Obama Twists the Dagger on HRC's 2016 Campaign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:56:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Obama Twists the Dagger on HRC's 2016 Campaign
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama Twists the Dagger on HRC's 2016 Campaign  (Read 1298 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2016, 05:14:54 PM »

"Good ideas don't matter if people don't hear them." I think he's onto something really important that we've been talking about for a while now. I especially like that dig of losing a county by 20 points instead of 50. He is not a happy camper right now.

Link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/barack-obama-democrats-loss_us_582a23eae4b0c4b63b0e041b
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 05:24:53 PM »

Yes, Obama is a decent man who hates elitism and corruption insides DNC in particular and liberal movement in general. He wanted to change it and failed unfortunately. It is btw one of the reasons why Obama voters in rural America switched to Trump.

Too bad he endorsed the Witch.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 05:31:57 PM »

This is exactly why I don't get people who complain about Democrats spending more time campaigning to rural and white voters. Or Hagrid saying "It's not all just about winning elections." It kind of is. All those good ideas don't amount to s**t if you're not selling them to everyone, everywhere. Our good intentions to help the lives of the working class and communities of color doesn't mean anything if we can't get elected to implement them.

I'd rather have 10 more Joe Manchins than a Republican Senate. If you're willing to write-off severe election losses in favor of ideological purity, perhaps you're the one speaking from the privileged position.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 05:33:09 PM »

Well his legacy is in shambles now so it's understandable he's upset. But he still appointed too many Republicans to national security and police positions. Nor did Mr. TPP ever do anything about the undercurrent of popular rage that built up over eight years. I wouldn't say he's blameless.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 05:41:10 PM »

This is exactly why I don't get people who complain about Democrats spending more time campaigning to rural and white voters. Or Hagrid saying "It's not all just about winning elections." It kind of is. All those good ideas don't amount to s**t if you're not selling them to everyone, everywhere. Our good intentions to help the lives of the working class and communities of color doesn't mean anything if we can't get elected to implement them.

I'd rather have 10 more Joe Manchins than a Republican Senate. If you're willing to write-off severe election losses in favor of ideological purity, perhaps you're the one speaking from the privileged position.
You don't even have to have Joe Manchins. Hell, you can run Bernie Sanders types in some of these places if you want and they'll still have a chance if they at least don't outright write off half of the country.

Well his legacy is in shambles now so it's understandable he's upset. But he still appointed too many Republicans to national security and police positions. Nor did Mr. TPP ever do anything about the undercurrent of popular rage that built up over eight years. I wouldn't say he's blameless.
I don't know about that. Obama isn't particularly loved among Trump's core primary base but on the whole most people generally seem to be kinda meh on him. This was entirely about Hillary Clinton. I'm glad to see he's taking her to task now.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 05:45:34 PM »

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 06:50:27 PM »

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.

As an individual who grew up in a WWC background, but yet privileged enough to make it into a private college, thanks to a small fortune in student loan debt, this is exactly what I have been saying for quite some time.

Reviewing the county level returns in my native Oregon, I am still shocked at how well Trump was able to perform in many parts of the state, that although they have been trending Republican since the early '90s as a result of "Timber War" politics generally have not voted nearly as overwhelmingly Republican in Presidential Elections, although certainly upstate/downstate dynamics are at play in Statewide contests.

Although Clinton won Oregon by 11-12% once all the votes are counted, Liberal Oregonian Senator Ron Wyden won with +23%, including outperforming in many counties that Trump won by 20+%.

This is not an accident, and despite whatever type of "realignment" of WWC voters that some are claiming, shows how rural and small-town voters are receptive to an economic Liberal message and will vote Democratic for the right candidate, that they feel is speaking for and representing their interests.

Obama is dead on the money here, and appealing to small-town and rural voters is not simply a horse trade of a coalition college educated White suburbanites and "ethnic minorities" versus the coalition that propelled Trump towards an EC win, but rather a mixture of substantive policy positions, effectively communicated, real attention to the distinct issues that rural and small-town industry is facing.

Like every other community, votes need to be earned and not taken for granted, and the Democratic Party has done an extremely poor job on this count, with Clinton hitting an historic low in many of these voters, even in traditionally New Deal FDR counties, and quite frankly sounded a bit tone deaf while she kept hitting Trump on his personality and temperament and not actually on economic policy and deliverables to what is still an extremely large constituency.

Obama was bang on the money, and as I have stated repeatedly on multiple threads, going after Bernie on guns pissed off a ton of rural and small-town Democratic leaning voters, since there is a HUGE difference between owning a firearm for hunting and protection and "suing gun manufacturers" because a weapon was used in a criminal offense.

Trump was able to successfully portray her as a "corrupt Washington insider" for these swing voters, and unlike any other recent Democratic Presidential nominee, her campaign chose not to focus on an economic compare and contrast, but instead buy into the giant reality show that is Trumpland, and for many voters the absence of an economic emphasis, combined with frustration about the slow rate of economic growth in many of our communities, caused them to fill in the ballot for Trump, regardless of their personal dislike and revulsion of his personality, temperament, actions & statements.

It was Clinton's campaign to lose, and despite all of the warning signs from the Democratic and Republican Primaries, the fatal choice was made to go after Trump on character, but in the process she ceded the policy arguments to Trump since she never effectively presented an alternate vision.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 07:00:18 PM »

Anyone got a list of the number of Hillary visits to states after the convention? We know that she didn't visit Wisconsin once, and Michigan only once, which was just fail. I know that at the end of the campaign, she was only visiting a couple of states a day, while Trump managed to visit 5 in a day.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 07:21:58 PM »

Anyone got a list of the number of Hillary visits to states after the convention? We know that she didn't visit Wisconsin once, and Michigan only once, which was just fail. I know that at the end of the campaign, she was only visiting a couple of states a day, while Trump managed to visit 5 in a day.

Maybe she lacked the fortitude and stamina.... Wink

I wish that there was a separate thread on the campaign visits during the GE campaign.

Makes me want to play that election game again, where you can place your campaign and surrogates into different states, adjust schedules at the last minute based upon internal polling, etc....

Unfortunately, I don't have the list, but yeah am thinking there were huge chunks of the country that were ignored, including several of the "Firewall States".

I'm sure one of our colleagues has been tracking this on a spreadsheet somewhere.... Smiley
Panda Express

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 07:33:14 PM »

Oh please. Obama's going to look great being sandwiched between Bush and Trump.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 11:48:59 PM »

I wish that there was a separate thread on the campaign visits during the GE campaign.

Makes me want to play that election game again, where you can place your campaign and surrogates into different states, adjust schedules at the last minute based upon internal polling, etc....

Unfortunately, I don't have the list, but yeah am thinking there were huge chunks of the country that were ignored, including several of the "Firewall States".

I'm sure one of our colleagues has been tracking this on a spreadsheet somewhere.... Smiley

True - She didn't campaign hard  - Trump worked his a** off, did so many rallies & won. Some1  with Clinton's stamina should not be running IMO!

But Obama is 100% right. The stand Clinton took was that Gun Shop owners & mfg should be held accountable for gun crimes even if they had nothing to do with it - That was completely unfair - You can't blame a car seller if it is used for killing or a knife seller - That would be the end of 2nd amendment! It hurt really bad in the GE!

She barely spoke about policies making it a Personality Driven contest & paid the price for that! The damage Clinton & her band of followers have done to the Dem party is unreal - The party is in the worst state in 100 years - On the verge of ruin!
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 11:50:12 PM »

“I won Iowa not because the demographics dictated that I would win in Iowa. It was because I spent 87 days going to every small town and fair and fish fry and VFW hall,” he said. “So the challenge for a national party is how do you dig in there and create those kinds of structures, so that people have a sense of what it is that you stand for. And that increasingly is difficult to do just through a national press strategy.”

Obama said it like it is!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 12:40:07 AM »

True - She didn't campaign hard  - Trump worked his a** off, did so many rallies & won. Some1  with Clinton's stamina should not be running IMO!

But Obama is 100% right. The stand Clinton took was that Gun Shop owners & mfg should be held accountable for gun crimes even if they had nothing to do with it - That was completely unfair - You can't blame a car seller if it is used for killing or a knife seller - That would be the end of 2nd amendment! It hurt really bad in the GE!

She barely spoke about policies making it a Personality Driven contest & paid the price for that! The damage Clinton & her band of followers have done to the Dem party is unreal - The party is in the worst state in 100 years - On the verge of ruin!

Hillary demanded that Bernie apologize to the Sandy Hook victims because of that vote. And then she went to rural Pennsylvania and talked about how great the 2nd amendment is and how her father taught her how to shoot. The Internet was a huge problem for Hillary, you can't just have contradictory messages for different media markets and get away with it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 01:30:09 AM »

lol how is that twisting the dagger?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 02:40:08 AM »

It was total BS trying to bag Bernie on guns.... I haven't run the numbers since that debate, but I suspect when she went that route, and went further down the rabbit hole in subsequent debates, she not only lost rural/small-town Democratic voters to Trump, but additionally lost Indies and Moderate Republicans in many of these communities, that were lost pre "PussyGate".... Sad

I am not a gun owner, and quite frankly am a bit uncomfortable seeing a friend wave a 9 mm around in his 300 sf efficiency in a small college town (Totally legal from a Navy vet) back in the early 2000s) while I was in the room.

Although I haven't been able to obtain precinct level results from Philomath Oregon yet, I suspect this small city of 4.5k swung hard towards Trump after voting heavily for Obama in '08/'12.

I had friends that worked in one of the last timber mills standing, where it went from three to one in a few short years, and Larry worked 3rd shift as a security guard in a non-union position to protect the plant from the "Tweakers" that have increasingly become the norm over the past 15-20 years in rural and small town Oregon. Sad

I lived in this small mill town for awhile, and commuted to my job in the mailroom at a "boom town" next door, and straight-up I was extremely surprised to see Bernie dominate in many of the rural communities and small mill-towns that I used to call home, considering that Clinton was considered a shoe-in....

All of those Clinton boosters out there ignored the giant "Red Flag" when she was getting killed in the primaries in working-class Democratic small town USA....

But...but...but.... only the votes from Super Tuesday count.  Wait, losing Michigan and Wisconsin don't count....

Ok... but what about PA and OH?  That can't be blamed on Bernie holdouts....

Reap what you sow, and although I got a college degree, I never came from rank and privilege, and never voted Republican or Democrat for President until 2004 when my buddy died outside of Taji/Camp Cooke in Iraq..... I consider myself an Obama Democrat and reluctantly voted for her in the GE after supporting Bernie in the primaries.....

In Oregon, unless you are just a creature of the City and suburbs, guns are a way of life, but for hunting and self-protection and unlike where I lived in Texas, most people don't flip on common sense items like universal background checks....

People flip on economic issues.... ancestral New Deal Democratic counties in Oregon flipped Trump, and even crazier in the Industrial Midwest, including my former residence in Ohio....

Why does that happen..... it's a situation where many voters feel that the Democratic Party abandoned them, and not that they don't support bread and butter party economics.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 05:32:44 AM »

It was total BS trying to bag Bernie on guns.... I haven't run the numbers since that debate, but I suspect when she went that route, and went further down the rabbit hole in subsequent debates, she not only lost rural/small-town Democratic voters to Trump, but additionally lost Indies and Moderate Republicans in many of these communities, that were lost pre "PussyGate".... Sad

I am not a gun owner, and quite frankly am a bit uncomfortable seeing a friend wave a 9 mm around in his 300 sf efficiency in a small college town (Totally legal from a Navy vet) back in the early 2000s) while I was in the room.

Although I haven't been able to obtain precinct level results from Philomath Oregon yet, I suspect this small city of 4.5k swung hard towards Trump after voting heavily for Obama in '08/'12.

I had friends that worked in one of the last timber mills standing, where it went from three to one in a few short years, and Larry worked 3rd shift as a security guard in a non-union position to protect the plant from the "Tweakers" that have increasingly become the norm over the past 15-20 years in rural and small town Oregon. Sad

I lived in this small mill town for awhile, and commuted to my job in the mailroom at a "boom town" next door, and straight-up I was extremely surprised to see Bernie dominate in many of the rural communities and small mill-towns that I used to call home, considering that Clinton was considered a shoe-in....

All of those Clinton boosters out there ignored the giant "Red Flag" when she was getting killed in the primaries in working-class Democratic small town USA....

But...but...but.... only the votes from Super Tuesday count.  Wait, losing Michigan and Wisconsin don't count....

Reap what you sow, and although I got a college degree, I never came from rank and privilege, and never voted Republican or Democrat for President until 2004 when my buddy died outside of Taji/Camp Cooke in Iraq..... I consider myself an Obama Democrat and reluctantly voted for her in the GE after supporting Bernie in the primaries.....

In Oregon, unless you are just a creature of the City and suburbs, guns are a way of life, but for hunting and self-protection and unlike where I lived in Texas, most people don't flip on common sense items like universal background checks....

People flip on economic issues.... ancestral New Deal Democratic counties in Oregon flipped Trump, and even crazier in the Industrial Midwest, including my former residence in Ohio....

Why does that happen..... it's a situation where many voters feel that the Democratic Party abandoned them, and not that they don't support bread and butter party economics.

Great post!
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 09:44:50 AM »

Thanks for the great post.

I would like to ask, do you think this is irreversible?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2016, 09:00:00 PM »

Shame on you Hillary Clinton!

henster
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2016, 10:20:08 PM »

Should've pushed Biden to run, I gather when he was considering Obama pushed him against it.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2016, 12:02:14 AM »

Thanks for the great post.

I would like to ask, do you think this is irreversible?

Of course it's reversible .... for example one could look at the Oregon Senatorial results even in rural and small-town Oregon counties that Trump not only dominated, but created historical levels of Republican voting patterns.

Even Peter Defazio who is a total Progressive Democrat with a Socialist tint almost won Coos County, captured almost 43% in in Douglas County (+40% Trump), and won Lane County by +32% (C +19).

I can't speak to these patterns in the rest of the USA, BUT I will say that there are many ancestral FDR New Deal Democrats in Oregon that yearn for someone to represent their interests, and for many reasons some of my people swung heavily Trump. Sad

Obama did a much better job than Clinton in terms of communicating directly with these voters, although Mike Dukakis actually performed at record levels in Eastern and Southern Oregon with a bread and butter pitch to small town and rural voters, where a Black Man (Jesse Jackson) won over 45% of the vote in a state with very few brothers and sisters.....

I don't buy the racist argument when it comes to Oregon in terms of Trump supporters, just like many of these small town and rural residents in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania that voted for Trump because they personally liked Obama and had voted for him one or two times, felt that Clinton was not going to represent an expansion of jobs in their communities.

Again, totally reversible.... unless one thinks and talks in the language of Coastal Elitism, and actually presents an economic argument with a compare/contrast, and most importantly actually spends some time on the GE campaign talking with rural voters, as opposed to Clinton's "Comprehensive Plan to Solve Poverty in Appalachia" that got exactly 0% Media coverage....

Bottom line, White Working-Class voters are not a bunch of racist bigots (Otherwise would Obama have performed so much better than Clinton within this Demographic Huh?)

Clinton failed on an epic level among traditional FDR/New Deal/ Obama WWC voters, and it was all because she was not "focused on the economy stupid".

fwiw.... you can't be a President running as a Dem and get killed on economic issues and expect to float bcs the other dude is a "fill in the blanks" and not present a vision for many of the small towns and communites (Granted heavily D State) and expect to defeat a Reality TV star that is offering hopes and dreams, that are likely completely unfeasible as part of the path to victory.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2016, 12:16:14 AM »

Even Peter Defazio who is a total Progressive Democrat with a Socialist tint almost won Coos County, captured almost 43% in in Douglas County (+40% Trump), and won Lane County by +32% (C +19).

Everything else you said made sense but

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2016, 01:00:19 AM »

Everything else you said made sense but

the /Congres

Confused?Huh

Peter Defazio is one of the major leaders in the Congressional Progressive caucus....

It is true that he has never identified as a "Socialist" nor "Social-Democrat", however his policy positions and voting habits, put him to the far Left of a vast chunk of his constituents, however his extremely progressive economic policy positions are actually quite popular in places like Roseburg and Coos Bay/ North Bend Oregon...

Not sure where you're going with all that, but yes in the eyes of many Southern Oregonians Defazio  has a Socialist lean, and it actually helps and doesn't hurt in rural Lane, Douglas, Coos, and Northern Josephine Counties....

Still color me confused on your statement.....
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2016, 01:20:34 AM »

Such a stupid title.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico