Chances both tickets have a poc
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:48:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Chances both tickets have a poc
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: How likely is it that both major party tickets will have a person of color?
Somewhat Likely

Very Likely

Somewhat unlikely

Very Unlikely

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 82

Author Topic: Chances both tickets have a poc  (Read 3245 times)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2020, 12:19:53 PM »

In the United States at least, and if not, then holy sh!t, how have I never met one, I live in Los Angeles, spend summers in Texas, and have never even seen one. I can't imagine they're a large segment of the Latino community by any means. I've never met a Cuban arab, even in Miami with my family, and they haven't afaik.
John E. Sununu's father was born in Cuba but not "Cuban". His grandparents were just passing through Cuba at the time of his birth. Also, his mother's ancestry is European (Irish, Scottish, English).

There are over 4 million Arab Latinos in Argentina, over a million in Venezuela, Colombia and Mexico, almost a million in Chile and sizable populations in Ecuador, Honduras and El Salvador.
Motorcity

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2020, 12:22:54 PM »

it's rather odd that 75% of hispanic/latino senators are of cuban descent.
Cubans were considered honorary white people for most of the 20th century. They didnt face the same discrination as mexican americans
Motorcity

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2020, 12:34:25 PM »

Does anyone really consider Nikki Haley a POC, outside academia or the beltway?

How many MAGA rednecks in South Carolina even knew their governor was an Indian-American?

Same sh**t with Ted Cruz. He looks white and never talks about his cuban ancestory. The average 6 beer pack Joe thinks its like Tom Cruise
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2020, 04:23:41 PM »

How many MAGA rednecks in South Carolina even knew their governor was an Indian-American?

Same sh**t with Ted Cruz. He looks white and never talks about his cuban ancestory. The average 6 beer pack Joe thinks its like Tom Cruise
Well, Ted Cruz is white. His father is a white Cuban and his mother is a white American.

Nikki Haley is white-passing to many people. I remember being surprised when I learned that her parents were Indian.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2020, 04:27:46 PM »

Relatively likely, as even a White GOP nominee might want to pick one as a VP pick.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2020, 05:07:23 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2020, 05:18:20 PM by TDAS04 »

You could say that the SC gubernatorial races of 2010 and 2014 were between two people of color, if you want a broad definition: An Indian and a Lebanese.

Also, he died recently, but would Armenian-American CA Governor George Deukmejian have counted as a Republican of color?  Or was he too literally Caucasian?  lol
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2020, 06:30:39 PM »

You could say that the SC gubernatorial races of 2010 and 2014 were between two people of color, if you want a broad definition: An Indian and a Lebanese.

Also, he died recently, but would Armenian-American CA Governor George Deukmejian have counted as a Republican of color?  Or was he too literally Caucasian?  lol

Armenian might count as "Middle Eastern". It is literally Caucasian, but Caucasian meaning white is a pretty stupid term anyway.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2020, 06:41:16 PM »

Well, Ted Cruz is white. His father is a white Cuban and his mother is a white American.

Nikki Haley is white-passing to many people. I remember being surprised when I learned that her parents were Indian.
But would you still consider Hispanics and Latinos as POC, since they're mainly white?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2020, 06:43:30 PM »

But would you still consider Hispanics and Latinos as POC, since they're mainly white?
Some Latinos are white. Most are mixed.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2020, 08:03:51 PM »

Some Latinos are white. Most are mixed.
First of all, most self identify as white, 53% from the 2010 census, would you consider them POC or not?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2020, 08:39:37 PM »

First of all, most self identify as white, 53% from the 2010 census, would you consider them POC or not?
Many Latinos identify as "white" on the Census even if they are not due to various reasons but that is a conversation for a different day and different forum.

Most Latinos in the US are POC, imo.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2020, 08:43:39 PM »

Haley is an Indian-American thus she is a POC. This is not an opinion , but a fact.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2020, 09:29:12 PM »

Many Latinos identify as "white" on the Census even if they are not due to various reasons but that is a conversation for a different day and different forum.

I've never seen that, what's your proof?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2020, 09:45:19 PM »

Um, I'm not getting into this like I said. This conversation is NOT for a political forum. Have a good night.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2020, 09:48:11 PM »

Um, I'm not getting into this like I said. This conversation is NOT for a political forum. Have a good night.

Lol what.  Put up or shut up.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2020, 09:49:27 PM »

You've got no statistics, and as a Latino, I've never seen this nonsense you're spewing.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2020, 10:02:27 PM »

You've got no statistics, and as a Latino, I've never seen this nonsense you're spewing.
Both of you are being disrespectful. Anyways, I already said that THIS IS NOT A CONVERSATION FOR A POLITICAL FORUM. Good night. That is it.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2020, 10:04:21 PM »

Both of you are being disrespectful. Anyways, I already said that THIS IS NOT A CONVERSATION FOR A POLITICAL FORUM. Good night. That is it.

Yes, it is a conversation for a forum.  Motion denied.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2020, 10:06:36 PM »

"White" is a default for a lot of Hispanics because there is no "Mestizo" racial category, and most Hispanics don't think of themselves as Native American. If you give them a choice, only about 30 percent choose part white:

But in 2015, the Census Bureau tested a unified question that treated Hispanic origin as like a race, which corresponds to how most Americans think of ethno-racial groups. Respondents could report more than one origin. Almost 30 percent of Hispanics indicated a second ethno-racial origin — which, in most cases, was white. The unified question delivered superior results to the two-question approach in other ways, such as a dramatic reduction in the number of Americans (mostly Hispanic) who claim an unclassifiable “other” option on race.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2018/02/06/theres-a-big-problem-with-how-the-census-measures-race/
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2020, 08:13:26 PM »

Both parties will deny playing identity politics, and then play identity politics. I think both have one white dude and one non white dude. Obviously Kamala is one, and stupid arguments above me aside, Nikki Haley fits the bill perfectly.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2020, 11:39:49 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2020, 11:43:25 PM by Kansas City Suburbanite for Orman-Clinton-Kelly For Marshall »

Barack Obama had a weird foreign sounding name, so Cletus in WV knew he was not a' real American'. If Obama had a generic sounding  'American' name, he would have done better.
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2020, 01:37:13 AM »

The Democratic ticket definitely will, while the GOP ticket almost certainly won't. The Republicans are not ready to nominate a POC at the top, and whoever that inevitably White person is will not want to risk alienating the base by choosing a POC as VP.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2020, 03:23:32 PM »

75% chance
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies