2020 Gubernational elections: Who is running megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:40:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2020 Gubernational elections: Who is running megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 23
Author Topic: 2020 Gubernational elections: Who is running megathread  (Read 151037 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: February 22, 2017, 10:14:05 PM »

JFC

In other news, saw a rumor on RRH that Car Brewer is IN for KS-Gov
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #151 on: February 23, 2017, 07:52:46 PM »

Tim Walz said he was "seriously considering" running for Governor at a town hall today.
JMT

« Reply #152 on: February 23, 2017, 08:05:30 PM »

Tim Walz said he was "seriously considering" running for Governor at a town hall today.

I really hope he doesn't, his district is an R+1 district so it may be difficult for Dems to hold this seat if he vacates it. Same with Rick Nolan. And it's not as if Democrats are lacking candidates for governor, they have three very credible candidates in the race already and more may join.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #153 on: February 28, 2017, 09:54:40 PM »

CT Gov. Malloy says he will decide on reelection after the budget is completed in the spring.

https://twitter.com/Zachary_Cohen/status/835242866586828802
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2017, 10:26:42 PM »

CT Gov. Malloy says he will decide on reelection after the budget is completed in the spring.

Is there a Democrat who could successfully primary him/force him to retire?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2017, 10:44:32 PM »

Middletown Mayor Dan Drew has already entered the race, and I'm sure a lot of Democrats don't want Malloy to be the nominee. Malloy would probably win the primary if he runs, but I don't think he's going to run again.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #156 on: March 02, 2017, 08:09:09 PM »

Would he be taking him on from left or right?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #157 on: March 02, 2017, 09:58:16 PM »

Patrick is the worst. Go Collier.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #158 on: March 03, 2017, 09:58:34 PM »

This is the only video I can find of Chris King.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFG1K2ndbbI
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #159 on: March 03, 2017, 10:09:30 PM »

guy has a disgustingly trump-like communication style.

I also get the impression he'd rob me stupid if he got the chance.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #160 on: March 04, 2017, 08:44:19 AM »

guy has a disgustingly trump-like communication style.

I also get the impression he'd rob me stupid if he got the chance.

This
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #161 on: March 04, 2017, 04:08:23 PM »

Gilium is also terrible and Democrats better get a better candidate (they likely will)
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #162 on: March 05, 2017, 01:14:39 AM »

Gilium is also terrible and Democrats better get a better candidate (they likely will)

So far, I think Graham has the best shot at winning a general election in FL.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #163 on: March 06, 2017, 11:34:18 AM »

CO: Ken Salazar will decide this summer.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #164 on: March 06, 2017, 11:45:28 AM »

He should stay in the House, just for the sake of holding down the seat for Democrats.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #165 on: March 06, 2017, 11:52:16 AM »

Middletown Mayor Dan Drew has already entered the race, and I'm sure a lot of Democrats don't want Malloy to be the nominee. Malloy would probably win the primary if he runs, but I don't think he's going to run again.

Did he?  My mom's cousin is very involved in Middletown politics and campaigned for Drew's opponent last election despite being a staunch Democrat, supposedly because Drew used his position in the Middletown DP to keep a dissenting Democratic council member off the ballot.  He's also very close to Malloy, as he campaigned in Middletown for him because the election was expected to be close, even though it wasn't.  I'd be shocked if he challenged Malloy.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #166 on: March 06, 2017, 03:22:58 PM »

Did he?  My mom's cousin is very involved in Middletown politics and campaigned for Drew's opponent last election despite being a staunch Democrat, supposedly because Drew used his position in the Middletown DP to keep a dissenting Democratic council member off the ballot.  He's also very close to Malloy, as he campaigned in Middletown for him because the election was expected to be close, even though it wasn't.  I'd be shocked if he challenged Malloy.

Sorry, clarification: Dan Drew has created an exploratory committee for a Gubernatorial run, not officially running yet (but he's basically running). This is presumably because it's known among higher up Dems that Malloy isn't running again, but state Dems are still upset with Drew because he was supposed to wait for Malloy to announce first that he wasn't running. IF Malloy does for some reason decide to run after all, Dan Drew probably isn't the type to stay in the race.

As for the mess with Drew and the council member, I believe this has more info on that:
http://www.middletownpress.com/article/MI/20151002/NEWS/151009919
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #167 on: March 06, 2017, 03:41:03 PM »

He should stay in the House, just for the sake of holding down the seat for Democrats.

I would think holding the Governorship is more important than one House seat.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #168 on: March 06, 2017, 03:48:55 PM »

I would think holding the Governorship is more important than one House seat.

It really depends on a variety of factors. In this case, Walz seems nervous about losing his seat in 2018 considering he just barely scraped by last November. If he vacates his seat, it will be easier for Republicans to pick it up. I feel like MN has plenty of other decent candidates that could run instead, and Walz would be needed more in the House if that was the case.

The House is the Democrats only real shot at being a check on Trump/Republicans in 2019+, so we really can't afford to lose that seat. Odds are he will have a better year in 2018, given the dynamics of midterms.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #169 on: March 06, 2017, 04:04:23 PM »

I think we can file this under "can we not?"
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #170 on: March 11, 2017, 07:44:38 PM »

SC: Dem Chair Jaime Harrison is considering a run.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/governors-races-democrats-rift-235951
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #171 on: March 12, 2017, 01:17:18 AM »

Not to derail the thread, but that article was just... so Politico.

"We talked to one Bluedog Chair and he said something juicy about needing Moderate Heroes, so we shoehorned a bunch of other southern moderate Dem chair quotes that don't really say the same thing into saying the same thing. Also Our Revolution is an omnicapable Shadow DNC that's going to form a third party."
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #172 on: March 12, 2017, 01:29:29 AM »

"We talked to one Bluedog Chair and he said something juicy about needing Moderate Heroes, so we shoehorned a bunch of other southern moderate Dem chair quotes that don't really say the same thing into saying the same thing. Also Our Revolution is an omnicapable Shadow DNC that's going to form a third party."

In the South (except for minority-majority districts) and some other areas you really need Blue Dogs and "Moderate Heroes". Of course - if you want to win at least sometimes. If not, and you are satisfied by only "making the case" - well, then run Berniecrats in every district, and be politically insignificant.... Let Republicans do what they want)))))
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #173 on: March 12, 2017, 01:50:03 AM »

In the South (except for minority-majority districts) and some other areas you really need Blue Dogs and "Moderate Heroes". Of course - if you want to win at least sometimes. If not, and you are satisfied by only "making the case" - well, then run Berniecrats in every district, and be politically insignificant.... Let Republicans do what they want)))))

1) My criticism was of the journalism. Whatever you think of electoral strategies for the south, the chairs in the article were plain-up NOT saying what Politico wanted them to be saying. Basically the only quote affirming what the article thinks is a guy in SC who *isn't even professionally involved with the Democratic party anymore. * He's a lawyer with a big DC firm (coincidentally, the one that employed Evan Bayh).

This article picks a narrative, goes out to specifically trying to confirm it, and fails even to do that. The only thing that made sure that it got published was that it confirms Politico's view of how politics works.

Of course, it's also *your* view of how politics works so I don't really expect to change your mind here.

2) Blue Dog =! Moderate Hero in each and every case. I'm perfectly fine with populists who like guns and flags. Hell, I like guns and flags. But thinking like, "The only Dems who are gonna get elected in the South will be Republican LiteTM" Is deeply silly, and contradicts the history of the region.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #174 on: March 12, 2017, 08:30:42 AM »
« Edited: March 12, 2017, 12:53:59 PM by smoltchanov »

Blue Dog =! Moderate Hero in each and every case. I'm perfectly fine with populists who like guns and flags. Hell, I like guns and flags. But thinking like, "The only Dems who are gonna get elected in the South will be Republican LiteTM" Is deeply silly, and contradicts the history of the region.

I never said that Blue Dogs = Moderate Heroes. And i love Southern populists, despite my different views (i am more liberal on social issues then on economy). The modern history, however, shows, that "the only Democrats elected RECENTLY from non-minority-majority "really Southern" districts (i can't to consider districts of Southern Florida, Northern Virginia and Research Triangle as "really Southern") are conservatively inclined (not really "Republican-lite", as they are much closer to the center, but with tangible conservative streak on many issues)". People like McIntyre, Barrow and their like. It's another thing that even that became not enough frequently.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies