After all, should we give Donald Trump a chance?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:34:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  After all, should we give Donald Trump a chance?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: After all, should we give Donald Trump a chance?  (Read 1299 times)
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2016, 06:03:05 PM »

Keep in mind that if Hillary had won, it would be business as usual. But enough people didn't want business as usual anymore, so Trump was elected. He will hopefully serve a purpose in shaking up the corruption and stuckness in Washington and get the fuddieduddies all riled up and afraid for their jobs, and maybe they'll start working for the America people instead of themselves.

I'm not saying Trump is an angel, but you gotta admit, people fear him. What's he gonna do next? He's gonna hopefully keep people on their toes. Obama was a nice person and where did that get him? Congress walked all over him. I don't think they'll be able to do that with Trump.

Andrew
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2016, 06:07:37 PM »

. . . we're probably going to have a hard right Supreme Court for several generations.

It must be terrible to be the oldest member of the Supreme Court.  For a year-and-a-half out of every four, you have to listen to how you're going to die during the next administration.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2016, 06:18:13 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2016, 08:39:27 PM by pbrower2a »

Have very low expectations for anything going well.  Republicans are going to be able to enact practically any legislation not prohibited by the Constitution, and Democrats will be able to do nothing to stop it except for an occasional filibuster/

On federal issues, Democrats have nothing left but protests and demonstrations.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2016, 06:24:14 PM »

The most distraught people I know irl are actually comparative political scientists who study authoritarianism. From what they say, Trump is exhibiting literally all of the qualities of the authoritarian strongman's playbook, from requesting clearance for his family, packing the political system with his loyalists, threatening to jail political opponents, and threatening the free press. And the takeaway from them is that you should not stand idle and try to rationalize away his actions as he does exactly what he says he's going to do. In countries like Turkey and the Philippines, people thought that there was no way this could happen, and well - it did.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.dissentmagazine.org/blog/trump-victory-regime-change-lessons-autocrats-erdogan-putin
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2016, 07:26:11 PM »

The most distraught people I know irl are actually comparative political scientists who study authoritarianism. From what they say, Trump is exhibiting literally all of the qualities of the authoritarian strongman's playbook, from requesting clearance for his family, packing the political system with his loyalists, threatening to jail political opponents, and threatening the free press. And the takeaway from them is that you should not stand idle and try to rationalize away his actions as he does exactly what he says he's going to do. In countries like Turkey and the Philippines, people thought that there was no way this could happen, and well - it did.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.dissentmagazine.org/blog/trump-victory-regime-change-lessons-autocrats-erdogan-putin

One of my worries is that for at least 2 years, there is no way to have any check or oversight on him. Republicans can't be relied on to keep him in check. They are going to turn a blind eye so they don't hurt their chances in the next election. I really think there is a good chance Trump abuses the hell out of his power and there needs to be someone to push back.

But for the record, I have faith in our institutions. Even if Trump was the kind to try and go full-dictator (I don't think he will. His admin. will probably just be Nixon-level corrupt), I don't think he could. Maybe I'm wrong. However, I do think it's ridiculous for people to assume that this could never happen in our country.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2016, 07:35:19 PM »

I'm not going to hope for my country to fail, but I'm not going to give Trump a chance unless he earns it. His campaign was driven by anger, hate, fear, and division, and unless he makes a large effort to change course (simply saying "stop it" to people committing hate crimes isn't going to cut it), he will not earn my respect. Yes, he did win, he will be the POTUS, and I'm not denying that, but I have every intention of standing up for what I believe in, and no intention of blindly lining up behind a man who has made so many people feel unwelcome here, and shows a penchant for authoritarianism. The Resistance is here to stay.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2016, 07:47:31 PM »

Not at all, because it's clear from the start that he isn't going to do a good job.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »

We don't have much of a choice. Trump got the vote with the rigged EC system. We were lucky to have Obama for 8 years, now the pendulum is swinging the other way. That's how it always is. If we are unhappy with the results of a Trump Presidency, then we can turn out to vote him out next time, just like the voters who turned out to vote him in this time did.

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2016, 08:01:38 PM »

Of course not. The GOP's oppose-everything-Obama-wants-to-do-even-if-they-want-to-do-that-too strategy has no place in politics. Really I would be ashamed if my party stooped to their level. If we can agree on various issues, we should try and come to agreements that help solve this country's problems.

However, Democrats should never let the public forget who Trump is, what he has done and what he has said. Never let the media "normalize" him as if he's just another politician. Never let anyone forget how much of a scumbag this man is.

You can't simultaneously work with him and prevent him from being "normalized". What a terribly easy message to destroy on the campaign trail. It's one or the other.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2016, 08:05:10 PM »

I think the appointment of any family member by Donald Trump is a fatal mistake.

Surely he must see that, given that he is handing over his company management to them in a 'blind trust'.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies