Norbert Hofer (FPÖ) to host US-Russia summit in Vienna if elected President (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:36:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Norbert Hofer (FPÖ) to host US-Russia summit in Vienna if elected President (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Norbert Hofer (FPÖ) to host US-Russia summit in Vienna if elected President  (Read 1094 times)
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« on: November 13, 2016, 01:52:35 PM »

I wonder who are you going to throw under the bus? Would that be my folks? The Baltic Republics? Or maybe just the rest of Ukraine.
I find it extremely unlikely that he wants any of these. At this point, the best he could get (and probably wants) would be recognition of the annexation of Crimea and re-absorption of the two secessionist republics on his terms.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 02:36:44 PM »

Probably, but there are two troubling factors in play:

1. Putin makes mistakes like everyone else.
2. Putin may not be able to stop due due to internal factors.
Contrary to popular stereotypes, there is little popular support in Russia for serious wars or conquest of unwilling foreign countries. As for mistakes, reducing the current level of tension would make the effects of these mistakes less costly

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Yes, but the combination of EU and US influence, plus popular anti-Russian feelings in nearly all Eastern European countries, makes this very unlikely. Even Belarus is trying to balance between the EU and Russia.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies