Obama's legacy same as Carter's?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:11:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Obama's legacy same as Carter's?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Obama's legacy same as Carter's?  (Read 1937 times)
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2016, 09:54:29 PM »

I believe Obama's legacy will be far more far reaching than imagined and I say that as someone who opposed Obama for 8 years.

He laid out a very coherent counter to the Reagan Revolution and wasn't an accommodating figure like Clinton. I think he set himself up to be the forerunner of the eventual replacement of the Reagan Revolution.

I see him as a transitional figure, between the service economy and the AI / machine economy eras, where Obama sends clear signals about where we need to go. So I would rate him pretty well but I wouldn't rank him among the greats. Basically Woodrow Wilson/a successful Richard Nixon (in the sense he foreshadowed Reagan).
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2016, 10:16:47 AM »

No, I think it’s more comparable to Lyndon Johnson’s. Or the eight years after Kennedy/Johnson. A record of liberalism and reforms, especially in health care. The foreign policy record remains mixed though, while the personalities of Obama and LBJ are very different due to their personal background. Carter was seen as a weak and, yes, failed president. And Carter never created the kind of enthusiasm, our current president has and does to this day. Yes, I’d compare it to JFK/LBJ. JFK in terms of personality, LBJ in terms of policy achievements.
m4567
Rookie
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2016, 12:52:53 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2016, 12:54:27 PM by m4567 »

In the presidential cycle theory, I like to think of him as "Nixon done right."

In an overall historical sense, maybe Woodrow Wilson.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies