How did Rod Blum survive? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:06:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How did Rod Blum survive? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How did Rod Blum survive?  (Read 1070 times)
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« on: November 16, 2016, 10:01:20 AM »

It's a little amazing (and is part of the understated story of the election) that Republicans ended up failing to knock off a single rural Midwestern Democrat. Trump won, by pretty solid margins and with massive swings from 2012, the districts held by Dave Loebsack, Ron Kind, Tim Walz, Collin Peterson, and Rick Nolan. But all five of them were reelected -- Kind was obviously lucky to be unopposed, but that shouldn't take away from the achievements of the other four.

Walz has always been a pretty impressive incumbent in my mind, seeing as his district was pretty neutral in years when he won convincingly. Also - not a blue dog.

Peterson's district is his as long as he wants it - but no democrat will ever win after he leaves. I'm going to guess his district voted for Trump by at least 13, maybe more.

Nolan winning was a bit of a surprise to me considering how Minnesota went, and he's to the left of both Peterson and Walz, and he doesn't like fundraising. I have no idea how Nolan won in all actuality.

That all said I'm still pissed that certified wacko Jason Lewis managed to snag a house seat.

If the Democrats are able to get back total control by 2021 (big if, I know), the 7th is the district that needs to go. 8th (new 7th) can pull out of Minneapolis exurbs and become a northern district, 1st can become a southern district, 6th can become a middle district, while 2, 3, 4, 5 stay in the Twin City metro area.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies