Asian Vote in 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:14:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Asian Vote in 2016
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Asian Vote in 2016  (Read 3495 times)
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2016, 05:24:17 PM »

So, I was really surprised to see Trump actually improve on Romney's numbers with Asian-Americans, winning 29%.

Is there any information on voting by ancestry?  How did Chinese-Americans, Japanese-Americans, Korean-Americans, Vietnamese-Americans, etc. vote?
Craziaskowboi
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 10:46:54 AM »
« Edited: November 13, 2016, 10:48:59 AM by Craziaskowboi »

Anecdotally, I know six Vietnamese. All six earn six-figure incomes. Five of the six have doctorates. Three of the six have passports.

All six voted for Donald Trump.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 10:54:25 AM »

I'd wait until we have precinct data because Orange County, CA and Fort Bend County, TX suggests otherwise.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 02:18:04 PM »

Any more information?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 02:47:19 PM »

I don't have detailed information, but I just wanted to point out a little tidbit - In Nevada, Hillary got 62 - 36 among Asian Americans, whereas Obama had just barely won them by a few points in 2012, and Kerry lost by same amount. No data on 2008 or 2000 that I could pull up immediately, but given her overall statewide margin, I'd say it is an important Democratic milestone in Nevada.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 03:06:15 PM »

ut preliminary numbers from a 14-state exit poll conducted by the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF) may offer a bright spot for Republicans. While Clinton performed better nationally with AAPI voters than President Barack Obama did in 2012 — winning 87 percent of the vote compared to Obama's 77 percent — President-elect Donald Trump secured double the AAPI support compared to GOP candidate Mitt Romney in Pennsylvania, a battleground state that helped Trump win the election.

What's more, Trump got 29 percent of AAPI support in Nevada, up eight points compared to Romney, according to AALDEF. Clinton, by contrast, garnered 69 percent, down 12 points compared to President Obama.

Despite gains in Pennsylvania and Nevada, Trump still fared worse than Romney in nine of the 12 states for which AALDEF reported numbers last week. That includes Wang's home state of California, where 17 percent of AAPIs backed Trump, compared to 34 percent who supported Romney in 2012.

Obama had 81% in Nevada??

This is the 2nd best Asian American result for Dems & better than 2008. 2012 was a historic high & Trump only got 29% to Romney historic low of 26%

Of the 6 groups surveyed - Trump did best among Korean, then Chinese, then Japanese, then Vietnamese, then Filipino & then Indian.

Clinton won all 6 groups comfortably & she won by the biggest number among Indian & then Filipino.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 03:08:36 PM »

I always assumed Asians vote overwhelmingly Democratic because most of them live on the Pacific, which is a liberal stronghold. Here in Georgia, it seems like Asians slightly lean Republican, just somewhat less Republican than Southern Whites. (I saw a map here a few years ago that supported this; I think BaconKing or another Georgia Dem posted the maps.) If Asians do vote similarly to their white neighbors, then the high amount of Dem vote must be due to their predominant placement in Democratic western states.
BoAtlantis

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 04:25:25 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2017, 04:53:35 PM by BoAtlantis »

ut preliminary numbers from a 14-state exit poll conducted by the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF) may offer a bright spot for Republicans. While Clinton performed better nationally with AAPI voters than President Barack Obama did in 2012 — winning 87 percent of the vote compared to Obama's 77 percent — President-elect Donald Trump secured double the AAPI support compared to GOP candidate Mitt Romney in Pennsylvania, a battleground state that helped Trump win the election.

What's more, Trump got 29 percent of AAPI support in Nevada, up eight points compared to Romney, according to AALDEF. Clinton, by contrast, garnered 69 percent, down 12 points compared to President Obama.

Despite gains in Pennsylvania and Nevada, Trump still fared worse than Romney in nine of the 12 states for which AALDEF reported numbers last week. That includes Wang's home state of California, where 17 percent of AAPIs backed Trump, compared to 34 percent who supported Romney in 2012.

This is the 2nd best Asian American result for Dems & better than 2008. 2012 was a historic high & Trump only got 29% to Romney historic low of 26%

Of the 6 groups surveyed - Trump did best among Korean, then Chinese, then Japanese, then Vietnamese, then Filipino & then Indian.

Clinton won all 6 groups comfortably & she won by the biggest number among Indian & then Filipino.

As a Korean-American, that really disappoints me if it's true.

Just looking at 2012 illegal immigrants numbers by country, it appears that Philippines and India had taken immigration as a factor in their votes since that's the group Hillary did best with.

So I am curious as to why Koreans gave the most support to Trump.

Korean Americans are heavily Christians so it initially makes sense that they are more Republican than other Asians but they had less of a problem with Obama's image as a possible Muslim. It could be that Obama maxed out the votes with his image as the first minority president.

But I also wonder if this is a symptom of viral nationalist movement growing among Koreans as well with incrementally unfavorable view of Geun-Hye Park and her globalization policy with the US.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 05:59:30 PM »

Just looking at 2012 illegal immigrants numbers by country, it appears that Philippines and India had taken immigration as a factor in their votes since that's the group Hillary did best with.

Korean Americans are heavily Christians so it initially makes sense that they are more Republican than other Asians but they had less of a problem with Obama's image as a possible Muslim. It could be that Obama maxed out the votes with his image as the first minority president.

But I also wonder if this is a symptom of viral nationalist movement growing among Koreans as well with incrementally unfavorable view of Geun-Hye Park and her globalization policy with the US.

Immigration isn't a big deal IMO as Trump supports legal immigration & most Asians can't immigrate illegally. And secondly Koreans also gave more support relative to other groups but Hillary still own the group comfortably.

I think there are many factors involved - Trump's sexual predatory, offensive language, idiotic economic comments, kill innocent people, steal oil from Iraq, ban on Muslims, etc which were a huge turn off to large proportions of the Asian community. In addition, Trump won't win Asian votes going against abortion (even if some may ideologically support it but they won't support a ban).

So I think the social, cultural, temperament issues are the primary concerns - And maybe that affected different groups to different extent. I know Trump went ahead & courted Hindus in temples & what not non-sense, that fell flat it seems.

I think possibly Koreans or Chinese consider Hillary more of a hawk, corrupt or are more tired of establishment & want some change.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 06:03:35 PM »

Insane to think Asians were once a sold Republican voting bloc

I wonder what effect Trump would have on the Asian vote if he starts trade wars with China

Won't be a big deal - If he actually steals oil from Iraq, all hell will break lose. Or if he bans abortions. Or if stars a stupid war or torture. Worse - if he bans Muslims, that bigotry is not gonna go down well, today it is Muslims, tomorrow it could be a blanket country.

Social, Cultural, Foreign Policy issues are much pivotal here than economic issues!
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 06:44:18 PM »

How exactly are the traditional exit polls defining "Asian Americans" then? That is not even remotely close to what they have stated for Nevada in 2004/2012/2016. In the first 2, the results were almost a draw.

If this was right, then the other exit polls are way, wayyy off.
BoAtlantis

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 07:09:12 PM »

Immigration isn't a big deal IMO as Trump supports legal immigration & most Asians can't immigrate illegally. And secondly Koreans also gave more support relative to other groups but Hillary still own the group comfortably.

I think there are many factors involved - Trump's sexual predatory, offensive language, idiotic economic comments, kill innocent people, steal oil from Iraq, ban on Muslims, etc which were a huge turn off to large proportions of the Asian community. In addition, Trump won't win Asian votes going against abortion (even if some may ideologically support it but they won't support a ban).

So I think the social, cultural, temperament issues are the primary concerns - And maybe that affected different groups to different extent. I know Trump went ahead & courted Hindus in temples & what not non-sense, that fell flat it seems.

I think possibly Koreans or Chinese consider Hillary more of a hawk, corrupt or are more tired of establishment & want some change.

I recall WIN/Gallup International showing that something like 82% of Korean citizens abroad would have preferred Hillary. I realize that support from abroad is different from the support here but it was #2 highest support for her among all countries surveyed. That poll was conducted back in early October.

President Park's scandal started being reported around late October to early November. IMO, this probably could have been a turning point for Koreans' change of mind. Perhaps the prospect of a woman presidency psychologically didn't seem as appealing as Korean Americans thought anymore or that Park's growing unfavorability happened to prove Trump correct in their eyes that globalists are corrupt.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 08:11:38 PM »

Anecdotally, I know six Vietnamese. All six earn six-figure incomes. Five of the six have doctorates. Three of the six have passports.

Wow!
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 08:25:15 PM »

Wow!

Yet the only reason Clinton won Orange County, CA by 8% was her dominance in Vietnamese communities.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 03:31:39 PM »

Vietnamese Americans used to be reliably Republican, but then the GOP decided to start ignoring them as we have with literally almost every other minority group. I believe McCain was the last GOP nominee to do well with Vietnamese. (http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/09/16/439574726/how-asian-american-voters-went-from-republican-to-democratic)

Overall, Asians vote heavily democratic:
- Obama 2008: 62% of Asians (http://www.pewhispanic.org/2009/04/30/dissecting-the-2008-electorate-most-diverse-in-us-history/)
- Obama 2012: 71% of Asians (http://www.politico.com/story/2012/12/poll-obama-won-71-of-asian-vote-085013)
- Clinton 2016: 65% of Asians (http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/analysis-how-exit-polling-missed-mark-asian-americans-n682491)

Bit surprised to see Hillary do worse w/ Asians then Obama.
hopper
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 04:45:53 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2017, 04:47:38 PM by hopper »

Kill Inoocent People- I don't remember Trump saying this maybe you can refresh my memory on that one.

Steal Oil Even as a White Person I went like huh? when he said that.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2017, 10:28:47 PM »

This could be solved by looking at key Asian American heavy precincts in say, certain states and evaluating how well they went GOP or Democratic. That was one way Cohn figured out that Trump did marginally better than Romney among Latinos.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 01:53:15 PM »

Kill Inoocent People- I don't remember Trump saying this maybe you can refresh my memory on that one.

He said: "You have to take out their families" referring to terrorists.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 02:14:10 PM »

My parents' Chinese American friends who voted Trump because "he's a businessman" and "I'm sick of wars" (literal quotes) already regretted supporting him after his sabre rattling. My parents who were reluctantly supporting Hillary now say they should have joined me in volunteering for her.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 03:06:15 AM »

I'd wait until we have precinct data because Orange County, CA and Fort Bend County, TX suggests otherwise.

This is where it's at---- in order to look at a voting block as diverse in terms of ancestry/country of origin isolated by heavily Asian-American precincts, we don't have a real picture based solely upon exit polls....

Precinct level data that has been observed from heavily Vietnamese-American precincts in both OC and Sugarland, TX appears to indicate a significant swing among this particular Asian-American Demographic.

I don't have detailed information, but I just wanted to point out a little tidbit - In Nevada, Hillary got 62 - 36 among Asian Americans, whereas Obama had just barely won them by a few points in 2012, and Kerry lost by same amount. No data on 2008 or 2000 that I could pull up immediately, but given her overall statewide margin, I'd say it is an important Democratic milestone in Nevada.

Idk about where exactly in Clark County the Asian-American population is most concentrated, but surely we can overlap precinct level results by US Census tract numbers to see if there is a means of further isolating the data in Nevada, but certainly interesting nonetheless.

Shadows add some interesting data to the mix regarding PA....

I know from personal experience that there is a significant Asian-American population concentrated within Philly, so *IF* we can isolate more heavily Asian-American precincts in the City, that might help add another data point.

This could be solved by looking at key Asian American heavy precincts in say, certain states and evaluating how well they went GOP or Democratic. That was one way Cohn figured out that Trump did marginally better than Romney among Latinos.

This is the key, as Gass first suggested above, as well as TD's input....

My thought is we should have an Atlas "crowd-sourcing" initiative to examine this data from multiple contributors, since trying to match precinct level data nationally to US Census data, is worthy of a Graduate Level thesis (Hint to any of our budding Poly-Sci Majors out there in search of a secondary-level research topic Wink )

Some of our friends from Washington State, and wishing Alcon still spent time on the Forum these days Sad could pull some numbers from heavily Chinese-American precincts in Seattle, for example, others could pull data from communities in NorCal (SF, Cupertino, San Jose, & Fremont), others from SoCal, as well as contributors from Texas, Virginia, and NYC for example to help map this in more detail.

So far, my results from heavily Asian-American precincts in Oregon, appear to indicate a significant increase of total Obama '12>Clinton '16 percentage of Democratic support....

So for example on my Oregon Election Results Thread, here are a few selected highlights of precinct/detailed level Asian-American voting results (Below the Forum link):

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=252085.0

Oregon County Update #10: Multnomah County- Part IV

Oregon HD 45: Ethnically, the district is slightly Whiter than average for Portland, but has one of the higher proportions of Asian-Americans for any HD within Portland.

The Asian-American population is most heavily concentrated in the Rose City Park area, other neighborhoods in the Central part of the district, and in the Eastern part.... Heavily SE Asian (Large and established Vietnamese population around the Hollywood District, as well as a large Laotian community). Not unusual at all driving down Sandy to see signs in jewelry stores in Vietnamese, Cambodian, and Laotian, as well as English....

Looking at the district by precincts, it appears that there was a major collapse of Republican support between '12/16 in areas with the highest Asian-American populations.... looking at the '04-'16 results there appears to be a correlation with areas with a significant number of both Asian and Latinos....

OR-HD-46: Although, like most of Portland the population is heavily White, this district has the highest % of Asian-Americans in the City (13.3%).

Similar to HD-45 however, the biggest swing towards Clinton was in Precinct 4604, that has one of the highest percentage of Vietnamese-Americans in the district....

These same precincts (4125 and 4362) were the most Republican in 2008 where McCain garnered 28 and 24% respectively....

Vietnam Vet John Kerry in these same two precincts won, but George W. captured 38% and 33% respectively....

So regardless it appears that the major shift was with Asian-American voters starting to shift towards Obama in '12 and completely abandoning Trump in '16, while at the same time there was some minor movement towards Trump among WWC voters living in the apartments closer to the I-205 in more heavily Latino parts of the district.

Oregon County Update #17- Washington County- Part II

Beaverton is rapidly diversifying in terms of a rapidly growing ethnic population of various backgrounds, but most significantly representing a rapid growth of Asian-Americans, and Latino-Americans in particular.

1.) Five Oaks/ Triple Creek----

Roughly 10% of the cities voters in '16, and has one of the highest Asian-American populations in the City.... Only about 57-58% of the population is Non-Latino White, and roughly 18% Asian and 16% Latino.    MHI is roughly $69k/Yr, a bit higher than the County average.

The Asian-American population in this neighborhood is heavily Indian-American (~13% of the Population)

2000: (51D- 44% R- 4% Nader)           +7 D
2004: (58D- 42 R)                               +16 D
2008: (67D- 30 R)                               +37 D
2012: (64D- 32 R)                               +32 D
2016: (66D- 22 R)                               +44 D

5.) Neighbors SW-    MHI-  $74.2k MHI ... 73% White, 17% Asian, 4% Latino

2000: (49-47 D)   +2 D
2004: (51-47 D)   +4 D
2008: (63-34 D)   +27 D
2012: (58-39 D)    +19 D
2016: (61-27 D)    +34 D

So looking at where the Republican % collapsed between '12 and '16, we see dramatic numbers across the board:

Five Oaks-            -9.8%
Neighbors SW-     -12.2%
South Beav-         - 10.1%
Sexton Mtn-         -8.9%

3/4 of these have the highest % of Asian-American voters in the City and all four a net increase in Dem % vs 2012.

Precinct 402: West Tigard

The wealthiest precinct in the city... on average Median home sales are ~ $600k/yr....

The highest Proportion of Asian-Americans in the City (~ 18%) with Korean and Vietnamese-Americans being the largest demographic within the Community.

2016: (54-33 D)      (25.7% of City Vote)             +21 D
2012: (49-48 D)                                                   +1 D
2008: (55-43D)                                                     +12 D
2004: (45-54 R)                                                    + 9 R
2000: (44-52 R)                                                     +8 R

Hillsboro Precinct 329: ( Orenco Nieghborhood)--- (MHI ~ $80k/Yr).... (76% White, 17% Asian-American--- roughly 50% Indian American, 25% Chinese-American, 12% Korean-American). (16% of City Vote).

Used to be more Republican than city at large...

2004: (46-52 R)   +6 R
2008: (55-42 D)   +13 D
2012: (53-43 D)   +10 D
2016: (59-28 D)   +31 D

We can roll over to the far NE Hillsboro Precincts (#332/333) that have some of the highest Asian-American populations in the County over the highway towards Amberglen.... with a large Indian-American population (11.5%) and Korean-American (5%) to see some of the impacts of Trump's "nuclear comments:....

Bethany.... the highest proportion of Asian-Americans of any community in Oregon (33%)....

If we look at the precinct with the highest proportion of Asian-Americans, (#367) ~45% of the population we see the following (Heavily Chinese & Indian-American, as well as a decent Korean-American population):

2004: (49-51 R)    +2   R
2008: (61-37 D)    +24 D
2012: (58-40 D)     +18 D
2016: (66-27 D)      +39 D

Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 04:14:42 AM »

"innocent People"  = Family of terrorists which could be any1 ranging from a 4-5 year old kid to 80 year old mother

"Steal Oil" = Take the oil from Iraq. If you invade a country (to kill terrorists or whatever) & then steal their natural resources like oil (which is banned by every international law) & take it to your own country, then Stealing is possibly dignifying that act.

@ Topic - Hillary perceived as a hawk on war seemed to effect her too. Many people are sick n tired of stupid wars from Iraq to Libya which don't have any positive effect & only bring misery to everyone.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies