Sabato/Cook/Rothenberg 2017/2018 Ratings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:17:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Sabato/Cook/Rothenberg 2017/2018 Ratings
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Sabato/Cook/Rothenberg 2017/2018 Ratings  (Read 1857 times)
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2016, 06:04:04 PM »

I imagine the Democrats will pick up a number of "solid R" open seats just because that's really been the norm for midterms for the party that doesn't hold the White House.   Governor races really don't follow partisan lines like both the Senate/President do.

If so - another scenatio is also possible: expected Trump blunders will not seriously affect governor elections with their own dynamics. In such case Democrats will NOT "pick a number of "solid R" open seats"

Not very likely.   Even 2002, which was otherwise a good R year, the Republicans lost a good number of governor seats simply because Bush was in the White House (They did gain some in the deep south though).

Governor seats going the opposite way of the White House has almost become a norm in the country.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2016, 08:26:07 PM »

I imagine the Democrats will pick up a number of "solid R" open seats just because that's really been the norm for midterms for the party that doesn't hold the White House.   Governor races really don't follow partisan lines like both the Senate/President do.

If so - another scenatio is also possible: expected Trump blunders will not seriously affect governor elections with their own dynamics. In such case Democrats will NOT "pick a number of "solid R" open seats"

Not very likely.   Even 2002, which was otherwise a good R year, the Republicans lost a good number of governor seats simply because Bush was in the White House (They did gain some in the deep south though).

Governor seats going the opposite way of the White House has almost become a norm in the country.
Also some states like alternating the party of their executive. State government candidates can also distance themselves from the national party pretty well (Freudenthal, Beebe, JBE, etc.) but the three I mentioned are probably unelectable for a Senate seat.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2016, 08:38:19 PM »

Also some states like alternating the party of their executive. State government candidates can also distance themselves from the national party pretty well (Freudenthal, Beebe, JBE, etc.) but the three I mentioned are probably unelectable for a Senate seat.

I think JBE could have won a Senate race against Vitter, but other than that I agree.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies