Trump Backs Away From Major Pledges, wall promise was 'campaign device'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:37:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump Backs Away From Major Pledges, wall promise was 'campaign device'
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump Backs Away From Major Pledges, wall promise was 'campaign device'  (Read 1430 times)
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2016, 12:14:35 PM »

http://www.newser.com/story/233961/trump-backs-away-from-major-pledges.html

I can't take this. Is it too early to start saying "we told you so?". I know every President does this, but I'm not sure Trumper's quite expected this level of practicality when they attended his rallies. I thought Trump wasn't a politician? Cheesy
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 12:15:50 PM »

This should get interesting
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 12:21:23 PM »

I can't take this. Is it too early to start saying "we told you so?". I know every President does this, but I'm not sure Trumper's quite expected this level of practicality when they attended his rallies. I thought Trump wasn't a politician? Cheesy

No the Trumpers never believed what he said 100% anyway. That's why they never minded any of his gaffes. They just liked the fact that he said it, and that he trolled such an exaggerated reaction out of the media. If any of them are actually surprised by this, they're even dumber than I thought.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 12:22:49 PM »

Stop saying, that it was you who "told you so". It was me. Trump is common-sense President. Period.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 12:31:35 PM »

No the Trumpers never believed what he said 100% anyway. That's why they never minded any of his gaffes. They just liked the fact that he said it, and that he trolled such an exaggerated reaction out of the media. If any of them are actually surprised by this, they're even dumber than I thought.

Exactly. My belief is that Trump will go in the directions he anticipated (immigration, trade deals), but he'll never be extreme. At all. It is his "negotiating game". And media of course.
rob in cal
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 01:25:50 PM »

I always felt that who paid for the wall was a diversion from the main idea of whether a wall, or similar border security structure should be built.  Backing away from who pays for it is one thing, but backing away from not actually doing something to make the border much less porous, regardless of who pays, would be a serious climb down for Trump. 
   I do believe that as of now Sen Sessions is in charge of immigration transition team issues which indicates some sort of harder line immigration stance.  Also, Kris Kobach, a major immigration restrictionist advocate is apparently part of that team.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 01:37:33 PM »

All I can say is that anyone walking past my house for the next 4 years is going to hear quite a lot of loud cackling* as I watch many Trump supporters become demoralized and disillusioned due to realizing that they were conned, and that Trump is nothing more than a conduit for the establishment and their policies that GOP voters explicitly rejected in the primaries.

* in between the tears of at least 2 years of conservative policy and rollback of liberal policy
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 01:41:11 PM »

And the idiots are already reaping what they sowed. This idea was impossible for reasons of costs, not to mention logistics. Anyone who believed that a wall was going to be built was living in a world of delusion.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 01:41:46 PM »

All I can say is that anyone walking past my house for the next 4 years is going to hear quite a lot of loud cackling* as I watch many Trump supporters become demoralized and disillusioned due to realizing that they were conned, and that Trump is nothing more than a conduit for the establishment and their policies that GOP voters explicitly rejected in the primaries.

* in between the tears of at least 2 years of conservative policy and rollback of liberal policy

You really hope so Smiley

And the idiots are already reaping what they sowed. This idea was impossible for reasons of costs, not to mention logistics. Anyone who believed that a wall was going to be built was living in a world of delusion.

It was Dems only, mostly Roll Eyes
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 02:17:04 PM »

He's softened his stances on the Muslim Ban, Clinton Prosecution, The Wall, and the Mass Deportation, is it safe to assume the more moderate/liberal Trump is coming back and that this was all a ruse to get the right-wing vote?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 02:18:20 PM »

And this is surprising how exactly ?
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 02:19:14 PM »

He's softened his stances on the Muslim Ban, Clinton Prosecution, The Wall, and the Mass Deportation, is it safe to assume the more moderate/liberal Trump is coming back and that this was all a ruse to get the right-wing vote?

And his views on Israel; no moving the embassy to Jerusalem or recognizing it as the Capital.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 02:29:45 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2016, 02:31:18 PM by Frodo »

The one thing he won't back away from is his opposition to free trade deals like the Trans-Pacific Partnership and the Trans-Atlantic Partnership with the European Union -he has too long a history on that front for anyone to think he doesn't genuinely oppose them.  
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 02:36:53 PM »

I forgot who it was, but someone on MSNBC had a good explanation: "Democrats took Trump literally but not seriously. Republicans took trump seriously but not literally."
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 02:42:19 PM »

The one thing he won't back away from is his opposition to free trade deals like the Trans-Pacific Partnership and the Trans-Atlantic Partnership with the European Union -he has too long a history on that front for anyone to think he doesn't genuinely oppose them.  

Yeah, he's pretty genuinely a mercantilist. Has been since at least the 80s when the boogeyman was Japan
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2016, 06:25:00 PM »

The calm before the storm. No question Trump has backed down from the pre-election rhetoric.

Donald is trying to appear Presidential. His suit looked more padded when he met Obama, and he was quite nervous.

Backing away from the hard line "attention-grabbing" promises will be necessary just to get along with Paul Ryan and the crew.

However, time will tell after January 2017 as to what actually gets done.

Wall - no, unless Mexico pay for it in some bizarre trade embargo.
Deportations - wow, unlikely but wait and see.
Muslim ban - no, maybe a limited resettlement program for war-torn countries in the Middle East.
Repeal Obamacare - no, just amend.
Tax cut - yes.
Deregulation - yes.
China tariff - yes.
Infrastructure spend - yes.

Was the "Who's going to pay for the wall?" a device to get elected?

Clearly.

It's a symbol of attitude. If Donald can control the border and actively introduce policies which make it difficult for Mexicans to exist in the USA illegally, then he will have succeeded.

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2016, 06:35:37 PM »

so is this just going to be the Ted Cruz administration with a bunch of wacky characters in the cabinet and MAYBE some spending on infrastructure MAYBE.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2016, 07:14:47 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2016, 07:31:43 PM by Erich Maria Remarque »

The calm before the storm. No question Trump has backed down from the pre-election rhetoric.

Donald is trying to appear Presidential. His suit looked more padded when he met Obama, and he was quite nervous.

Backing away from the hard line "attention-grabbing" promises will be necessary just to get along with Paul Ryan and the crew.

However, time will tell after January 2017 as to what actually gets done.

Wall - no, unless Mexico pay for it in some bizarre trade embargo.
Deportations - wow, unlikely but wait and see.
Muslim ban - no, maybe a limited resettlement program for war-torn countries in the Middle East.
Repeal Obamacare - no, just amend.
Tax cut - yes.
Deregulation - yes.
China tariff - yes.
Infrastructure spend - yes.

Was the "Who's going to pay for the wall?" a device to get elected?

Clearly.

It's a symbol of attitude. If Donald can control the border and actively introduce policies which make it difficult for Mexicans to exist in the USA illegally, then he will have succeeded.

Agree, but

You must be logged in to read this quote.
What do you mean? Deporation of all 11 mln is indeed very unlikely. But even Obama was pretty good on deportation issue

I think that Trump will at least keep the same tempo, but unlike Obama he will proudly brag about it everyday which itself will have the same effect as The Wall. I can easily imagine him saying: "I'm the best deportator God ever created" Cheesy

I'm also cautious about how the trade war with China will look like. Mexico is "no problemos".

Btw, he'll be in interview tomorrow in 60 minutes. In preview he's talking about Obamcare and Clintons.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-to-keep-some-obamacare-says-clintons-gracious/
Lol, Donald the Unifier Cheesy
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2016, 07:30:18 PM »

That's it, the wall just got 10 feet higher!
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2016, 03:18:59 AM »

Quote from: Restricted

I dont know to be honest, but all 11M will look like some strange sci-fi television show.

That is half the population of Australia, hence the WOW!

Watch this space.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2016, 03:21:30 AM »

I dont know to be honest, but all 11M will look like some strange sci-fi television show.

Watch this space.

11 million is a lot, and it would be completely crazy to deport them all, but the creation of Poland after WW2 involved more people than that being moved.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2016, 07:48:15 AM »

What are we up to now?

Watch this space.

11 million is a lot, and it would be completely crazy to deport them all, but the creation of Poland after WW2 involved more people than that being moved.
That is what dictators do. Then again, maybe he is not a dictator. Maybe he is just a centrist that just puts everyone in jail Roll Eyes
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2016, 07:50:09 AM »

What are we up to now?

Watch this space.

That is what dictators do. Then again, maybe he is not a dictator. Maybe he is just a centrist that just puts everyone in jail Roll Eyes

Criminals, only criminals, bro Smiley
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2016, 03:25:06 PM »

Hmmm... this gives me a lot more hope for the optimistic "Ike with bad manners" scenario.

Mhm, more like Nixon.

Both Trump and Nixon keep Enemies Lists, after all.

Question is, will Trump be impeached/forced to resign too?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies