SNL's beautiful, non-comedic tribute to 2016 Election and Leonard Cohen
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:42:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SNL's beautiful, non-comedic tribute to 2016 Election and Leonard Cohen  (Read 1769 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2016, 05:08:02 PM »

Definitely worth watching and listening to.

https://youtu.be/BG-_ZDrypec
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 05:29:32 PM »

I thought it was terrible.

It's the kind of way they'd kick off the show after an event in which a lot of people died (IE- the first episode after the Newtown shooting started with a children's choir singing "Silent Night") and while their staff might not be happy with the outcome of the election, voters picking a bad candidate isn't the equivalent.

Hillary Clinton was a flawed but well-meaning person whose political career ended with an embarrassing defeat in a presidential election. It's no more a tragedy with her than it was for Papa Bush, Dole, Gore or Romney, and they shouldn't pretend otherwise.

I get the argument that it's moving for Clinton supporters, but that's not SNL's sole constituency. There are viewers who voted for Trump. There are viewers who voted third party. There are Democratic viewers who backed Sanders in the primary. There are viewers who didn't vote.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 05:33:18 PM »

Worst part of the show. Watch the Election Night bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHG0ezLiVGc

and Chapelle's monologue/stand-up routine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--IS0XiNdpk&
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 05:35:32 PM »

Where is Alec?

I want him back.

Chapelle is a comedic genius on any level.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 06:37:15 PM »

I'm sick and tired of comedians, who are supposed to be able to laugh at anything, turning comedy into just another bastardized venue for left leaning entertainment. Think George Carlin could survive the Clinton crowd?

I think the Leonard Cohen tribute was beautiful, but I also thought it was pretentious and antagonizing to a large amount of viewers.

Yesterday in Tallahassee was the Gaines Street Festival downtown. I went to see my best friend's band play and passed a "Dunk Trump" tank where some guy in a Trump costume could be dunked for a dollar per throw. It was being shared by Planned Parenthood and Transgender Tallahassee. I declined a chance to throw the ball but gave the Transgender Tallahassee organizers a dollar to put in the jar, and also though about giving the woman from Planned Parenthood with the bullhorn a piece of my mind as well before I realized that I was there to enjoy the music, not continue debates I've already won on Facebook

Why do they have to antagonize people? Why did SNL have to do this? Republicans like Leonard Cohen too.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 09:51:32 PM »

Thanks for posting this. Very good.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 09:59:53 PM »

It's the kind of way they'd kick off the show after an event in which a lot of people died (IE- the first episode after the Newtown shooting started with a children's choir singing "Silent Night") and while their staff might not be happy with the outcome of the election, voters picking a bad candidate isn't the equivalent.

How out of touch you are! Of course it is equivalent. The election was a disaster. And who cares? Republicans don't watch SNL.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 10:19:25 PM »

How out of touch you are! Of course it is equivalent. The election was a disaster. And who cares? Republicans don't watch SNL.

Bingo
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 10:38:54 PM »

I'm sick and tired of comedians, who are supposed to be able to laugh at anything, turning comedy into just another bastardized venue for left leaning entertainment. Think George Carlin could survive the Clinton crowd?

I think the Leonard Cohen tribute was beautiful, but I also thought it was pretentious and antagonizing to a large amount of viewers.

Yesterday in Tallahassee was the Gaines Street Festival downtown. I went to see my best friend's band play and passed a "Dunk Trump" tank where some guy in a Trump costume could be dunked for a dollar per throw. It was being shared by Planned Parenthood and Transgender Tallahassee. I declined a chance to throw the ball but gave the Transgender Tallahassee organizers a dollar to put in the jar, and also though about giving the woman from Planned Parenthood with the bullhorn a piece of my mind as well before I realized that I was there to enjoy the music, not continue debates I've already won on Facebook

Why do they have to antagonize people? Why did SNL have to do this? Republicans like Leonard Cohen too.

It's not about antagonizing people. Not everything is about you. I realize, though, that this is apparently a widespread problem among all Trump voters, not just you.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 10:51:47 PM »

There are Democratic viewers who backed Sanders in the primary.

What is with this idea that Sanders voters are 100% OK with Trump?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 10:53:02 PM »

Made me teary eyed.  Hillary deserved so, so much better for all she has sacrificed for this country.  She is not perfect by any means, but she is a god damn patriot.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 11:02:45 PM »

Anyway, this election was a national and global tragedy despite the fact that this isn't clear to everyone yet. Good on SNL for realizing that.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 11:04:31 PM »

Anyway, this election was a national and global tragedy despite the fact that this isn't clear to everyone yet. Good on SNL for realizing that.
This. We have dark days ahead and SNL has full right to acknowledge that.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 01:26:43 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2016, 01:42:53 PM by Victorious Deplorable »

It's not about antagonizing people. Not everything is about you. I realize, though, that this is apparently a widespread problem among all Trump voters, not just you.
It's actually more about me than it is for a rando Canadian who was anti-gay marriage, and anti-gay rights until he suddenly realized the truth and followed it with a complete political 180 to fit in with the new crowd. I've never seen someone change so much, so rapidly and it speaks volumes about your character. Quit using our country's political affairs to justify your emotional tourism. Quit using Trump to get attention for yourself. It's not about how LGBT school teachers in Vancouver feel, it's about how we feel. Ok? This is getting really old. Knock it off.
TC 25
Rookie
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 01:34:06 PM »

Typical left-wing propaganda

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 01:36:04 PM »

I actually agree with Sanchez on this being terrible and wimpy.

Kate McKinnon sucks, her Hillary impression sucked, she's just not funny.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 01:39:56 PM »

It's actually more about me than it is for a rando Canadian who was anti-gay marriage and anti-gay rights until he suddenly realized the truth and then did a complete political 180 to fit in with the new crowd. I've never seen some one change so much so rapidly and it speaks volumes about your character. Quit using our countries political affairs to justify your emotional tourism. It's not about how LGBT school teachers in Vancouver feel, it's about how we feel. Ok? This is getting really old. Knock it off.

Who exactly is "we" in this scenario?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2016, 01:45:47 PM »

I actually agree with Sanchez on this being terrible and wimpy.

Kate McKinnon sucks, her Hillary impression sucked, she's just not funny.

Sad
I liked this! Really beautiful
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 01:46:22 PM »

Bingo
You aren't kidding aren't you?

It's actually more about me than it is for a rando Canadian who was anti-gay marriage and anti-gay rights until he suddenly realized the truth and then did a complete political 180 to fit in with the new crowd. I've never seen some one change so much so rapidly and it speaks volumes about your character. Quit using our countries political affairs to justify your emotional tourism. It's not about how LGBT school teachers in Vancouver feel, it's about how we feel. Ok? This is getting really old. Knock it off.

Who exactly is "we" in this scenario?
The American citizens who voted in this election for any candidate. Didn't vote? Don't bitch. I don't bitch at the Syrians for being stupid enough to try and overthrow Assad, even though that has global consequences as well.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2016, 10:28:22 AM »

Loved this.

I get the argument that it's moving for Clinton supporters, but that's not SNL's sole constituency. There are viewers who voted for Trump. There are viewers who voted third party. There are Democratic viewers who backed Sanders in the primary. There are viewers who didn't vote.
Who the f**k cares? Do they have a right to a safe space? They can switch off the tv if they don't like it.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2016, 10:40:00 AM »

For better or worse, most people who go into entertainment and the arts also happen to lean to the left politically. This is nothing new. South Park has shown that it's possible to have a very successful, decades-long comedy show that doesn't cater to the PC left, if the creators choose a different path. If conservatives want their own comedy, there's nothing stopping them from making it.
elcorazon

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2016, 11:00:01 AM »

now praying for the good of the country is a partisan event.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2016, 01:17:01 PM »

For better or worse, most people who go into entertainment and the arts also happen to lean to the left politically. This is nothing new. South Park has shown that it's possible to have a very successful, decades-long comedy show that doesn't cater to the PC left, if the creators choose a different path. If conservatives want their own comedy, there's nothing stopping them from making it.
South Park isn't a "right-wing" show as much as they are contrarian. Great show, none the less, but I wouldn't call it a right-wing outlet because they happen to have PC Principal as a character.
elcorazon

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2016, 02:57:01 PM »

South Park isn't a "right-wing" show as much as they are contrarian. Great show, none the less, but I wouldn't call it a right-wing outlet because they happen to have PC Principal as a character.
no one called it a "right-wing" outlet
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2016, 04:28:42 PM »

no one called it a "right-wing" outlet
So what does "doesn't cater to the PC left" mean?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies