Will the left finally wake up and realize we need to change our thinking?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:07:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will the left finally wake up and realize we need to change our thinking?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: skip
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Will the left finally wake up and realize we need to change our thinking?  (Read 1035 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2016, 07:34:55 PM »

We went from having a super majority in the Senate and large majority in the house and plus having 29 Governorships plus many state houses during Obama's first term to now only having 48 Senate seats, 192 House seats, 15 governorships and a small minority of state legislators and now we lost the Presidency.

Will the left now finally realize that the current way of thinking will not allow us to win?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 07:35:56 PM »

What turned you from just a never trump republican to a full on democrat.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 07:38:59 PM »

Yes. Within the next decade, next decade and a half at most.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 07:41:06 PM »

Here's what's interesting- the GOP didn't change their way of thinking after 2008 and 2012, in fact they doubled down on it. They still ended up winning this year.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 07:41:35 PM »

Here's what's interesting- the GOP didn't change their way of thinking after 2008 and 2012, in fact they doubled down on it. They still ended up winning this year.

Battle, not the war. The war will go to the Democrats.
Jeffster
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 07:42:44 PM »

I'd say Trump was a big change from what Romney and McCain were selling.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 07:46:16 PM »

On trade for sure, but the message sent to Republicans in 2012 was that they needed to attract minority support to win. Instead they focused on driving up white turnout and flipping the remaining WWC that still voted Democratic.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 07:54:31 PM »

What turned you from just a never trump republican to a full on democrat.

I rethought about some of my core positions, I have been drifting leftward for years now, Trump's nomination accelerated that.

As evident with my sig
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 08:05:11 PM »

Democrats were pretty overextended in the House in 2008 and when you factor in gerrymandering, we really aren't that much worse off than we were pre-2006. The Senate is more of a mixed bag, but a fair number of lost seats were a combination of states that were long trending away from us and the unlucky nature of getting hit with 2 midterm waves in a row. We did hold it for 8 years in a row, and I think that is something at least.

Democrats absolutely need to appeal more to WCWs and even more important, never again allow the DNC to roll out the carpet for it's favorite, especially when they have a million scandals and problems following them around. This election was more than winnable - it's Clinton & the DNC that screwed it up.

But my overall point is that a lot of this is due to long-term structural changes in the party coalitions, holding the White House during a time of economic duress and to a degree, bad candidate selection & liberalizing faster than the broader electorate that we need to appeal to would allow. If Trump turns out to be an unpopular president, I think many people will come to see that things are far less dire than they think as large downballot wins rack up in the next 2 cycles.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 08:10:27 PM »

So much of what Democrats had when Obama first took office was based on the Bush Administration's failures and residual Blue Dog strength, which resulted in an inflated sense of Democratic strength. By 2018, I expect Democrats to be doing quite well. One party control tends to lead to dramatic electoral change in midterms.
AZDem
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 08:35:56 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2016, 08:40:49 PM by AZDem »

We went from having a super majority in the Senate and large majority in the house and plus having 29 Governorships plus many state houses during Obama's first term to now only having 48 Senate seats, 192 House seats, 15 governorships and a small minority of state legislators and now we lost the Presidency.

Will the left now finally realize that the current way of thinking will not allow us to win?

Democrats never had a super majority in the Senate. At most with 2 independents, they had 59 Senate after Specter switched parties. However, given ongoing MN Senate recount and court battles and Kennedy's health, they really only had around 57 active voting Senators for most of 2009. So it was extremely difficult to get anything done. Lieberman and Nelson from NE were mostly the reason there was no public option in the PPACA.

I believe the last time any party had a super majority was the Dems after the 1936 election when they had a whopping total of 75 seats.  They actually had a veto proof majority of 69 after the '34 midterms.
AZDem
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 08:36:28 PM »

Democrats never had a super majority in the Senate. At most with 2 independents, they had 59 Senate after Specter switched parties. However, given ongoing MN Senate recount and court battles and Kennedy's health, they really only had around 57 active voting Senators for most of 2009.

I believe the last time any party had a super majority was the Dems after the 1936 election when they had a whopping total of 75 seats.  They actually had a veto proof majority of 69 after the '34 midterms.

Nevermind, Dems also had 68 seats after 1964.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 08:48:33 PM »

No, we need to embrace Lena Dunham-style feminism, transgender rights, BLM, illegal immigrants, and call for the immediate ban of the Confederate flag. Don't forget to unfriend all Trump supporters on FB. They're irredeemable. We'll get 272 freiwall back with better data analytics, ground game, and more poll aggregation. Nominate a Mexican with connection to the mining industry and we can't lose. Salazar/Schumer 2020.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 08:52:04 PM »

No, we need to embrace Lena Dunham-style feminism, transgender rights, BLM, illegal immigrants, and call for the immediate ban of the Confederate flag. Don't forget to unfriend all Trump supporters on FB. They're irredeemable. We'll get 272 freiwall back with better data analytics, ground game, and more poll aggregation. Nominate a Mexican with connection to the mining industry and we can't lose. Salazar/Schumer 2020.

I know you say that sarcastically, but that's likely exactly what will happen.  There is absolutely 0 evidence that Democrats are learning their lesson.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 08:55:31 PM »

No, because they're too #triggered and need their safe space. As has been said in plenty of other threads, identity politics don't work. It took losing this election for me to realize that, and I am starting to realize how foolish I was for blindly supporting BLM, Tumblr feminism, etc. The left must embrace populism and let the identity politics happen on their own.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 08:58:27 PM »

Copying Trump is not going to get Democrats anywhere. It seems like some people want Democrats to start supporting segregation laws to start winning. If Democrats started talking about mass deportations, they would seriously be dead.

But of course, let's nominate David Duke in 2020 and see the party have a huge landslide.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 09:04:43 PM »

Copying Trump is not going to get Democrats anywhere. It seems like some people want Democrats to start supporting segregation laws to start winning. If Democrats started talking about mass deportations, they would seriously be dead.

But of course, let's nominate David Duke in 2020 and see the party have a huge landslide.

No need to talk about it when Obama has already done mass deportations without talking about it.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 09:08:52 PM »

No need to talk about it when Obama has already done mass deportations without talking about it.

My point is that Democrats aren't going to win by being a far-right, nationalist party. It's stupid that people even think this is even a good strategy.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2016, 09:19:09 PM »

I have very little confidence.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2016, 09:20:10 PM »

When 91% of those deported were previously  convicted of a crime, it makes a whole hell of a lot of a difference.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2016, 09:21:39 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2016, 09:25:47 PM by Jacobin American »

We may need to tweak a few things here and there, primarily to drive up turnout among our notoriously low-turnout demographic groups, but the electoral problems facing our party are largely attributable to the way our government is setup. A state of almost 40 million has as many senators as a state of 600 thousand, congressional districts are gerrymandered to favor white, rural areas, and Democratic votes outnumbered Republican ones at the Presidential level, yet we lost due to the inherent biases of the electoral college that inadvertantly favor White, rural states. Add to that a low turnout among our demographic groups, especially during midterms, and you have a recipe for Democratic disaster without us actually being in trouble based on the number of people who favor us.

We will have to change in some manner, even if only for the sake of working within the system we have. Whether that will be to increase our appeal to college educated Whites in the sunbelt or non-college educated Whites in the rust belt is the big question right now.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2016, 10:37:30 PM »

They also had 61 from 1976-1978
Democrats never had a super majority in the Senate. At most with 2 independents, they had 59 Senate after Specter switched parties. However, given ongoing MN Senate recount and court battles and Kennedy's health, they really only had around 57 active voting Senators for most of 2009.

I believe the last time any party had a super majority was the Dems after the 1936 election when they had a whopping total of 75 seats.  They actually had a veto proof majority of 69 after the '34 midterms.

Nevermind, Dems also had 68 seats after 1964.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2016, 10:41:14 PM »

I know you say that sarcastically, but that's likely exactly what will happen.  There is absolutely 0 evidence that Democrats are learning their lesson.

The Democrats are turning into the UK Labor Party. It's a real shame. America needs a healthy opposition party.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2016, 10:53:47 PM »

If they get rid of Stein, I'm going to go back to the Green Party. That is where my true beliefs lie.

Until another female is nominated, one that I can get behind that is (Not Stein and NOT Republican), I am back in the position I was when Bush W was President. I just tuned him (and especially Cheney) out for 8 years and disassociated myself from politics.

Who really knows what the Democrats need to do? And I don't care anymore. Good luck to the Dems.

hopper
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2016, 10:58:42 PM »

On trade for sure, but the message sent to Republicans in 2012 was that they needed to attract minority support to win. Instead they focused on driving up white turnout and flipping the remaining WWC that still voted Democratic.
Actually Trump did a tiny bit better than Romney did with Minorities.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies