Is Democratic Party is doomed in a short term perspective?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:16:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Is Democratic Party is doomed in a short term perspective?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Is Democratic Party is doomed in a short term perspective, if Trump will be an OK president?
Yes

No

The reports of its death are greatly exaggerated

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 86

Author Topic: Is Democratic Party is doomed in a short term perspective?  (Read 3105 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2016, 01:50:38 PM »

Pffff. Sure, just like it was doomed after 2004, or how the Republican Party was doomed after 2008, or how Obama was doomed after 2010, or how the Republican Party was doomed again after 2012.
I am guessing the only undoomed election was 2006?

Yeah, it was the first good election for Democrats since the 90s, so it wasn't necessarily a "cause for panic" for the Republicans.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2016, 01:53:57 PM »

No, no it isn't, although it's locked out of power on all levels through 2020.

The House is very winnable in 2018. The Senate is trickier, but we can at least win enough seats to make 2020 easier.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2016, 02:11:12 PM »

Am I the only one who remembers "Republican can't win a presidential election for another generation" talk back in 2008?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2016, 02:14:04 PM »

The House is very winnable in 2018. The Senate is trickier, but we can at least win enough seats to make 2020 easier.

Seems like the best way back to a Senate majority is praying for a miracle that we get a wave in 2018 and magically allows us to have no net losses, and at best, maybe a +1 net gain. 2020 doesn't seem to, at least at face value, offer that many opportunities either. A slim Senate majority at this point is at least a 2 cycle plan, but more like 3 if have net losses in 2018.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2016, 02:19:53 PM »

No, in 2020 reapportionment happens and Dems will squeeze out Latino votes coming that election year. 2017-2018 won't be slam dunk years for the GOP, in otherwise would have a sure midterm calamity under a Clinton presidency.

Dems have a good shot of rebounding in the next several election cycles.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2016, 02:22:28 PM »

The election was so, so close. The firewall states that flipped all did so by, like, a percent. The Democratic Party could have a shot at winning after four years of Trump possibly without even changing anything—not even the ticket. I'm not saying it would be smart, but we need to calm down and realize that this election was close. Democrats are viable.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2016, 02:41:22 PM »

Gaining 2 Senate seats and winning the House would only be possible if Trump started a war or something like that.

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that Trump will be an awful President.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2016, 02:46:45 PM »

Generally and very simplified, young are always been more liberal (as anecdote, there is Green Party & Left in Sweden that has always done good among young, but their total % was pretty stable).

If your implication here is that people in general will get more Republican as they age, save it. Partisan evolution along those parameters is a myth.

Huh? My assumptions are based on long-standing partisan habits among various demographics and what appears to be at least another 4 years of a GOP that is generally perceived as unwelcoming to racial minorities.

If you want to consider that kind of analysis racist, then sheesh, I guess all demographers and political analysts are racists? Come on LittleBig.

Why are Kerry's 18-29 numbers there significantly off from the exit polls, which show 54-45? They say they adjust for the final result, but it looks like they don't. Obama '08 and '12 are off as well.

Your pattern doesn't really hold weight now, especially given that the country is no longer nearly as racially homogeneous as it was decades ago. As I stated before, the racial diversity and partisan voting habits of said races backs up why Democrats should maintain a solid advantage among young voters until the GOP finds a way to make significant inroads among minorities. If you were right, your assertion would dictate that Trump goes on to win (or tie?) 18-29 year olds in his reelection bid, right? Unfortunately we can't test that right now.

I feel like you're just looking at exit polls from one presidential election to the next and not really trying to understand any of the other factors. Republicans (right now) in general have little appeal to GenY/Z on numerous levels, and Trump is worse due to his massive character flaws. Due to that, I don't really see the basis for any sort of swing at the moment.
Downnice
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.64, S: -7.86

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2016, 02:56:08 PM »

It all depends on Trump. If he does a job and his policies do actually work and he improves the blue collar vote then the democrats must take Florida and either Florida and North Carolina. Add in the fact that Minnesota will be competitive under this circumstance I say they will not have a easy road in 2020.

If Trump is garbage then the Democrats steamroll the 2020 election
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2021, 02:11:57 AM »

No
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2021, 06:30:19 AM »

No, the Impeachment case just doomed R chances that they hoped for taking control, in Congress.

Rs were the favs if insurrection never took place on
Noodle
Rookie
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2021, 02:32:11 PM »

They screwed
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2021, 11:28:22 PM »

It all depends on Trump. If he does a job and his policies do actually work and he improves the blue collar vote then the democrats must take Florida and either Florida and North Carolina. Add in the fact that Minnesota will be competitive under this circumstance I say they will not have a easy road in 2020.

If Trump is garbage then the Democrats steamroll the 2020 election

Pretty funny they won neither FL or NC and still won 306 electoral votes.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies