When and how exactly did the Democratic Party shift away from its WWC-base?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:09:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  When and how exactly did the Democratic Party shift away from its WWC-base?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When and how exactly did the Democratic Party shift away from its WWC-base?  (Read 1434 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 15, 2016, 02:07:01 AM »
« edited: November 15, 2016, 02:12:31 AM by Blue3 »

When exactly did the Democratic Party shift away from its WWC (white working class)-base?

The Democrats (called Democratic-Republicans at first) started off under Jefferson and his successors, and clearly had the best equivalent of WWC-base at the time and were their majority... and they completely took over the party with the election of Jackson. The Democratic presidents between Jackson and Cleveland all seemed to be of the same vein.

Cleveland was an aberration, a more business-friendly, self-disciplined, austere president. He doesn't seem to fit into the "Democrats are based off WWC populism" narrative, but that narrative doesn't seem to have ended with Cleveland.

The Democrats soon roared back to WWC populism with William Jennings Bryan.

Wilson then seemed like another aberration, some technically-progressive policies like an income tax and more happened under him, but he was rather elitist, especially compared to a contemporary like Teddy Roosevelt.

Then Franklin Roosevelt comes in, and while he doesn't come across like a Jackson or Bryan (or even his own cousin on the GOP side), he is still the champion of the WWC, both in the farms and the factories. But the Democrats also became more than that, I think, around this time, or maybe it was the Cleveland/Wilson element (whatever that was).

Truman, Kennedy, and Johnson don't seem to fit into the WWC narrative, at least in my perception but it could be wrong (I'm no historian). Several factors happened in the 60's (Vietnam, Civil Rights, Great Society, to name a few)... but it feels like the WWC had somehow already begun to lose ground as the Democrats' focus, perhaps? But how did that happen? What did Truman, Kennedy do? What took over their focus, the Cold War or something else or a combination? What changed the Democrat's path?

Carter seemed to be a return to old-style WWC outsider populism, but something seems to have derailed him there. What?

Then came the Reagan Democrats, which I think was another name for WWC back then.

Bill Clinton seemed to win them back, although he never won a majority of the country due to Perot... and while Bill Clinton connected with them, it's debateable but some would argue his policies weren't catered to them that much.

Then came the Bush years, and he seemed to win a decent number of them.

Obama won, but his support among this group seemed to decline, and now declined even more to just narrowly give Trump the edge over Hillary Clinton (though Trump does seem to have won the WWC-demographic by itself rather easily, even among white women in a year with potentially the first female President).

List of Democratic Party nominees, for reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Democratic_Party_presidential_tickets

So what happened? What is the narrative of the Democratic Party's relationship with the WWC? Make sense of these facts to me! Tongue
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 05:59:41 AM »

Couple things:

1. Truman was absolutely WWC, at least compared to his main adversaries.
2. The so-called 'Reagan Democrats' didn't actually go for Reagan. Many of them went for Nixon in 1972, but the kinds of Democrats Reagan did well among were more akin (demographically if not ideologically) to the sorts of people Hillary did well among this year.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 12:39:39 PM »

I certainly don't think there has ever been a time, including now, where the Democrats didn't at least THINK of themselves (and at the very least advertise themselves) as the champions of the working class ... the working class is just a LOT less White (and certainly less White than the middle- or upper-class) than it ever has been.  I'm still not sure there's ever been an election (outside of Southern voters after the Civil War, of course) where there wouldn't be a correlation between lower income and more loyal Democratic support ... heck, even Clinton-Trump had that.

We have just started defining the "working class" as not having a college degree.  Go back and look at old Gallup exit polls, they ask if your profession is "Prof. & Business, White Collar or Manual."
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 08:07:39 PM »

Any more thoughts?
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 12:39:59 PM »

I think White Work Class folks are going to be in for a big surprise when they see Trump is unable to bring all these well paying unskilled jobs back!

I know he is seen as the messiah to them and that he can do anything and everything, but LOL they will be way disappointed.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 04:25:47 PM »

Bush's Presidency 
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix