Honest question here
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:50:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Honest question here
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Honest question here  (Read 887 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2016, 07:11:40 PM »

Trump appealed to several different groups of people in states as different as Mississippi, Utah and Pennsylvania.  Everyone thinks of his supporters as monolithic, but they proved to be from several different areas of the country, city sizes, education levels and income levels.  His message didn't just resonate with White people without a college degree.  Or he would have lost.

Clinton appealed to voters in states as diverse as Virginia, New Mexico, and Minnesota!!! See what I did there?!?

And yes, Trump's support was monolithic... monolithically white+rural.  Unfortunately the country generally is becoming increasingly monolithic/geographically+demographically stratified.

Trump literally won the suburban vote.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2016, 03:06:10 PM »

The EC was invoked to try to protect against pure democracy and the potential for tyranny it carries.

Even if it was (it wasn't) and even if that goal is a worthy one (it isn't), the College has done a pretty crap job of it, given 2016 and numerous other occasions. You might as well say "this seawall is designed to protect beach front from flooding, except when it rains at high tide".

I mean if you really want the election process of your country to be some sort of moral lesson about "not getting what you want" why not just put all the ballots in a hat and pick out a random one to be potus?

Okay?  And this election is hardly the example you think it is.  In fact, it demonstrates just the opposite.  Trump COULDN'T have won just by running up the margins among these so-called deplorables.  Trump appealed to several different groups of people in states as different as Mississippi, Utah and Pennsylvania.  Everyone thinks of his supporters as monolithic, but they proved to be from several different areas of the country, city sizes, education levels and income levels.  His message didn't just resonate with White people without a college degree.  Or he would have lost.

Not sure what you're getting at with your quote or your hat analogy.  I think it's pretty clear that Hillary Clinton needed to appeal to a lot more different types of people than winning huge percents of minority groups she's been telling horror stories about the GOP to, a SJW base and a few college-educated Whites who were pissed at their party.

The one time you can really make the argument that the EC 'avoided tyranny' was when they snubbed Jackson in favour of JQA. And that ended ... catastrophically, as everyone got pissed at elites screwing with their choice.

I mean, we can bicker about whose support was more diverse or representative or whatever but maybe I'm simple-minded, cause to me it seems quite logical for the winner of the most votes to, y'know, win the election rather than read obscure moral lessons into the Electoral College as if it wasn't a compromise that made sense for the times. (Like, nobody would support the EC if it wasn't already a thing - imagine if somebody seriously argued that governors should be elected via an EC!)
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2016, 03:02:56 PM »

Please make yourself useful and become a better poster.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies