2020 Gubernational elections: Who is running megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:27:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2020 Gubernational elections: Who is running megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Gubernational elections: Who is running megathread  (Read 151315 times)
henster
YaBB God

« on: January 05, 2017, 12:34:01 AM »

Who will probably be running and most likely to win primary/GE.

IA: Liz Mathis
NV: Ross Miller
CO: Ed Perlmutter
WI: Ron Kind
OH: Tim Ryan
ME: Janet Mills
MN: Lori Swanson

henster
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 05:26:09 PM »

In MN it looks to be crowded with Chris Coleman, Otto, Tina Smith, Swanson and Tim Walz. I think Lori Swanson would be the strongest candidate by far, she has won statewide 3x times by impressive margins. She has always done well in the Metro and outstate even in bad years for Ds '10/'14. 12+ years as a AG is a good record to run on as well.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 08:47:40 PM »

Swanson has always done very well in rural areas, pro-gun, pro-mining she is exactly what the DFL needs right now.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 03:41:03 PM »

Tim Walz said he was "seriously considering" running for Governor at a town hall today.

He should stay in the House, just for the sake of holding down the seat for Democrats.

I would think holding the Governorship is more important than one House seat.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 09:37:27 PM »

Tim Walz said he was "seriously considering" running for Governor at a town hall today.

He should stay in the House, just for the sake of holding down the seat for Democrats.

I would think holding the Governorship is more important than one House seat.

It really depends on a variety of factors. In this case, Walz seems nervous about losing his seat in 2018 considering he just barely scraped by last November. If he vacates his seat, it will be easier for Republicans to pick it up. I feel like MN has plenty of other decent candidates that could run instead, and Walz would be needed more in the House if that was the case.

The House is the Democrats only real shot at being a check on Trump/Republicans in 2019+, so we really can't afford to lose that seat. Odds are he will have a better year in 2018, given the dynamics of midterms.

If he's the best candidate for governor, he should run.  The legislature will be hard for Dems to get back as they are too dependent on legacy rural seats.  If a GOP governor is elected, they will lose 3 seats in 2022 guaranteed, 4 if Paulsen is defeated before redistricting.  At this point, it is possible to redistrict MN so that the only 2 Dem seats are downtown MSP.

And its a much better being a Governor than being in the irrelevant minority in the House.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 06:31:58 AM »

Connie Pillich is in for OH GOV, I actually think she'd be a better candidate than Sutton.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 07:25:24 PM »

Nolan is 73 and Walz is 54, considering Dayton's health issues I'd think DFLs might want to go for a younger Gov.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 03:22:38 PM »

I don't know Minnesota Republicans beyond the kooky ones, the RINO ones, and ugh Norm Coleman; was Stanek considered a good potential candidate or a wacko?

He was a terrific candidate. Barring Paulsen getting in probably instant front runner along Jeff Johnson

I was looking at his Stanek's Controversies section on Wikipedia and I don't know why anyone would consider him a terrific candidate.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 01:34:28 PM »

MI-GOV: Mark Hackel tweeted out the article 'Democrats create opening for Hackel in gov race'.

https://twitter.com/MarkHackel/status/870346972653289472
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 01:54:02 AM »

I don't know Minnesota Republicans beyond the kooky ones, the RINO ones, and ugh Norm Coleman; was Stanek considered a good potential candidate or a wacko?

He was a terrific candidate. Barring Paulsen getting in probably instant front runner along Jeff Johnson

I was looking at his Stanek's Controversies section on Wikipedia and I don't know why anyone would consider him a terrific candidate.

Speaking of Stanek, yea if he ran his campaign would've been very short.

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/news/local_news/son-of-hennepin-county-sheriff-charged-with-soliciting-a-minor/article_bf284c0e-4652-11e7-8d7a-c30b45078250.html
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 09:48:04 AM »

FL-GOV: Levine to announce tomorrow

http://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2017/10/30/philip-levine-to-make-important-announcement-wednesday-in-miami/
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 02:12:45 PM »

I think FL is a state where Dems need a self funder, Graham is a decent candidate but she will get badly outspend.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 11:49:21 PM »

Only candidate I could see giving JBE trouble is Scalise, may be more inclined to run if GOP is in the minority.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies