In act of complete betrayal, LAPD won't help deport illegal immigrants
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:33:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  In act of complete betrayal, LAPD won't help deport illegal immigrants
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: In act of complete betrayal, LAPD won't help deport illegal immigrants  (Read 1148 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 15, 2016, 11:55:31 AM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lapd-says-no-to-trump-immigration-enforcement_us_582af03de4b0c4b63b0e5d76

I don't agree with Trump's immigration plan, but at this point, we elected him and must comply with his plans.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 11:57:55 AM »

It's not their job to do to that. It's their job to keep the peace in the local community.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 11:59:33 AM »

I think I've heard that other police departments will do the same.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 12:04:22 PM »

They won't go through with it. They will listen to Trump. Also, when did LAPD become bastions of social justice? This is not their job.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 12:08:02 PM »

Betrayal? It's not their job to do this, that's for forces at the federal level. This is just Huffington Post trying to get an Anti-Trump movement narrative going.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 12:08:25 PM »

The LAPD has not only the right, but also the moral obligation to disobey President Trump.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 12:24:15 PM »

It's not their job to do to that. It's their job to keep the peace in the local community.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 12:37:28 PM »

The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 12:46:54 PM »

Sie müssen beachten!
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 12:53:34 PM »

ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 12:55:32 PM »

Wulfric fails again. Doesn't know what the polices job is.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 02:03:49 PM »

I think I've heard that other police departments will do the same.

Rahm said the Chicago PD would do the same thing
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 02:37:47 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, shouldn't you be in Canada by now Wulfric?

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 02:38:37 PM »

How exactly would you enforce Trump's plans? Arrest every single Hispanic person and demand proof of citizen or resident papers? Every time a Hispanic is arrested, you demand their papers? The police departments don't have the resources or will to do either. That's ICE's job.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 02:44:49 PM »

I'm not comfortable with this resistance. These people broke the law. They are illegal immigrants. I may not like the new president, but he's the president. And they should not be disobeying federal agents, regardless.

Being a sanctuary city really ticks me off - you guys aren't above the law. The law is that illegal immigrants came into this country and broke the law.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 02:49:41 PM »

I'm not comfortable with this resistance. These people broke the law. They are illegal immigrants. I may not like the new president, but he's the president. And they should not be disobeying federal agents, regardless.

Being a sanctuary city really ticks me off - you guys aren't above the law. The law is that illegal immigrants came into this country and broke the law.

It ticks you off, does it?  You're just ticked!  LOOK AT THOSE ILLEGAL BROWN PEOPLE!   THEY REALLY TICK ME OFF.

Take your 5th grade concept of morality somewhere else.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 02:54:34 PM »

That's not a betrayal.

On the other hand, De Blasio's active plan to shred government documents to conceal them from the federal government may just be, if Trump wants to pick that fight.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2016, 02:57:19 PM »

It ticks you off, does it?  You're just ticked!  LOOK AT THOSE ILLEGAL BROWN PEOPLE!   THEY REALLY TICK ME OFF.

This isn't 5th grade morality. We have borders and an immigration system for a reason. We have a process to deal with legal migrants and otherwise.

When you break the law, by crossing the border, that's really breaking the law, a necessary one. I hate to say it, but Trump is not entirely wrong on immigration on the whole, aside from mass deportation.

Sanctuary cities seem to be basically "Screw you, what do you want to do about it" to the federal government, when the federal government has a constitutional and functional obligation to manage our immigration system.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2016, 03:06:40 PM »

This isn't 5th grade morality. We have borders and an immigration system for a reason. We have a process to deal with legal migrants and otherwise.

When you break the law, by crossing the border, that's really breaking the law, a necessary one. I hate to say it, but Trump is not entirely wrong on immigration on the whole, aside from mass deportation.

Sanctuary cities seem to be basically "Screw you, what do you want to do about it" to the federal government, when the federal government has a constitutional and functional obligation to manage our immigration system.
So... they broke the law by "crossing the border" (which goes to show that you're really just anti-Latino)... but we shouldn't mass deport them?

Would you instead like to just hold them in animal cages and deport them at a slow, steady pace?

Let's face it.  If we enacted the economic realities necessary to make cheap immigrant labor unnecessary, you would be bitching about the price of strawberries and janitors.  You'd be real ticked off.

Instead you want their labor but you also want them living in fear because "THE LAW IS THERE FOR A REASON!  SORRY BUT TRUMP IS RIGHT!"

Barf me out.  Gag me with a spoon.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2016, 03:14:52 PM »

It's not their job to do this unless they detain an illegal for a serious crime. I oppose sanctuary cities as much as the next Trump voter but we have other means of getting rid of the more problematic illegals while working towards a solution that grants amnesty but not total citizenship.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2016, 03:30:41 PM »

So... they broke the law by "crossing the border" (which goes to show that you're really just anti-Latino)... but we shouldn't mass deport them?

Would you instead like to just hold them in animal cages and deport them at a slow, steady pace?

Let's face it.  If we enacted the economic realities necessary to make cheap immigrant labor unnecessary, you would be bitching about the price of strawberries and janitors.  You'd be real ticked off.

Instead you want their labor but you also want them living in fear because "THE LAW IS THERE FOR A REASON!  SORRY BUT TRUMP IS RIGHT!"

Barf me out.  Gag me with a spoon.

No. I want a system that we can enforce, where the rule of law means something. I don't want people crossing the border here and then we create a new law to give them citizenship with conditions, and all that. Yes, we'll have to do that anyway, but it's also, in some sense, deeply unfair.

I'm not anti-Latino. I didn't vote for Trump. I don't think Trump is a qualified president and I find the alt-right despicable. But believing in the rule of law - including enforcement of it - does not make me a racist.

I do not favor slow deportation. I do favor deportation of all illegal immigrants that come across the border after January 20, 2017. For our current crop, I'd deport criminals and then legalize the rest somehow.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2016, 03:32:51 PM »

It's not their job to do this unless they detain an illegal for a serious crime. I oppose sanctuary cities as much as the next Trump voter but we have other means of getting rid of the more problematic illegals while working towards a solution that grants amnesty but not total citizenship.

Sanchez, the voice of reason! This election has truly made strange bedfellows of us all.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2016, 03:35:55 PM »

This is about all local police departments can do in terms of deporting illegal immigrants. As other people have said, unless the police have someone in custody they have no role in the process of deportation.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2016, 03:54:51 PM »

Hilarious, but not at all surprising, how quickly Wulfric has goose-stepped behind Trump.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2016, 04:04:59 PM »

Hilarious, but not at all surprising, how quickly Wulfric has goose-stepped behind Trump.
I assume the only reason Wulfric hasn't supported Trump this whole time is because Trump is militant enough on banning Islam.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies