with the whole identity politics. And we're in a direct aftermath of the election.
I don't consider opposing her to run being sexist, I do consider that this overreaction (while basically when Kennedy decided to run there was no reaction at all) being driven by sexism. And yes, I don't believe you, Virginia for example aren't sexist.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2016, 07:32:24 AM »
« Edited: November 13, 2016, 07:34:35 AM by Torie »

After the next redistricting, Chelsea might have trouble winning Lowey's seat if it is moved (as I think is more likely than not), to a Rockland, Orange, Sulliivan Counties based CD. That seat would be tilt Pub. So she would need to move and run in the Engel seat if and when he retires. Chappaqua itself will almost certainly be moved to NY-18, which has the gorgeous and entrenched Mr. Murphy in office. Yes, I understand. If Lowey packs it in now, then Chelsea could run, and if elected, in 2022 move on to some higher office. Smiley
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2016, 10:00:34 AM »

Oh great, Democrats have just suffered an incredible electoral defeat, partially (mostly?) because they are seen as too pro-establishment and detached from "normal" people, and the first news to come out are "Chelsea Clinton for Congress" and #Michelle2020.

Way to go.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2016, 10:45:48 AM »

I'd like new Congresspeople to be state legislators, attorney generals, college professors, veterans, scientists, doctors, farmers, engineers, and more. But I don't want someone whose qualification is "You liked my mom, so why not me?"

At least the first generation of Kennedy brothers tried to do something other than draw blood from the JFK stone.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies