Kerry's Contract with America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:59:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Kerry's Contract with America
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kerry's Contract with America  (Read 1532 times)
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 26, 2004, 01:10:08 AM »

The April 25 edition of Road to the White House on C-SPAN showed Kerry giving a speech to the ASNE.  In the speech he outlined his own 'Contract with America".  Any thoughts?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 01:13:09 AM »
« Edited: April 26, 2004, 01:20:54 AM by Lunar »

Looked around:
http://blog.johnkerry.com/blog/archives/001583.html#more

You can find the entire speech there.

Here is a small section of the speech:

"So much of what I know about being an American I learned in Vietnam. I didn't have to go, but the tug of duty and country compelled me. The lessons our band of brothers learned have been with us ever since. On that tiny boat, we no longer came from different races, regions, or religions. We were Americans, together under the same flag, stronger for giving ourselves to a cause bigger than ourselves."

I think there will be a little bit of this in all of his speeches.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 01:49:01 AM »
« Edited: April 26, 2004, 01:50:01 AM by Lunar »

Can Kerry go two minutes without saying "Vietnam"?

Actually it was quite a long sppech so I assume we went at least 2 minutes.  It's a good campaign strategy though.  Annoying of course, just like the "don't call me unpatriotic" stuff, but that's politics.
NHPolitico

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 01:51:22 PM »

The April 25 edition of Road to the White House on C-SPAN showed Kerry giving a speech to the ASNE.  In the speech he outlined his own 'Contract with America".  Any thoughts?

The Contract was a list of actual bills.  Does Kerry have such a list?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 02:07:31 PM »

"...That is why, in the months ahead, Republicans and Democrats must make this election a campaign of ideas, not attacks - not just point fingers at one another, but point America in a new direction..."

gotta love that, eh jmfcst?

"I believe that to be strong in the world, we must be strong at home, and that in Andrew Jackson's words, the promise of America is "equal opportunity for all, special privileges for none." I believe the measure of America's economy is a growing middle class, and to achieve that we must expand the reach of opportunity, not the size of government.  I believe in the values that form our common bond: hard work, fairness, and truth. Most of all, I believe that citizenship brings responsibilities as well as rights, and that all Americans have a duty to give something back."

Are you sure you're a Democrat, Mr. Kerry?

"But we share the same goal of total victory. You can count on this: No matter who wins this presidential election, the terrorists will lose."

Nicely done, sir.  Bottom line:  I skimmed the speech and found it to be moving and coherent, something you don't always get with Bush, but Kerry sees a much bigger role for government than I do, so bringing up FDR programs doesn't swing my vote.

That said, I too liked the way he managed to work Vietnam into the speech, but I'm not sure at what point the Democrats started to become such big fans of vietnam service  Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies