Trondheim Campaign Thread (with Statement by former SoFA)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:09:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Trondheim Campaign Thread (with Statement by former SoFA)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trondheim Campaign Thread (with Statement by former SoFA)  (Read 1789 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 17, 2008, 10:09:58 AM »
« edited: April 14, 2008, 11:36:15 AM by La Revolucióncita »

1.) I hereby congratulate my successor, Mr. Moderate, to his new position. Here are the keys to the Fritz Building for Forum Affairs:

You cannot have access to the Ernest Charmed Compound (formerly the Ernest Annexe) because it is, well, charmed. However, thanks to certain costcutting measures (ie the voter rolls were kept by unpaid House Elves) you'll find that sufficient funds are available to rehouse the voter rolls in a building of your choice.

2.) I deeply resent being referred to by the revered President, Mr. Inammorato, as a "bitter baby", preferring instead the term "drama queen". I could have left office quietly - I seriously contemplated it - but couldn't see why I should. From the start, I was resolved to make some sort of explanatory statement at the inevitable end of the affair. Alternatively, you might say I was just trying to help him bring back the Glory Days. Although back in the Glory Days, someone would have claimed to take up arms against the government over the matter.
Due to time, space, and energy constraints, I can't comment on every outrageous or at least dubious statement made during the affair - including a few by my supporters, whom I thank - but I'll just state or restate three points:
Secretary of Forum Affairs is not a political position. I certainly didn't execute it as such, and nor did any capable predecessor of mine. Nor did I, in either of my two terms as SoFA, ever "work with" the President. And should I see that changing in the future, expect me back on the barricades right away. However (despite his scandalous position on by-elections) I trust that my successor will not be very amenable to any such attempts, even if (and I by no means consider it likely that that is the case, though given some of the things that have been said it would be rash to rule it out) the President has any such intentions.
The replacement against his will of a SoFA not grossly negligent in his duties is not a routine political action in Atlasia, and it is hoped that it will not become one in the future. For this reason, I will not seek to replace Mr Moderate (unless, of course, he turns out negligent, which I do not assume) when a new administration comes in.
The President seems to believe that he attempted to replace me in a "dignified" matter before being forced to turn into a raving maniac when egged on (as he was. Oh yes. No dispute there.) His standards of personal dignity seem to be considerably lower than mine. I do not consider it "dignified" to learn of my dismissal through public post (let alone from the press. But that doesn't seem to have been his fault.)
However, I declare myself satisfied by the public's reaction, and bear no grudge against anyone over this affair. (I bear some grudges against certain people over other matters further back, but that's a different story.)

3.) The question of Cabinet Members' terms in office seems to be currently not legally determined, and there appears to be some confusion over the matter. I was never expressly removed from office by President Inammorato - as was his prerogative - and nobody challenged my continued exercise of the office after President Wixted's term ended (we would have had a problem holding the by-election otherwise), yet Senators were nonetheless of the opinion that they were confirming Mr Moderate to a vacant position, and therefore called upon to judge him only by his own undeniable merits. (In theory, if the Secretary served until sacked or replaced, they could have just voted down any nominee and dared the President to sack me.) Indeed, eight months ago it was considered necessary to hold a new confirmation hearing when Secretary Gabu continued in office under a new President.
This slightly unlogical practice follows US precedent, of course, but I think some sort of clarifying law is in order.

4.) I will be a candidate for the Senate in April.
This thread shall serve as my campaign thread in the future, and will be renamed in a couple of days' time.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 10:13:34 AM »

I think that you did an excellent job, and wish you the best of luck in the near future!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 01:38:58 PM »

And while Lewis insists that he's finished with the whole thing, he insists on throwing a few final jabs and continuing to misspell my last name.  Wink

Anyway, let me state again that your appointment was not for life, Lewis. This is a very simple concept to grasp: I wanted to let someone else - someone who is also extremely qualified - have a chance at this office.

I apologize for one thing and one thing only - Not making you aware of this beforehand in a private manner. I was tied up with a lot of other issues - personal and Cabinet related - at the time. My apologies. However, I don't like being called a "raving lunatic" because I stuck by my position to promote someone new. Nor do I appreciate the sarcasm when speaking about me being "egged on."

Oh, and I also don't think my decision to not let you know privately is proof of lower personal dignity. I apologize for what I did but your decision to make this so bitter with such negative, personal remarks makes it a lot harder.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 01:57:19 PM »

Mr. Secretary,

Thank you for your service, and I agree, a statute on the situation may be useful.  Otherwise in an ambiguous situation like this...the court could be forced to rely upon the US notion of serving at the president's pleasure.  And I'm not quite sure we're (or should be) following the US in all areas.

Thank You,
Bullmoose88
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 02:48:15 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2008, 02:53:09 PM by rabbit dancing in the middle of a firefight »

And while Lewis insists that he's finished with the whole thing, he insists on throwing a few final jabs and continuing to misspell my last name.  Wink
Damn. Sorry.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Part of the wording there is somewhat tongue in cheek. As you might have noticed. Tongue These do not however include the remark in brackets behind "egged on".
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 06:20:36 PM »

Thank you for your assistance in making this a smooth transition.  The task of building a new wing on to the Fritz Building has been tasked to contestants from a new celebrity dating/contest show currently taping for broadcast on VH1, and will be open shortly.

Best of luck in your efforts to return to the Senate.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 06:33:57 PM »

Thank you for your assistance in making this a smooth transition.  The task of building a new wing on to the Fritz Building has been tasked to contestants from a new celebrity dating/contest show currently taping for broadcast on VH1, and will be open shortly.

Given the current administration, I expect it will be a right wing. Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 04:02:15 PM »

Ask me questions about my Senate run here!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 05:13:34 PM »

This for the PR election, right (question mark. that key isn't working for some reason and I can't be bothered to go copy past one right now)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 05:18:37 PM »

This for the PR election, right (question mark. that key isn't working for some reason and I can't be bothered to go copy past one right now)
The esteemed former Secretary is correct.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 11:36:59 AM »

A bill to provide for by-elections to all PR vacancies has been introduced.

Ask questions of the Senator here.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies