President Trump vs. Sen. Kamala Harris
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:17:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  President Trump vs. Sen. Kamala Harris
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: President Trump vs. Sen. Kamala Harris  (Read 9256 times)
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2016, 01:23:40 AM »

Voters will see Harris as having done nothing remotely close to qualifying her for the Presidency.  Even Trump had decades of executive experience at the highest levels of business.

I can't speak for others, but in my book Harris's political career (district attorney and AG of the largest state) already makes her more qualified than Trump, at least based on his business career.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2016, 02:11:52 AM »

Kamala Harris is massively over-rated, Her Cory Booker Gillebrand they are vanilla midgets when it comes to charisma & progressive values. They will get 0 support from the young & progressive base.

I am okay Jeff Merkley or Elizabeth Warren running from the Senate or Tulsi Gabbard running from the Congress. De Blasio, Mayor NY is also an option. Heck even a corporate stooge like Schumer is better than the Harris-Booker types!

Dems lose because they want to play identity politics, woman card & black card. Obama was a terrific candidate, incredible orator, won states like Iowa a white state with significant deeply religious people, won millennials big & even white working class. To paint it as a black guy victory is wrong.

Dems played the woman card with Hillary & lost big. Try that again - Muslim or Black or Women & you will lose. Pick the best candidate fro the job!
Okay, I'm going to call this bullsh** out right now. It's not identity politics just because a woman or a black person is nominated. Donald Trump ran a campaign that was full of identity politics. It just so happened the identity he appealed to was the largest single identity in the country.

I am tired of this racist nonsense that's trotted out every four years. White guys have their own identity and their own form of identity politics. You should be ashamed of yourself.

OK then, please enlighten us on how Harris isn't just an identity politics candidate.

She is a great speaker, has experience as AG, will be a Senator, and generally has progressive positions on the issues. Who exactly are you proposing as a better candidate?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2016, 03:11:10 AM »

Kamala Harris is massively over-rated, Her Cory Booker Gillebrand they are vanilla midgets when it comes to charisma & progressive values. They will get 0 support from the young & progressive base.

I am okay Jeff Merkley or Elizabeth Warren running from the Senate or Tulsi Gabbard running from the Congress. De Blasio, Mayor NY is also an option. Heck even a corporate stooge like Schumer is better than the Harris-Booker types!

Dems lose because they want to play identity politics, woman card & black card. Obama was a terrific candidate, incredible orator, won states like Iowa a white state with significant deeply religious people, won millennials big & even white working class. To paint it as a black guy victory is wrong.

Dems played the woman card with Hillary & lost big. Try that again - Muslim or Black or Women & you will lose. Pick the best candidate fro the job!
Merkley is charismatic and progressive enough for the job? Okay then.

And Harris is actually pretty charismatic if you listen to her victory speech. Not a single conservative idea there.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2016, 03:16:13 AM »

Okay, I'm going to call this bullsh** out right now. It's not identity politics just because a woman or a black person is nominated. Donald Trump ran a campaign that was full of identity politics. It just so happened the identity he appealed to was the largest single identity in the country.

I am tired of this racist nonsense that's trotted out every four years. White guys have their own identity and their own form of identity politics. You should be ashamed of yourself.

OK then, please enlighten us on how Harris isn't just an identity politics candidate.

She is a great speaker, has experience as AG, will be a Senator, and generally has progressive positions on the issues. Who exactly are you proposing as a better candidate?

How about a real progressive like Sanders or Warren so that millennials show up to vote next time?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2016, 03:41:09 AM »
« Edited: November 16, 2016, 03:45:03 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

We've been played before with these candidates like Obama who didn't have much of a record, and turned out to let Citibank name their cabinet. Harris needs a long voting record before we determine that she isn't some Obama like fraud, especially when all the establishment is behind her, and her sister was a key figure in the Hillary campaign. I left the race blank rather than vote for this overrated establishment candidate or some literal Blue Dog who says stupid sh**t.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2016, 06:47:02 AM »

Harris is overrated and only appeals to urban liberals. You need to combine Bernie's social democratism, to JBE's southern speaking style and appeal, with someone like Jon Tester, Stephyn Lynch to get a candidate that can appeal to every day Americans, and working class
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2016, 06:49:40 AM »

Harris is overrated and only appeals to urban liberals. You need to combine Bernie's social democratism, to JBE's southern speaking style and appeal, with someone like Jon Tester, Stephyn Lynch to get a candidate that can appeal to every day Americans, and working class
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2016, 07:04:42 AM »

Are you guys delusional that Kamala Harris isn't an Identity candidate? This woman has never even been a senator - The run has to announced in 1st half of 2019? She will barely be 2 years in the Senate!

Is Kamala Harris a progressive champion? Does she have a mass base? Will she have any support outside CA or among millennials? She shouldn't be running for POTUS just because the donors or the party leadership like her!

It is crazy that someone who has not even been to the Senate or a Governor is hyped about a Presidential run. What is this obsession with 1st time senators of color or who can be used for identity politics?
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2016, 07:05:47 AM »

And I'll add - 'able at least to speak well to and establish relations with communities of color' to the list.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2016, 09:07:40 AM »

Everyone one of whom is a white male.  I thought we're supposed to be foreswearing 'identity politics', or does that only apply to women and minorities?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2016, 09:45:36 AM »

Everyone one of whom is a white male.  I thought we're supposed to be foreswearing 'identity politics', or does that only apply to women and minorities?
Basically, the Democrats need a white guy to be nominated like the Republicans needed a black guy, Latino guy, or a woman to win the White House.

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2016, 09:46:30 AM »

"It's identity politics if the person nominated isn't the same identity as me"
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2016, 12:20:42 PM »

How about a real progressive like Sanders or Warren so that millennials show up to vote next time?

And how exactly is Harris a fake progressive?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2016, 12:38:57 PM »

And how exactly is Harris a fake progressive?

Exactly, there's a bit of a circle-jerk reaction here that assumes that because the highest echelons of the DNC liked her, and they liked Hillary, and that the latter didn't hit old progressive bastions to well in the Midwest that clearly Harris cannot be progressive.

There's also a reaction thanks to Obama and Booker that seems to assume that the average minority politician isn't left at all, and that Ellison is some kind of fluke.

But newsflash: One doesn't win The Bay Area, especially not that specific part of the Bay Area without being progressive.  This isn't the 80's or even 2000's anymore where some Feinstein or Davis or Newsom can slip through.

Also, pretty sure getting at odds with Feinstein and barely defeating a MODERATE Republican in 2010 do not a "centrist" make.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2016, 01:08:28 PM »

Has Harris actually accomplished anything in her career other than getting elected? Her Wikipedia page certainly doesn't come across like she has.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2016, 01:08:46 PM »

how isn't Gabbard an identity politics candidate who takes money from Sheldon Adelson, goes on Fox News to recite Republican talking points, and stands with Donald Trump on refugee policy.

not to mention she comes from a family that has dominated Hawaii politics for years and for the worse of it, seeing as they're basically DINOs.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2016, 01:11:29 PM »

Has Harris actually accomplished anything in her career other than getting elected? Her Wikipedia page certainly doesn't come across like she has.
We elect our DA's, so you have to be elected to become a DA or Attorney General.

Plus she served as an unelected Deputy DA
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2016, 01:15:54 PM »

We elect our DA's, so you have to be elected to become a DA or Attorney General.

Okay, but has she actually accomplished anything noteworthy while in these positions?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2016, 01:20:23 PM »

Okay, but has she actually accomplished anything noteworthy while in these positions?
https://oag.ca.gov/about
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2016, 01:23:33 PM »

Quoting the Wikipedia article I assume you didn't read -

As Deptuy D.A., ranked as one of the top 100 lawyers in California, which I assume would be pretty hard to do.

As D.A., started a program to help first time drug dealers earn a high school degree and find employment.

Despite all of the pressure, she avoided pursuing the death penalty for the murderer of Officer Isaac Espinoza. She stood by her principles.

She's made a platform of her career lowering the recidivism rate.

she got a better settlement for home owners after rejecting a deal that was too lenient.

There's more if you bothered to read her wikipedia page. You may not like what she's done, but she's done quite a bit. She's progressive, she's principled, she's bold. And the democrats here want to throw her name into the trash because "identity politics" and lololol she's a black woman that's "identity politics".

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2016, 01:25:46 PM »

As Deptuy D.A., ranked as one of the top 100 lawyers in California, which I assume would be pretty hard to do.

As D.A., started a program to help first time drug dealers earn a high school degree and find employment.

Despite all of the pressure, she avoided pursuing the death penalty for the murderer of Officer Isaac Espinoza. She stood by her principles.

she got a better settlement for home owners after rejecting a deal that was too lenient.

There's more if you bothered to read her wikipedia page. You may not like what she's done, but she's done quite a bit. She's progressive, she's principled, she's bold. And the democrats here want to throw her name into the trash because "identity politics" and lololol she's a black woman that's "identity politics".

"Republicans have to nominate a Latino to win the White House" was proven wrong.

"Democrats need to nominate a White guy to win the White House" may do the same.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2016, 01:31:20 PM »

how isn't Gabbard an identity politics candidate who takes money from Sheldon Adelson, goes on Fox News to recite Republican talking points, and stands with Donald Trump on refugee policy.

not to mention she comes from a family that has dominated Hawaii politics for years and for the worse of it, seeing as they're basically DINOs.

This should be plastered on every single progressive website. Just because she jumped off the DNC to support Sanders doesn't mean she's a progressive
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2016, 01:35:38 PM »

There's no need to be a condescending asshole. I read the Wikipedia page, which is why I mentioned it!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This means nothing.

And as the next line says, it's graduated fewer than 300 people in over 8 years. Hardly impressive.

Political posturing is not an accomplishment.

See above. Show me actual notable progress here that can be attributed to her.

Okay, that's a minor thing that many other DAs have done. It's good, but hardly "noteworthy" for a talked-up presidential contender.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2016, 01:45:51 PM »

Harris isn't trying to win the theocratic transphobe vote so it really doesn't matter if you don't like her accomplishments.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2016, 01:48:39 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2016, 01:51:30 PM by Maxwell »

Here's some more - doubling the conviction rates on gun felonies, prosecuting parents of truant children which led to slashing the truancy rate by 23%, increasing the number of dangerous criminals sent to prison by quite a bit. She was an effective D.A..

And for the record, if you looked through Barack Obama's record before becoming President, my guess is a lot of you would say the same thing ("identity politics" is the new code word for colored, I guess), and he's been a solid President.

I'm sorry if I am come off like an asshole and I take responsibility for that - my anger is largely aimed at Democrats who think all of a sudden we shouldn't have a diverse coalition all because we won more votes in the wrong places in 2016. realisticidealist isn't really the source of my anger - largely because I don't suspect he and I will be voting together often.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies