The Search for the next Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:39:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Search for the next Obama
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Will we find the one?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 141

Author Topic: The Search for the next Obama  (Read 9979 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2016, 10:40:43 PM »

We need the next FDR at this point.

EDIT: And ninjaed by GoTfan.

This.

And we have to hope trump continues acting like some Jimmy Carter who barely defeated Ford/Nixon to make even that work.
drwho1
Rookie
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2016, 12:29:54 AM »

booker
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2016, 01:32:07 AM »
« Edited: November 15, 2016, 01:35:25 AM by pppolitics »

Maybe we can get Michelle to run as a backdoor to get the Obamas back into the White House.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2016, 07:24:50 AM »

Barack Obama is just too unique to have an obvious analogue. The most similar President I see to him is Dwight Eisenhower/

What matters most will be that the Republicans will allow a free and fair election in 2020. People who believe that their unrestrained greed is the highest purpose in political and economic life and hold the power to inflict and enforce such generally do not yield power except out of fear of the guillotine or firing squad.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2016, 07:28:31 AM »

So is Obama
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2016, 07:45:47 AM »

Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2016, 10:29:53 AM »

This.

And we have to hope trump continues acting like some Jimmy Carter who barely defeated Ford/Nixon to make even that work.

Who the hell would that next FDR be though?

The Democratic bench is so weak right now. Corey Booker? Kirsten Gillibrand? I feel like none of the names floating around right now can fill that much needed role of "next FDR."

I feel like Bernie was close to being that guy, but he was too old and little too "out there." 
m4567
Rookie
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2016, 10:44:19 AM »

Under the right circumstances, I think Warren could win in 2020.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2016, 10:45:50 AM »

Under the right circumstances, I think Warren could win in 2020.

I think so too.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2016, 11:51:24 AM »

We'll find the next Obama as soon as the Republicans find the next Reagan.

The next reagan won the presidency last week.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2016, 01:21:07 PM »

This.

The Democratic bench is so weak right now. Corey Booker? Kirsten Gillibrand? I feel like none of the names floating around right now can fill that much needed role of "next FDR."

I feel like Bernie was close to being that guy, but he was too old and little too "out there." 

Technically FDR ran on a fairly conservative platform before getting into the presidency and then realized he needed a much more expansive, left-wing solution. So maybe we should look for someone who runs as a semi-conservative but is actually left-wing? I don't know, the exact analogy doesn't seem to fit modern politics that well.

But I do agree that the Democratic bench is very lightweight at this point. Maybe Kamala Harris? I'm not sure.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2016, 01:21:41 PM »

If the 2008 primaries had been as rigged as the 2016 ones, there wouldn't have been a President Obama.

Truest statement I've seen in awhile.

Mythiest statement I've heard in awhile. There was no "rigging", Obama won for the same reason Clinton did, the AA vote allowed her to rack up YUGE margins in the south. There was no "active resistance" to Sanders from the DNC until May when it became mathematically impossible for him to win. Then the Russians came in with their propaganda spreading lies about the DNC and got all the gullibles to buy it.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2016, 01:42:23 PM »

Technically FDR ran on a fairly conservative platform before getting into the presidency and then realized he needed a much more expansive, left-wing solution. So maybe we should look for someone who runs as a semi-conservative but is actually left-wing? I don't know, the exact analogy doesn't seem to fit modern politics that well.

But I do agree that the Democratic bench is very lightweight at this point. Maybe Kamala Harris? I'm not sure.

That's why I don't think people should always immediately write off politicians that at first appear to be "not liberal enough," or too wealthy, or whatever. They could surprise you. It's not always so black and white.

However, I feel it's worth noting here that FDR/Democrats had massive majorities in Congress for the first 6 years (and still significant majorities up until 1942), which allowed him to pass so many favorable policies. Democrats also had huge support at the state level, so that helped too. It's not enough to just want another FDR-like president. We need a governing coalition large enough to implement the policies we are fighting for. That's a much more difficult goal.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2016, 02:44:08 PM »

That's why I don't think people should always immediately write off politicians that at first appear to be "not liberal enough," or too wealthy, or whatever. They could surprise you. It's not always so black and white.

However, I feel it's worth noting here that FDR/Democrats had massive majorities in Congress for the first 6 years (and still significant majorities up until 1942), which allowed him to pass so many favorable policies. Democrats also had huge support at the state level, so that helped too. It's not enough to just want another FDR-like president. We need a governing coalition large enough to implement the policies we are fighting for. That's a much more difficult goal.

Exactly, though I'm still a little concerned about some of the financially center/right Democrats these days. Less backbone so far.

And of course, that majority was elected with FDR, so we can't tell if a potential modern-day "FDR" will govern that way unless they get Democratic majorities elected along with themselves.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2016, 01:26:16 AM »

This.

That's close to what I thought Hillary would be.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2016, 10:21:52 AM »

This is kind of like Republicans looking for the new Reagan.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2016, 11:35:03 AM »

This.

That's close to what I thought Hillary would be.

Hillary would have been a better candidate if she didn't have so much "baggage," and had an authentic personality like Bill and Obama.

She also would have done better if she focused mostly on the issues and her vision for the country. Instead her entire campaign was focused on disqualifying Donald Trump.
swky_0rn
Rookie
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2016, 12:47:11 AM »

I like too see joe Kennedy run/
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2016, 12:49:23 AM »

This is so true lol
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2016, 01:53:49 AM »

I see what you did there Wink
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2016, 04:05:02 AM »

The amount of myopia in this thread is hilarious and depressing.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2016, 07:25:47 AM »

I guess some people are into that.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2020, 09:53:22 PM »

With a Biden win, people will stop with this crap
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2020, 09:57:44 PM »

With a Biden win, people will stop with this crap
A lot is still left to be desired.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2020, 10:39:19 PM »

Democrats were searching for "the next JFK" until Obama, so probably not for a while.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies