Chance the democrats go full corbyn in 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:27:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Chance the democrats go full corbyn in 2020
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Chance the democrats go full corbyn in 2020  (Read 3900 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2016, 10:57:42 AM »

Pretty high at this point, especially since it seems like we're going to hand the party over to Bernie without a fight.
And this is the right answer to the question posed by the OP. Many Democrats seem to think they lost because they were not left-wing enough, which is untrue.

What course should the Democrats go, then?

They need to be decidedly more (historically) "left-wing" in TONE on certain things (class issues, mostly) and decidedly less (contemporary) "left-wing" in TONE on other things (SJW nuttery, mostly).  None of this means they need to fundamentally change many of their views, IMO.  They just need to reaffirm themselves as a decidedly populist people that stands up for the "little guy," regardless of who that guy (or gal) is.  That's the reason pretty much anyone ever became a Democrat, right?  They believed in the idea that liberalism could help the less fortunate??  How that somehow morphed into including people like Lief or Hagrid who show obvious contempt for LOTS of less fortunate Americans all in the name of being in the "more enlightened" party is beyond me, and something the Democrats need to get under control.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2016, 12:43:43 PM »

Pretty high at this point, especially since it seems like we're going to hand the party over to Bernie without a fight.
And this is the right answer to the question posed by the OP. Many Democrats seem to think they lost because they were not left-wing enough, which is untrue.

What course should the Democrats go, then?

They need to be decidedly more (historically) "left-wing" in TONE on certain things (class issues, mostly) and decidedly less (contemporary) "left-wing" in TONE on other things (SJW nuttery, mostly).  None of this means they need to fundamentally change many of their views, IMO.  They just need to reaffirm themselves as a decidedly populist people that stands up for the "little guy," regardless of who that guy (or gal) is.  That's the reason pretty much anyone ever became a Democrat, right?  They believed in the idea that liberalism could help the less fortunate??  How that somehow morphed into including people like Lief or Hagrid who show obvious contempt for LOTS of less fortunate Americans all in the name of being in the "more enlightened" party is beyond me, and something the Democrats need to get under control.

I think this is fair, but also on economic issues it has to be more than a tone shift. Wealth inequality grew throughout Clinton's and most of Obama's terms as well. Banks got a bailout. Obamacare gave away millions to the insurance and pharmaceutical industries. If we don't tack left on economic policy and leave behind neoliberalism for good, no messaging will matter because they won't believe us.
Make My Bank Account Great Again
KingCharles
Rookie
United States

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2016, 02:10:54 PM »

There's very few Democrats that could fulfill this role effectively in 2020. The Berniecrat field of candidates ready to run in 2020 is either too old or just isn't there. I think the scenario where Democrats go full a Corbyn would occur in 2024 if they fail to unseat an incumbent Trump.

Social media and people's information bubbles are increasing to an extent I could never have imagined. The Green Tea Party will emerge these next few years as networks like TYT, Secular Talk, and Jimmy Dore claim their mantel as the media informants of the Democratic Party. Because the mainstream media did such a pisspoor job at both reporting the issues and also giving the perception that Hillary had this election in the bag, many liberals will tune them out in favor of the staunchly liberal outlets I listed above. The mainstream media will have lost a significant amount of credibility among Democratic voters. They will be blamed for not reporting the issues, giving Trump too much media coverage, lying about Hillary being the favorite to win, etc. This will cause many democrats and young progressives to further retreat back into their information bubbles.

The situation going on with the Democrats strikes me as being eerily similar to the Republicans after 2008. There's a genuine split between the Berniecrats. The coalition Bernie built between progressives, independents, millennials, blue collar workers, and white liberals vs the Hilldawg/Obama coalition of nonwhite, white collar, female, and more moderate Democrats. These two coalitions will continue to clash with one another. Unless Trump is a complete disaster by 2020, I believe he will win reelection. I don't think Trump will be as bad as people think he'll be so I'm assuming that he will win reelection.

I see 2020 playing out similar to 2012. The Bernie wing will have their Bachmann, Cain, and Gingrich like candidates who will rise and fall. The Hillary wing of the Party will (like the establishment republicans did in 2012) throw huge amounts of money into the campaign to destroy these people from winning the nomination. A Gavin Newsom/Cory Booker third way democrat will be the nominee and the Berniecrats will walk out of the convention.

2024 will be the moment when Berniecrats and Green Tea Party will have a stronger field of candidates to choose from. I think this will be the moment when the Democrats will go full Corbyn. I don't know if they will win in 2024 but history suggests that they will have a serious shot.

That would be an interesting dynamic. The GOP under Trump for 8 years would resemble a much more far right European style Party whereas the Demcorats would resemble a Corbynite Party. I guess we really are becoming more like Europe.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2016, 10:52:32 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2016, 10:54:06 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

0%. Bernie is quite electable, and I don't think anyone to his left is being mentioned as a serious possibility. Cornel West doesn't want to be a politician.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2016, 11:39:53 PM »

0 chance.

Even if Bernie Sanders won, Bernie is nowhere near as left as Corbyn.

There's simply no Democratic figure that left-wing who's also got enough experience to be a serious candidate.
Make My Bank Account Great Again
KingCharles
Rookie
United States

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2016, 12:14:49 AM »

0 chance.

Even if Bernie Sanders won, Bernie is nowhere near as left as Corbyn.

There's simply no Democratic figure that left-wing who's also got enough experience to be a serious candidate.

I agree that this won't happen in 2020. But if hyperpolarization continues (it's happening to the left and the right) and Dems lose with a third way Booker/Newsom type figure in 2020 then look out for a far leftist insurgency figure rising in the 2024 Dem primary.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2016, 04:34:02 AM »

Why do people think Gabbard is either GOP-lite or so commie weirdo? She seems a bit left/dovish for my tastes (based on what I see on fb) but she could probably make a great President or at least Veep. The only problem is that she is from Hawaii. She would be the biggest thing since Super Bad from Hawaii. But if Palin, from Alaska, could start a movement of violent loons and weirdos that wins Congress, why can't she?

She's a center-left moderate with a well-packaged anti-establishment left-progressive image that she's aggressively cultivated because she sensed a good opportunity to make a name for herself when Sanders came along. She's definitely to the right of even some moderate establishment Democrats like Andrew Cuomo and Cory Booker in reality. Loretta Sanchez is probably a good point of comparison in terms of actual ideology. Maybe that makes Gabbard GOP-lite (a lot of liberal Dems seem to think Sanchez is GOP-lite), but it's hard to imagine a Republican who would be capable of occupying that point on the political spectrum without being torn apart in a primary.

I actually think Gabbard stands a good chance of making a real splash from Hawaii, if only because she is excellent at self-promotion in a way that few other Democratic politicians are (really only Cuomo comes to mind of those with similar skills).

I think Gabbard isn't anywhere near Bernie in Minimum Wage or Single payer but she is decently strong on Climate Change, one of the few politicians who went to Standing Rock, she is very anti-wars & she did oppose TPP earlier too.

In many areas she is closer to Bernie, in some areas she is between Bernie & established Dems - I think she fits somewhere between the 2. But I don't think it is fair to cast her as opportunistic trying to get progressive cred. Do you remember when she joined Sanders? After Sanders was devastated in SC & after he had lost IW, NV & SC (the initial euphoria died) & everyone thought it was the end of Sanders 2016 as Super Tuesday was heavily laden with Southern states. Most people thought he wouldn't win a state outside VT.

It was considered suicidal with 0 benefit then - So let us give her the benefit of the doubt! And honestly she is considerably left to moderate Democrats like Manchin or McCaskill
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2016, 06:34:00 AM »

It's far more likely the Democratic Party goes the A Just Russia route.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2016, 06:56:54 AM »

It's far harder for geniunely radical candidates to win presidential primaries than it is for them to win UK-style party leadership elections. Important to note that Bernie of course did way better, generally speaking, in the caucus contests than in the primary contests.
andrew_c
Canada

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2016, 08:21:18 AM »

It won't happen. The Democrats may have moved to the left, but a candidate like Corbyn would be too left wing to be acceptable to the majority of the party.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies