Atlasian Messenger
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:17:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian Messenger
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13
Author Topic: Atlasian Messenger  (Read 33942 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2005, 02:35:42 AM »

Two Candidates for Southeast Lt. Governor

ATLANTA—Today saw the announcements of Southeast Lottery Commissioner Q and current Lieutenant Governor BrandonH that they would run for the Lt. Gov. position this August, following the 9-1-1 passing of an initiative that made the position an elected spot, as opposed to being appointed by the Governor.  Governor Dubya is likely to support BrandonH for the spot, while Senator Cosmo Kramer's vote is unknown.  Since both of the Gubernatorial candidates are away this week, no de facto tickets have been formed as of yet.  Endorsements from Union Party chairman and Senator Sam Spade, as well as Secretary of Defense Ebowed, greeted Q's announcement, while Lt. Governor BrandonH is expected to recieve the endorsement of the Atlasian Conservative Alliance if they hold a convention for next month's elections.

Meanwhile, as the Governors have approved a redistricting plan that groups Virginia with the rest of the South, Senator MHS2002 of the Union party faces three, and possibly four, candidates: Bono (an Independent minded conservative libertarian from South Carolina), Ben Meyers (from the Atlasian Conservative Alliance in Florida), and Ernest (a South Carolinian who moved to Hawaii for the Presidential elections, and has now moved back to South Carolina to run for Senate as an Independent Liberal).  In the absense of any economically liberal candidates in the race, Harry has formed an exploratory committee and is likely to run also.  If he does enter the race, this may become the most interesting Senate race in the August elections, with a 5-candidate showdown that would divide libertarians, liberals, conservatives, and moderates into different voting blocs.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2005, 07:07:57 AM »

As an off-hand note, I think the interviews and information Defarge is putting up are of excellent quality (especially the one with Emsworth) and I look forward to reading more of them in the future.
You mean people actually read that ?!
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2005, 07:12:44 AM »

As an off-hand note, I think the interviews and information Defarge is putting up are of excellent quality (especially the one with Emsworth) and I look forward to reading more of them in the future.

I guess so because I read it as well! Cheesy
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #103 on: July 18, 2005, 09:31:35 AM »

I guess so because I read it as well! Cheesy
That brings my readership to two!
*cries in happiness* Smiley
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #104 on: July 18, 2005, 01:14:57 PM »

For once, you are right.

Now it can't be totally true that the True South is against the SAP, as I am a member of both Cheesy
Perhaps not all of the members of the True South are against the SAP, but that was definitely one of the intents of the coalition.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2005, 02:20:44 PM »

Northeast race to be fair and square[/u]

Kevin and Senator Colin Wixted have both agreed to a clean campaign. This is only two candidates, however, and since we are really far from the election, im sure more will declare. Despite it being so early, a poll has been taken showing that the race is close and that the votes for "other" are rather high, proving that there is room for at least one more.  We will have interviews with both candidates (and hopefully with anyone else that declares) later in the election cycle. This one is obviously way too early to call, but its definetly not going to be a landslide. However it turns out, at least there will be no mud slinging from the candidates.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2005, 03:51:24 PM »

Ford on the Trail

SAN FRANCISCO-- Pacific Gubernatorial candidate John Ford (F-CA) has already begun to campaign, with three extensive speeches on topics ranging from redistricting, constitutional conventions, and why we should unify our budget.

Ford made it clear that he supports a Pacific unified economically, politically, and legally, and that he opposes the hodgepodge of states that has existed. He also called for the people to be involved, citing them as the best defense against a tyrannical legislature.

On redistricting, Ford supports changing the districts as little as possible, to give Senators more time to develop a working relationship with his constituents. He also said districts should have a true geographic entity.

He urged for unification of the budget because not doing so is dangerous, with no relation between collecting taxes and setting budget priorities. He hopes to lay out a full vision on this matter shortly. It is clear he already has a campaigning edge in this election.

Look here for full text of the speeches
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2005, 05:15:06 PM »

Harry in the Race[/u]

JACKSON-- Former Vice-President, Senator, and Governor Harry (SAP-MS) is trying once again for office, this time the Senate. He first signalled he might be interested a few days ago, and confirmed that this morning, with a simple statement, saying "Harry has now confirmed that he is indeed going to be a  candidate for the District 4 senate seat in August."

He will be the most liberal candidate in a five-man field, that includes Sen. MHS2002 (U-VA), Justice Ernest (ILP-SC) Fmr. Sen. Bono (I-SC), and Ben Meyers (ACA-FL). The district is not numbered yet, but includes the states Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2005, 06:47:38 PM »

I am stepping down from my reporting duties in the Atlasian Messenger. However, i will continue to own the paper, and do Letters to the editor Wednesday.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2005, 06:52:34 PM »

CheezeWhiz running for re-election

BELLE FOURCHE-- Midwest Governor CheezeWhiz (L-MT)announced yesterday that he would seek re-election as Governor instead of a Senate seat. He cited as reasons the fact that he is more interested in local government than federal government, and that his running for Governor would make sense at this time when considering what positions various people, such as PBrunsel, Ilikeverin, and DanielX are running for.

He summed it up by saying "I’m just not as enthusiastic about the Federal Government as I am for the Midwest, our tiny region with so many little problems Wink" It is not clear whether he will be opposed or not, but there aren't too many possible challengers, especially with Ilikeverin now Secretary of Forum Affairs.

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #110 on: July 18, 2005, 07:55:14 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2005, 07:58:33 PM by Senator A.J.* King IV »

Hello and welcome to the first edition of the Northeast Report with A.J. King!  As the newest addition to Atlasia's fastest growing newspaper, I pledge to you fair and unbias coverage that is, of course, accurate most of the time.  Let's begin...

Redistricting Complete: Northeast's First District Wide Open!
NYMAN, D.C.-- The maps are drawn and the numbers are picked.  At 6:57 p.m. Northeast time, redistricting was officially declared over with the Northeast gaining nor losing a district in the process. 

The big news comes from the new 1st District which covers the Pennslyvanian area of the Northeast as the 1st loses the Commonwealth of Virginia and incumbent Senator MHS2002.  Such change now leaves us with the first open Senate seat to represent a portion of the Northeastern Region since Senator Defarge announced his retirement in January of this year.

Floodgates of names on who will declare for the open Southern Northeast-Eastern Mideast shared district have now opened and include Northeasterners such as former Vice President Keystone Phil, Atlasian Messenger CEO LiberalPA, and vaguely-known Kevin Brown--all of which have run unsuccessfully for Senate before.  Other possibilities include Mideast Governor Joe Republic, Attorney General Al Realpolitick, and even former Senator Akno21.

It is uncertain on whether or not any of those mentioned are remotely interested in running, but they would all make for a close race.

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2005, 08:06:59 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2005, 08:39:05 AM by Secretary of Defense Porce »

Editorial: Libertarian Party On Its Last Days?

HELENA--The Libertarian Party of Atlasia is down to only three active members.  The party leader, CheeseWhiz, who is also Governor of the Midwest and will be running for re-election next month, has pleaded for new members and is exploring the possibility of leaving the party for other options such as the Constitutional Union Party or Independent Liberal Party.  Georgia Resident John Dibble, who ran for Vice President on a ticket with Senator King in June, has been a member of the Libertarian Party for a long time and suggests that rather than killing the party, all that is needed is reform.  He says, "give it a new name and a facelift.  I think big-tent libertarianism might be the way to go rather than the somewhat restrictive philosophy we have now."

Despite this public exploration of abandonment options, Governor CheeseWhiz is still asking its member where the party's next convention should be held.  And despite the party's ups and downs over the last year, the party should be able to stick it out.  Centrist parties have come and gone; why should libertarians abandon their true party for them?

NOTE: The views expressed in this editorial are soley those of the author and are not necessarily representative of The Atlasian Messenger management or other staff.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2005, 08:48:18 AM »

The Atlasian Messenger: Notice of Upcoming Feature
[/b]

We expect to have interviews with Lt. Governor candidates Goldwater and Mr. Hobbes within the next week, followed by interviews with Lieutenant Governor BrandonH and Southeast Lottery Commissioner Q, who are both running for Southeast Lt. Governor.  Please remember that these interviews may not be posted in that order and that all of this is tentative.  Stay tuned.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2005, 09:40:00 AM »

Dear Atlasian Messenger,
I feel it is necessary for me to comment on the opinion piece on the Libertarian Party. As a high ranking member of the Constitutional Union Party of Atlasia I can tell you personally that if Atlasians who are currently in the Libertarian Party are look for big-tent libertarianism it's home is the Constitutional Union Party. While we are still a centrist party no one would doubt our credentials as a libertarian party that promotes economic and social freedom.

While most Libertarians, like Democrats and Republicans before them, do not want to see Atlasia as a new and different nation with vastly different politics they must come to face the facts and the facts are that the Union Party has become the standard bearer of libertarianism in Atlasia. While I believe that Mr. Bell's assertion that the ILP is taking the middle away from the Union Party is not completely true many of the other assertions he makes in his analysis of the Libertarian Party's demise are valid.

Libertarians need to learn to see that Atlasia is not America. We have a court made up largely of libertarians, we have a Senate that is composed of many libertarians, or regions elect libertarian governors and most of all we are a nation whose centre is in the moderate libertarian range. It is for these reasons that I would welcome any libertarians into the Union Party and the reason why I think the Libertarian Party needs to face the facts and make a tough choice about whether it should continue to be a party.
Sincerely,
Colin Wixted
Northeast Senator
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2005, 01:08:38 PM »

I second Colin's statements on this matter.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2005, 01:53:03 PM »

Colin - I think the two other members and I know we might not be able to survive in Atlasian politics.  We know Atlasia is not America, but we will try to keep our party alive;  as National Chairman, it's part of my duty to try to keep my party alive, but if I can't do it I will give the Libertarians up for another party.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2005, 05:30:37 PM »

Ford, Goldwater, Lead In Poll

SAN FRANCISCO-- In an Atlasian Messenger poll conducted from July 15-18, Moderator John Ford (F-CA) has a convincing edge in the Governor's race, while Goldwater (U-OR) is leading in the Lt. Governor's race.

Governor

GM John Ford 58%
Lt. Gov. Immy 32%
Undecided 10%

Lt. Governor

Goldwater 42%
Fmr. Pres. True Independent 27%
Mr. Hobbes 11%
Undecided 20%

It should be noted that while the two offices are up for election separately, Ford and True Independent are running together, as are Immy and Goldwater. 19 people were polled.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2005, 07:27:17 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2005, 08:43:03 PM by Defarge »

I hereby resign as a member of the staff of the Atlasian Messenger.  Given that it is my job to cover the workings of the Atlasian government fairly and objectively, I cannot do that while biasing my self by running at the same time.

I wish Akno, King, Ebowed, and all who end up on the Messenger's staff the best of luck.  Gentlemen, your articles are great, and while I won't have the honor of writing besides you, I look forward to reading more of them from the campaign trail.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2005, 07:46:48 PM »

I hereby resign as a member of the staff of the Atlasian Messenger.  Given that it is my job to cover the workings of the Atlasian government fairly and objectively, I cannot do that while biasing my self by running at the same time.

I wish Akno, King, Ebowed, and all who end up on the Messenger's staff.  Gentlemen, your articles are great, and while I won't have the honor of writing besides you, I look forward to reading more of them from the campaign trail.

It was great while you were here, Defarge, your work was the best.

I guess some one will have to pick up the slack. I'm an elections guy, I don't think I could replace Defarge, is there anyone out there looking for a writing job that cares about Fantasy Government?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2005, 02:41:44 AM »

An Interview With Hobbes[/u]

SACREMENTO-- What follows is an interview between Atlasian Messenger writer Ebowed and Lieutenant Gubernatorial candidate Mr. Hobbes, an Independent from California.  We have also sent questions to Goldwater, a member of the Constitutional Union Party from Oregon, who was the first announced candidate in next month's Pacific Lieutenant Gubernatorial race.  We anticipate to have that interview posted soon.  We also invited True Independent, of the Constitutional Union Party, to be interviewed to the newspaper, but he never responded, and some days later he announced he was taking a short vacation, so we will assume this was the reason he did not reply to us and leave it at that.

Ebowed: Thanks for taking your time to grace this newspaper with an interview, Mr. Hobbes.  We'll keep this interview relatively brief for the sake of our readers.  My first question for you tonight is, what prompted you to begin an Independent campaign for Lieutenant Governor of the Pacific?

Hobbes: It's my pleasure, Ebowed.  As to your first question, I believe that the Pacific Region needs a social conservative voice in this election. We've got True Independent and Goldwater, both of whom are social liberals or affiliated with social liberalism, and I believe that the wing of Atlasia that supports a pro-family, pro-God, pro-America stand needs to be taken into serious consideration.

Furthermore, I'm running as an Independent and not as a candidate of the Freedom or Alliance parties because I don't want to be anybody's man, I want to stand alone without special interest involvement.

Ebowed: What do you believe seperates you from your opponents, Goldwater and True Independent, and why do you believe that you are the best choice for the Pacific?

Hobbes: Well, like I said, we need a strong voice for the social conservatives.  Perhaps some think that social conservatism has fallen by the wayside out West, but I firmly believe that a values candidate can win this race...and I will.

Ebowed: Of the two Gubernatorial candidates, Game Moderator John Ford and Lieutenant Governor Immy, who do you intend to support, and why?

Hobbes: Neither.  Like I said, I'm an independent through and through and I'm not going to take sides in the governor's race.  I'm here to preach my agenda for the lieutenant governor's race, not meddle elsewhere.

Ebowed: Could you please give our readers a short summary of your views on economic, social, and foreign policy issues?

Hobbes: Well, generally speaking, I'm a social conservative.  I oppose gay marriage, abortion, support school vouchers, support the Ten Commandments in public building, and so forth.   Economically, I support a value added tax as the sole method of collecting taxes.  I firmly oppose the idea of the income tax and will do what I can to abolish state income taxes in the Pacific Region.  I also support government subsidies for health care.

On foreign policy, I'm a Wilsonist.  I support getting the world's democracies together in a close-knit alliance for the purpose of protecting liberty, human rights, and defeating terrorism.

Ebowed: If you win the election next month, what do you plan to do as Lieutenant Governor?

Hobbes: As lieutenant governor, I plan to be a voice for my social conservative agenda and serve with dignity as Speaker of the Pacific House of Representatives.

Ebowed: Thank you for your time, Mr. Hobbes, and good luck next month.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2005, 07:31:56 AM »

THE ATLASIAN MESSENGER NEWS FLASH

Former Vice President May Run For Senate

PHILADELPHIA-- Former Vice President Keystone Phil, a member of the Atlasian Conservative Alliance, announced the formation of an exploratory committee in regards to a possible Senate run this August.  The only declared candidate in the race so far is LiberalPA, an Independent Liberal, who unsuccessfully ran for Senate against MHS2002 in a Special election several weeks ago.  We expect to have full details when and if Keystone Phil announces that he will be running for the Senate seat.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2005, 08:16:14 PM »

PBrunsel Speaks on His Record

BETTENDORF, Iowa-- Sen. PBrunsel (ACA-IA) began his re-election campaign yesterday, and made it clear what he would focus on.

"This message of hope for the future will be personified in my only campaign promise, to continue what I am currently doing."

He went on to tout his record as a Senator, voting for cabinet members of all different political persuasions, voted with environmental causes, and to allow seniors to import drgus from Canada. He said he had strong faith the people will vote on his record, saying that is all you can judge an elected offical on. He said he hoped the winner would emerge as a leader in a united district, and a united Atlasia.

Full Text Here
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2005, 11:05:16 PM »

MESSENGER POLL:  President Siege Boasts 79% Approval Rating in New District 2;  Gov. Republic Strongest Against LiberalPA

A new poll privately conducted by the Atlasian Messenger through SMF Messaging on the residents of the newly drawn 2nd District show strong support for the newly elected President Siege 40 and mixed numbers for their only Senate candidate at this point:  LiberalPA.

Among residents of District 2, 79% say they approve of the job President Siege has done since taking office and of that approval 25% say they strongly approve of Siege.  Overall, outstanding numbers for the President as not a single person polled a voice of disapproval of him.

In the District 2 Senate race, we matched up LiberalPA with five different challengers who may or may not run for Senate.  The results were:

v. Governor Joe Republic
Joe Republic   51.9%
LiberalPA   17.7%
Undecided   30.4%

v. Attorney General Al Realpolitick
Al   36.7%
NOTA   20.9%
LiberalPA   17.7%
Other   6.3%
Undecided   18.4%

v. Former Vice President Keystone Phil
LiberalPA   60.8%
Keystone Phil   24.1%
Other   6.3%
NOTA   8.9%

v. Former Northeast Lt. Governor J. J.
LiberalPA   66.5%
J. J.    27.2%
Other   6.3%

v. Former Senator Akno21
LiberalPA   54.4%
NOTA   27.2%
Other   6.3%
Akno21   0.0%
Undecided   12.0%

The Atlasian Messenger Poll for District 2 was conducted from July 19-21 and is scientifically weighed based on previous turnout.  Margin of Error is set at 14.3%.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2005, 12:37:55 AM »

if he focuses his campaign, NOTA could win in a LiberalPA v. Al race. Cheesy
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2005, 01:14:52 AM »

Southeast Libertarians Come Out Against Voting Rights

MEMPHIS-- A Constitutional amendment, which passed 7-0 in the Senate, that would remove a rule requiring someone to show their registered location in either their avatar or signature before validating their vote, seems to be going down in the Southeast with just seven votes in.  Only two Southeast citizens have voted in favor of the amendment so far; they are soon-to-be Governor StatesRights and the Secretary of Defense Ebowed.  Liberal and left leaning citizens in the Southeast are also expected to vote in favor of the amendment, which could make the end result closer.  Current Governor Dubya, who is running for re-election next month, has voted against it as has former Governor HTMLDon and Southeast Magistrate John Dibble, who is an outspoken libertarian.  The current result is 4 "Nay" votes, 2 "Yea" votes, and 1 abstention.  We will provide more details as the votes come in.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies