2020 Gubernational elections: Who is running megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:31:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2020 Gubernational elections: Who is running megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 23
Author Topic: 2020 Gubernational elections: Who is running megathread  (Read 151014 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: March 12, 2017, 04:43:26 PM »

Tenative rankings: Hopefully Chris Pappas runs against Sununu in NH
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #176 on: March 12, 2017, 05:05:43 PM »

Hopefully Chris Pappas runs against Sununu in NH

Lol, why? He'd make the race Lean D, whereas Shaheen, Kuster, Shea-Porter, etc. would all make it Likely or Safe D.

None of the people you listed have any desire or rational reason to run for NHGov
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #177 on: March 12, 2017, 05:24:39 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2017, 05:29:20 PM by Virginia »

Select overview of races
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DKos: Republicans could see catastrophic losses in 2018's gubernatorial races if Trump sparks a backlash

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/3/8/1638381/-Republicans-could-see-catastrophic-losses-in-2018-s-gubernatorial-races-if-Trump-sparks-a-backlash

Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #178 on: March 12, 2017, 05:25:57 PM »

Winning a gubernatorial race easily isn't a good enough reason? Like I said, I would expect Pappas or Van Ostern to win, but it wouldn't be as easy as with someone like Shaheen. Sununu isn't popular, a terrible fit for his state and an accidental governor anyway (we all know why he won in the first place). I certainly hope you guys are more competent this time and nominate the "right" candidate. I can't stand Sununu, plus he needs to be taken down before he can run against Jeanne Shaheen in 2020. Oh well, having CSP and Kuster on the ballot will certainly help.

Unless you mean Stefany Shaheen when you say Shaheen, CSP, Kuster, and Sen. Shaheen all have far more power in Congress than they would as NHGov.

Sure, they might win easily per your bizarre theory. But Governor of New Hampshire is a terrible position, especially if you don't flip the Exec Council. The most junior congresscritter has a far more enviable position than John Lynch did in 2012 having been gov for 8 years.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #179 on: March 12, 2017, 05:56:03 PM »

^Of course I mean Stefany Shaheen. Jeanne Shaheen would be insane to give up her safe Senate seat. The NH Senate can definitely be flipped, even in a neutral year. The NH House would be a bit more difficult, but it's doable as well, especially if the GOP nominates terrible candidates across the board.

That DailyKos article is a bit misleading and hackish, though (no surprise given the source). Yes, Republicans could face "catastrophic" losses (although I think that's pretty unlikely), but people like Greg Abbott aren't going to lose just because Trump underperformed badly in their states. Gubernatorial races are much less partisan than Senate races, which is why someone like Mike Beebe is able to win by 30 points even as Blanche Lincoln loses by 21. Or think of John Bel Edwards, Jodi Rell, Arnold Schwarzenegger, etc.

Also: If presidential election margin were everything, Republicans would have a much harder time winning WI than KS. I doubt that will be the case on election day, though.

1) The NH house pretty much goes the way the state PV goes. Unless, like this year, the PV margin is razor thin. The State Senate is more heavily gerrymandered.

2) I didn't stay state leg, I said Exec Council. And that *is * pretty well gerrymandered. Maybe the 1st district swings if you don't put up someone like Cryans, but it's very hard for Dems to break through to a 3-2 split.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #180 on: March 12, 2017, 06:06:05 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2017, 06:08:06 PM by MT Treasurer »

^Yes, but the NH House and Senate are just as important. And regarding the Executive Council... District 1 is clearly winnable for Democrats, Kenney only won by 5 points in 2016 and the district is trending Democratic. 3 and 5 are much harder to crack, but one of them could fall with the right candidate (and like District 1, they're trending D in the long term).

And regardless, Maggie Hassan always had sky-high approval ratings, even when the GOP controlled the State Leg and Executive Council. So it's not as if you have to be afraid of anything if a Democrat wins the gubernatorial race.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #181 on: March 12, 2017, 08:00:34 PM »

Tim Walz said he was "seriously considering" running for Governor at a town hall today.

He should stay in the House, just for the sake of holding down the seat for Democrats.

I would think holding the Governorship is more important than one House seat.

It really depends on a variety of factors. In this case, Walz seems nervous about losing his seat in 2018 considering he just barely scraped by last November. If he vacates his seat, it will be easier for Republicans to pick it up. I feel like MN has plenty of other decent candidates that could run instead, and Walz would be needed more in the House if that was the case.

The House is the Democrats only real shot at being a check on Trump/Republicans in 2019+, so we really can't afford to lose that seat. Odds are he will have a better year in 2018, given the dynamics of midterms.

If he's the best candidate for governor, he should run.  The legislature will be hard for Dems to get back as they are too dependent on legacy rural seats.  If a GOP governor is elected, they will lose 3 seats in 2022 guaranteed, 4 if Paulsen is defeated before redistricting.  At this point, it is possible to redistrict MN so that the only 2 Dem seats are downtown MSP.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #182 on: March 12, 2017, 09:37:27 PM »

Tim Walz said he was "seriously considering" running for Governor at a town hall today.

He should stay in the House, just for the sake of holding down the seat for Democrats.

I would think holding the Governorship is more important than one House seat.

It really depends on a variety of factors. In this case, Walz seems nervous about losing his seat in 2018 considering he just barely scraped by last November. If he vacates his seat, it will be easier for Republicans to pick it up. I feel like MN has plenty of other decent candidates that could run instead, and Walz would be needed more in the House if that was the case.

The House is the Democrats only real shot at being a check on Trump/Republicans in 2019+, so we really can't afford to lose that seat. Odds are he will have a better year in 2018, given the dynamics of midterms.

If he's the best candidate for governor, he should run.  The legislature will be hard for Dems to get back as they are too dependent on legacy rural seats.  If a GOP governor is elected, they will lose 3 seats in 2022 guaranteed, 4 if Paulsen is defeated before redistricting.  At this point, it is possible to redistrict MN so that the only 2 Dem seats are downtown MSP.

And its a much better being a Governor than being in the irrelevant minority in the House.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #183 on: March 13, 2017, 06:31:58 AM »

Connie Pillich is in for OH GOV, I actually think she'd be a better candidate than Sutton.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #184 on: March 13, 2017, 10:41:07 AM »

Connie Pillich is in for OH GOV, I actually think she'd be a better candidate than Sutton.

She would, but Schiavoni would probably be a better candidate than either of them (assuming he improves his fundraising).
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #185 on: March 14, 2017, 02:48:45 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2017, 03:31:52 PM by RogueBeaver »

CA: Garcetti keeps the door open, but hasn't he been boxed out already, Californians?

IL: Pritzker forms an exploratory committee.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #186 on: March 14, 2017, 10:11:10 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2017, 10:13:40 PM by Da-Jon »

Right now, as of now, we don't know what type of candidate Gwen Graham is.  So, I will go with Betty Sutton winning in Ohio before Graham

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #187 on: March 14, 2017, 10:33:02 PM »

Right now, as of now, we don't know what type of candidate Gwen Graham is.  So, I will go with Betty Sutton winning in Ohio before Graham

Err...Betty Sutton isn't even going to be the Democratic nominee in Ohio...
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #188 on: March 20, 2017, 03:42:30 PM »

MN-GOV: The Minnesota Star Tribune reports that Rep. Tim Walz is running, and "to expect an announcement soon."

Good news for holding the Governor seat, bad news for holding MN-01.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #189 on: March 20, 2017, 03:44:26 PM »

MN-GOV: The Minnesota Star Tribune reports that Rep. Tim Walz is running, and "to expect an announcement soon."

Goddammit Tim.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #190 on: March 20, 2017, 05:21:57 PM »

Have to imagine Nolan stays out in that case

Still think MN-08 would be a tougher open seat hold than MN-01. This is a surprise though - could it mean Swanson isn't getting in?
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #191 on: March 22, 2017, 09:42:10 AM »

Still think MN-08 would be a tougher open seat hold than MN-01. This is a surprise though - could it mean Swanson isn't getting in?

Democrats are much stronger down ballot and have a deeper bench in MN-08 than in MN-01.  There have been 11 Distinct wide elections in MN-08 since 2012, Democrats have won 10 of them.

BTW very exited Walz is going to run for Governor even though I will lose my congressman. Strongest candidate by far IMO.  If Democrats lose the Governorship and Republicans gain the trifecta MN becomes the next Wisconsin.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #192 on: March 22, 2017, 09:54:52 AM »

Holding on to MN-01 won't be impossible, especially in a Trumpterm.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #193 on: March 22, 2017, 11:12:02 AM »

Democrats are much stronger down ballot and have a deeper bench in MN-08 than in MN-01.  There have been 11 Distinct wide elections in MN-08 since 2012, Democrats have won 10 of them.

BTW very exited Walz is going to run for Governor even though I will lose my congressman. Strongest candidate by far IMO.  If Democrats lose the Governorship and Republicans gain the trifecta MN becomes the next Wisconsin.

So is word on the ground that Swanson is staying out, then? Thought she was the DFL juggernaut this time around
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #194 on: March 22, 2017, 12:58:07 PM »

So is word on the ground that Swanson is staying out, then? Thought she was the DFL juggernaut this time around

No word on Swanson but my guess is she still gets in.  She would be a solid candidate but I wouldn't use the term juggernaut. IMHO Walz would be a slight favorite over her for the nomination.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #195 on: March 23, 2017, 12:19:57 AM »

CO-GOV: Ken Salazar is not running.

Looking more and more like the Ed Perlmutter show.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #196 on: March 23, 2017, 07:16:00 AM »

Yesssssss
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #197 on: March 23, 2017, 09:45:16 AM »

Good. Perlmutter is the superior option anyhow
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #198 on: March 23, 2017, 04:23:09 PM »

BUT Rep. Jared Polis is not ruling out a run:

"I haven’t ruled anything out and I’m not going to be rushed into a premature decision by today’s news."
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #199 on: March 23, 2017, 11:58:10 PM »

I hope Perlmutter wins in order to continue having Colorado governors with goofy names.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies