Hillary breaks 50% in Orange County, California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:15:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary breaks 50% in Orange County, California
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Hillary breaks 50% in Orange County, California  (Read 4618 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2016, 01:12:57 PM »

Hahahahaha! Suck it Republicans. Not only did you lose here, you lost BAD and Hillary won a majority. You should feel completely embarrassed losing this longtime GOP county like this.

3 million illegals voted.

You can't be serous?

To be fair, he didn't make that up. That's a "statistic" that's been circulating on the right since the election thanks to this guy.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2016, 01:21:09 PM »

Hahahahaha! Suck it Republicans. Not only did you lose here, you lost BAD and Hillary won a majority. You should feel completely embarrassed losing this longtime GOP county like this.

3 million illegals voted.

You can't be serous?

To be fair, he didn't make that up. That's a "statistic" that's been circulating on the right since the election thanks to this guy.

"True The Vote" sounds like the name I'd use if I were making up a ridiculous fake organization that did this kind of thing.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2016, 01:24:18 PM »

Holy crap this thread is bad.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2016, 02:29:19 PM »

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2016, 02:38:37 PM »

It's a week later and Democrats are still trying to scramble up beef struggling to deal with a comfortable margin of a loss.

Sure, Hillary ran up the board with Californians and New Yorkers to seal a popular vote win but she lost the majority a plurality of florida, the majority of ohio, the majority a plurality of arizona, the majority a plurality of pennsylvania, the majority a plurality of michigan, the majority of iowa, the majority of north carolina... even nearly a majority a plurality of new hampshire, and almost a majority a plurality of minnesota (sad!).

Thankfully the founding fathers designed a system smarter than you are to balance a voice for the nation as a whole, not three populous states.

FTFY
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2016, 02:40:59 PM »

It's a week later and Democrats are still trying to scramble up beef struggling to deal with a comfortable margin of a loss.

Sure, Hillary ran up the board with Californians and New Yorkers to seal a popular vote win but she lost the majority a plurality of florida, the majority of ohio, the majority a plurality of arizona, the majority a plurality of pennsylvania, the majority a plurality of michigan, the majority of iowa, the majority of north carolina... even nearly a majority a plurality of new hampshire, and almost a majority a plurality of minnesota (sad!).

Thankfully the founding fathers designed a system smarter than you are to balance a voice for the nation as a whole, not three populous states.

FTFY

She did indeed "lose" the majority of people in FL, AZ, PA, MI, NH, MN, etc. in the sense that >50% of voters there didn't vote for her. EliteLX makes a few errors by that standard though as well.
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2016, 04:09:24 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2016, 04:41:29 PM by EliteLX »

FTFY

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You can play with technicalities to avoid an argument all you want, not only is it a cherry pick of an interpretation and fix but I'm actually still correct.

She failed to win a majority of votes cast by the people of Michigan. (More wanted Trump)
She failed to win a majority of votes cast by the people of Ohio. (More wanted Trump)
She failed to win a majority of votes cast by the people of Florida. (More wanted Trump)
She failed to win a majority of votes cast by the people of Arizona. (More wanted Trump)
She failed to win a majority of votes cast by the people of Maine's 2nd CD. (More wanted Trump)
She failed to win a majority of votes cast by the people of Wisconsin. (More wanted Trump)
She failed to win a majority of votes cast by the people of Iowa. (More wanted Trump)
She failed to win a majority of votes cast by the people of North Carolina. (More wanted Trump)
She failed to win a majority of votes cast by the people of Pennsylvania. (More wanted Trump)

She failed to win over the majority of the people of state, after state, after state and because of that lost comfortably in the electoral college. The founders were smarter than a bunch of people who can't stand a loss because they're bright enough to know it's dangerous for 8 or 9 homogeneous counties worth of population to hold such drastic power. This forces the POTUS to have an agenda and campaign for the better of the union as a whole. The electoral college is.. actually brilliant.  

And finally, as TN Volunteer said, you lost; get over it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2016, 04:12:22 PM »

This would be like Barry Goldwater crowing about winning the Deep South in 1964. Congratulations - you made inroads with your opponent's base while loosing states that have supported your party for decades! Well done!
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2016, 05:45:05 PM »

It will be interesting to look at the precinct results once they are published to see where the major swings happened in OC....

Was it the result of a huge shift in Vietnamese (and other Asian-Americans) swinging hard towards the Democrats? Was it the result of a voting surge and swing among Latino-Americans? Was it the wealthy Anglos living up in the hillsides and beach condos that typically voted Republican rejecting the Trumpist brand of Republicanism?

Or was it all of the above?

Regardless, of some of the sniping going on in this thread, I am actually interested in the changing political coalitions in the sixth largest county in the US, regardless of if they happen in traditionally Republican or Democratic counties....

There are plenty of other threads to squabble about the outcome of the election in, but since this one happens to be about OC swinging hard to the Democrats....

For example, it appears that despite the Senate election only had two Democrats on the ballot, there wasn't the type of dramatic drop-off in votes between the Presidential and Senate elections that one might expect in a traditionally Republican County.

Anyways, still looking forward to seeing precinct level results from OC once this is over so that we can understand what happened in OC that caused such a dramatic shift, in essentially the only remaining large Republican population center in Cali....
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2016, 05:55:41 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2016, 06:10:18 PM by realisticidealist »

It will be interesting to look at the precinct results once they are published to see where the major swings happened in OC....

Was it the result of a huge shift in Vietnamese (and other Asian-Americans) swinging hard towards the Democrats? Was it the result of a voting surge and swing among Latino-Americans? Was it the wealthy Anglos living up in the hillsides and beach condos that typically voted Republican rejecting the Trumpist brand of Republicanism?

Regardless, of some of the sniping going on in this thread, I am actually interested in the changing political coalitions in the sixth largest county in the US, regardless of if they happen in traditionally Republican or Democratic counties....

There are plenty of other threads to squabble about the outcome of the election in, but since this one happens to be about OC swinging hard to the Democrats....

For example, it appears that despite the Senate election only had two Democrats on the ballot, there wasn't the type of dramatic drop-off in votes between the Presidential and Senate elections that one might expect in a traditionally Republican County.

Anyways, still looking forward to seeing precinct level results from OC once this is over so that we can understand what happened in OC that caused such a dramatic shift, in essentially the only remaining large Republican population center in Cali....

You can see the precinct results mapped here. It looks like Trump fell hardest in the Cypress/La Palma/Buena Park/west Anaheim area. Parts of Garden Grove and Irvine also swung hard to Clinton. I would guess therefore that it was the Asian areas that were most responsible for the swing with some increased Hispanic turnout for good measure.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2016, 06:27:31 PM »

FTFY

You can play with technicalities to avoid an argument all you want, not only is it a cherry pick of an interpretation and fix but I'm actually still correct.

She failed to win a majority of votes cast by the people of Michigan. (More wanted Trump)
She failed to win a majority of votes cast by the people of Ohio. (More wanted Trump)
She failed to win a majority of votes cast by the people of Florida. (More wanted Trump)
She failed to win a majority of votes cast by the people of Arizona. (More wanted Trump)
She failed to win a majority of votes cast by the people of Maine's 2nd CD. (More wanted Trump)
She failed to win a majority of votes cast by the people of Wisconsin. (More wanted Trump)
She failed to win a majority of votes cast by the people of Iowa. (More wanted Trump)
She failed to win a majority of votes cast by the people of North Carolina. (More wanted Trump)
She failed to win a majority of votes cast by the people of Pennsylvania. (More wanted Trump)

She failed to win over the majority of the people of state, after state, after state and because of that lost comfortably in the electoral college. The founders were smarter than a bunch of people who can't stand a loss because they're bright enough to know it's dangerous for 8 or 9 homogeneous counties worth of population to hold such drastic power. This forces the POTUS to have an agenda and campaign for the better of the union as a whole. The electoral college is.. actually brilliant.  

And finally, as TN Volunteer said, you lost; get over it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I accept that Trump won the election. Don't assume that I think otherwise and then attack that straw man. As for definitions:

Trump also failed to win majorities in a lot of those states. It's interesting how you use a definition of "majority" in the quote and then switch to your old one when interpreting the examples. I am correcting your statement that is, objectively, incorrect.

A majority is the greater part of a large group, meaning >50%. Neither of the candidates received such in a lot of those states, as I indicated above.

Also, I am not sure why you're defending the electoral college when responding to me. I have said nothing related to it in this thread as far as I know.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2016, 06:30:59 PM »

You can see the precinct results mapped here. It looks like Trump fell hardest in the Cypress/La Palma/Buena Park/west Anaheim area. Parts of Garden Grove and Irvine also swung hard to Clinton. I would guess therefore that it was the Asian areas that were most responsible for the swing with some increased Hispanic turnout for good measure.

Thanks RI for sharing---- you're one of the best on the hard data of this type. Smiley

So it looks like the myth of wealthy and retired Republican Anglos in OC swinging hard towards the Democrats did not happen, at least looking at the map and seeing the solid sea of Trump purple in the wealthy Beach communities of OC, as well as the SE hills/canyons of OC.

It will be interesting to see what the final results are once the provisional ballots are counted, since I've noticed that Clinton's % margin has actually been increasing since ED, whereas in some heavily Dem counties in NorCal it has slightly contracted as the VbMs are being processed.

Any bets on final margins from OC.... will it end up C+6 or C+7 once all of the votes are counted?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2016, 06:33:36 PM »

Long term this is a problem for Republicans. States like Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin will flip back to Democrats based on how narrowly they were decided and because Trump can't deliver on bringing manufacturing jobs back. If places like Orange County don't flip back Republican, yet Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin go Democratic in 2020, I'd say that doesn't equal a Trump re-election.

With that said, it's Trump who is really upset about losing the popular vote, because he's been tweeting about it. He's such a damn loser that he can't accept winning the Presidency, yet losing the popular vote. The Devil is never satisfied, I supposed, so I guess he's always going to find a way to put himself in a personal hell.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2016, 06:49:55 PM »

Clinton also failed to win majority in both 1992 and 1996 and yet Democrats here claim that he won in a landslide. So... try harder.

Is this to me?? What's with all the straw men? I am making the distinction between majority and plurality for BOTH candidates. That is it!
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2016, 06:55:55 PM »

Clinton also failed to win majority in both 1992 and 1996 and yet Democrats here claim that he won in a landslide. So... try harder.

Is this to me?? What's with all the straw men? I am making the distinction between majority and plurality for BOTH candidates. That is it!

You're clearly implying that it matters that Trump didn't win a majority. Your candidate, however, failed to do win a majority as well.

What I'm saying is that it matters that NEITHER won a majority. LOOK!

If anything, I'm rebutting the implication that Trump had some sort of mandate based off the majority of the voters of the states in question. My goodness. You won. Walk away with it already.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2016, 06:57:15 PM »

it doesn't matter in terms of winning, it should just make Trump recognize that he needs to convince more people than other presidents and more people doubt his qualification than usual.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2016, 06:58:52 PM »

Trump is a loser and a sexual predator, and he will be lucky to survive four years of Mike Pence, Steve Bannon, Paul Ryan, and the other social darwinists he's been forced to surround himself with.  The fraudsters known as the Republican party may be happy, and let them savor this moment: their fortunes will not last very long at all.

The fact that conservatives have to fabricate statistics in order to claim some semblance of legitimacy tells you everything!
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2016, 07:05:51 PM »

Trump is a loser and a sexual predator, and he will be lucky to survive four years of Mike Pence, Steve Bannon, Paul Ryan, and the other social darwinists he's been forced to surround himself with.  The fraudsters known as the Republican party may be happy, and let them savor this moment: their fortunes will not last very long at all.

The fact that conservatives have to fabricate statistics in order to claim some semblance of legitimacy tells you everything!

Another confident prediction of yours?

but the likely truth is that his health will only worsen as the mental stress of losing the election in the biggest landslide in 30 years only compounds his illness to the point that he may be in serious danger of requiring medical attention from a doctor who is actually alive, unlike Harold Bornstein Jr.

It remains to be seen whether Donald Trump will make it out of this campaign alive, but one thing is for certain: Hillary Clinton is running unopposed.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2016, 07:12:20 PM »

Trump is a loser and a sexual predator, and he will be lucky to survive four years of Mike Pence, Steve Bannon, Paul Ryan, and the other social darwinists he's been forced to surround himself with.  The fraudsters known as the Republican party may be happy, and let them savor this moment: their fortunes will not last very long at all.

Another confident prediction of yours?

but the likely truth is that his health will only worsen as the mental stress of losing the election in the biggest landslide in 30 years only compounds his illness to the point that he may be in serious danger of requiring medical attention from a doctor who is actually alive, unlike Harold Bornstein Jr.

It remains to be seen whether Donald Trump will make it out of this campaign alive, but one thing is for certain: Hillary Clinton is running unopposed.

Thanks for reminding all of us that we must be vigilant in monitoring the health of Donald Trump in the coming weeks and months - lest the nation end up being ruled with an iron first by Generic Republican Mike Pence!

I'm not embarrassed by my predictions, btw.  I had a lot of fun writing some of those posts, the one that you quoted included.  I'm obviously very disappointed with the result.  Enjoy your accolades.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2016, 07:14:21 PM »

Are you seriously making fun of Republicans for losing Orange Country when you lost the entire country?
FTFY

Actually Clinton won the entire country.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2016, 07:31:55 PM »

So back to OC election results instead of the total OT items on the thread....

I am surprised to see Cypress swing so heavily Democratic.....

It doesn't have an especially large Latino population by SoCal standards, although it is 31% Asian-American....

Insert Anecdotal Personal Story

When I went down to visit my Dad back in the early 2000s, I went to his Church in Cypress with him for a Sunday service at a medium-sized multi-ethnic but evangelical church, attended some of the "Christian 12 step recovery" meetings that he would run. The church was partnered with other churches in the community, so I spent Thanksgiving Day in South Central LA serving meals to the parishioners, eating an awesome meal of smoked Turkey from "Big Dave's" customized Turkey roasting mobile trailer.

It fell on a Sunday, so many of the members of the community church were wearing suits and their best dresses and hats, and being LA in late November the weather was warm and no rain. Although smoking was prohibited on the property, the Minister showed me the way to a small outdoor back patio area, with barbed wire covering the top of the adobe style fence....

I walked through a small room past the room where Sunday services were held, and there were huge piles of Christmas presents already wrapped and donated for the poorer members, of an already impoverished community.

So back to the primary topic.... even in many heavily Republican areas in OC, there are a significant number of Anglos that are deeply embedded in their local communities, and although some of my family members on that side likely voted reluctantly for Trump, at this point they are praying for America as well.

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2016, 07:48:11 PM »

Over 50% of Americans rejected Trump and he didn't even get the most votes. He only won because of an archaic 18th century system designed to protect slave states. Sad!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2016, 08:25:04 PM »

Hahahahaha!

We won the Presidency, the Vice Presidency, the U.S. Senate, the U.S. House of Representatives, and the power to appoint to the U.S. Supreme Court.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2016, 08:27:52 PM »

I thought this was trolling until I actually looked at the county results. Tongue
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2016, 08:30:34 PM »

Over 50% of Americans rejected Trump and he didn't even get the most votes. He only won because of an archaic 18th century system designed to protect slave states. Sad!

You lost.

Get over it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies