Atlasian Messenger
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:46:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian Messenger
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Author Topic: Atlasian Messenger  (Read 33705 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2005, 03:02:38 PM »

If the NRA has really been unsuccessful or uninterested in getting-out-the-vote, pushing candidates and spinning the news, then how does this explain the simple fact that 8 out of the 10 Senators, the VP in Atlasia, and three out of five members of the President's cabinet are members of the NRA; that the NRA has been extremely successful in passing concealed carry laws in every Region and getting passed a essential amendment to the Constitution in protection of our gun rights; and that every NRA-endorsed candidate has won elected office in Atlasia.
i dont believe that they are winning the elections because of the NRA. you are very picky, Spade.

It's my job. 

The NRA certainly has helped candidates win in the past and present behind-the-scenes.  Just because the media hasn't noticed it does not mean that it does not exist.

Also, I'm giving an example of how the NRA spins the news for itself by spinning your news right now.  Wink
your spinning is quite obvious, Spade. the NRA helps its candidates as much as any other SIG does. i dont believe SIG's often decide elections, because that isnt true...yet. Once the ACLC gets going, im sure it wont be like other SIGs. its going to go out and really work for its candidates. my article simply states that SIG's could do more to affect the outcome of elections. certainly you agree.

i can spin news too spade
As I said in the poll.  The NRA could kill a candidate that opposes it in a stronghold like the south.  It does hold a lot of influence.
in the south. outside of the south, it has as much power as anything else

Outside the South it could be a killer as well. If you are a candidate, especially a centre-left candidate, you could lose the support of several pro-gun parties like the ACA, the Union Party or the Freedom Party by openly going against the NRA platform or by making gun control a major part of your platform. Most special interest groups and PACs in Atlasia work behind the scenes talking with Senators, Governors and Cabinet officials to help get their agenda's passed. During the last election I was really worried about the Progressive Caucus endorsement. An endorsement for NOTA or a leftist candidate, like yourself LiberalPA, would have probably made me more worried about my race and probably would have lessened my winning margin. On the opposite side of things if you are a candidate like Cosmo Kramer who is rather economically liberal in a solid rightwing area an endorsement by a pseudo-rightwing association like the NRA of Atlasia would make it much easier to get undecided support and make it much easier to win.

That being said there really isn't any news to spin and even if their was I wouldn't want to spin it. If you consider the Teamspeak PAC to be a special interest group their is some evidence that members of it have swayed elections in the favour of their candidates. I believe one of the two reasons Chief of Staff Mike Naso won in February was because many people who are considered the elite of Atlasia come out in support of Mike Naso, even if only in jest. This could have caused some more inactive voters to percieve that Naso was the better candidate.

Also with your rhetoric that the ACLC will get out there and support candidates that will probably be complete bull come August. No matter what I said before personality politics, the candidates ideology, and the activity level of the candidate will always be more important factors than the endorsements of caucuses, PACs, and special interest groups. That is why it is actually more of a boon for a political group to endorse candidates in Atlasia since, except for the two big organizations, their really isn't much sway in their endorsements. It is much easier for these groups to use back channel means and legislative means to get their way than through the election of their choosen candidates. LiberalPA I have to say that you are still a newbie in the entire scheme of Atlasia politics and as such you have alot to learn, such as July is way to early to begin talking about the October election and is way to early to support a candidate. 
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2005, 03:11:44 PM »

If the NRA has really been unsuccessful or uninterested in getting-out-the-vote, pushing candidates and spinning the news, then how does this explain the simple fact that 8 out of the 10 Senators, the VP in Atlasia, and three out of five members of the President's cabinet are members of the NRA; that the NRA has been extremely successful in passing concealed carry laws in every Region and getting passed a essential amendment to the Constitution in protection of our gun rights; and that every NRA-endorsed candidate has won elected office in Atlasia.
i dont believe that they are winning the elections because of the NRA. you are very picky, Spade.

It's my job. 

The NRA certainly has helped candidates win in the past and present behind-the-scenes.  Just because the media hasn't noticed it does not mean that it does not exist.

Also, I'm giving an example of how the NRA spins the news for itself by spinning your news right now.  Wink
your spinning is quite obvious, Spade. the NRA helps its candidates as much as any other SIG does. i dont believe SIG's often decide elections, because that isnt true...yet. Once the ACLC gets going, im sure it wont be like other SIGs. its going to go out and really work for its candidates. my article simply states that SIG's could do more to affect the outcome of elections. certainly you agree.

i can spin news too spade
As I said in the poll.  The NRA could kill a candidate that opposes it in a stronghold like the south.  It does hold a lot of influence.
in the south. outside of the south, it has as much power as anything else

Outside the South it could be a killer as well. If you are a candidate, especially a centre-left candidate, you could lose the support of several pro-gun parties like the ACA, the Union Party or the Freedom Party by openly going against the NRA platform or by making gun control a major part of your platform.
thats assuming the person revolves thier cmpaign around anti-NRA views, but that would happen if you went completely anti on any SIG. but anyone who would do that is stupid.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2005, 03:14:24 PM »

Letter to the editor Wednesday[/b][/u]
Starting next Wednesday, i will make a weekly display of some of the letters to the editor.

Note: for this to work, i need letters to the editor, so i encourage people to send them.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2005, 03:15:27 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2005, 08:25:24 PM by LiberalPA »

If ya'll keep actively doing stories and such, this is going to be a great news orginization.
Cheesy assuming Sam Spade and ColinW STOP SPINNING AND CORRECTING MY FREAKIN NEWS RESPECTIVELY! Cheesy
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2005, 03:21:05 PM »

If ya'll keep actively doing stories and such, this is going to be a great news orginization.
assuming ColinW and Sam Spade STOP SPINNING AND COMPLAINING ABOUT MY FREAKIN NEWS! Smiley

I'm not spinning anything. I never spin. I point it out when people are wrong that's all.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2005, 03:23:34 PM »

I'm not spinning anything. I never spin. I point it out when people are wrong that's all.

Don’t you have your own newspaper to run? Wink
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2005, 03:31:10 PM »

assuming ColinW and Sam Spade STOP SPINNING AND COMPLAINING ABOUT MY FREAKIN NEWS! Smiley

I may be spinning, but I'm not complaining.  Keep up the good work.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2005, 03:33:23 PM »

I do? I thought I had to be a Senator. Maybe I'm mistaken. Tongue
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2005, 03:36:01 PM »

I may be spinning, but I'm not complaining.  Keep up the good work.
let me fix that then.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2005, 03:37:10 PM »

No really, don’t you own the National Atlasian?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2005, 03:37:46 PM »

Seriously, yes I do.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2005, 03:39:12 PM »

Seriously, yes I do.

Okay, you just had me doubting myself there for a minute.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2005, 03:39:58 PM »

I'm just kinda in' around with you LiberalPA. One old newspaper man to a newbie in the industry. What I would suggest though is that you write articles in Word or some other sort of word processor. This helps with grammer and spelling problems and makes your articles seem more professional. You can also lay out the way that you want the headline and the subtitle to look before you post it. Just my two cents. Good luck man wish you the best with this paper.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2005, 03:41:51 PM »

Thanks Colin!
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2005, 03:49:45 PM »

Animosity in the Mideast?[/u]

COLLEGE PARK-- Atlasia has seen both good and bad relations between Governors and their Lieutenants, and it appears that the current Mideast Leadership may be heading down the road of bad relation. It stems from Lt. Governor Dean repeatedly referring to his superior, Governor Joe Republic, as “Jew Republic” when he wanted Republic to look at a post. However, the Governor has not taken well to this, and recently told the Lt. Governor, “Stop calling me 'Jew Republic', or I might decide to neglect you in other executive decisions as well.” While there may not be true animosity between them at this point, any threat to take the Lt. Governor out of the decision making process indicates something is up. Hopefully the situation will be resolved, and the Mideast will be spared their two most powerful leaders being on different pages.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2005, 03:51:04 PM »

Here's an argument for democratic election of lt. governors.  If the Governors themselves can't pick someone they like might as well go ahead and let the people do it.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2005, 03:51:51 PM »

Here's an argument for democratic election of lt. governors.  If the Governors themselves can't pick someone they like might as well go ahead and let the people do it.

Dean was elected, not selected.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2005, 04:05:09 PM »

I'm just kinda in' around with you LiberalPA. One old newspaper man to a newbie in the industry. What I would suggest though is that you write articles in Word or some other sort of word processor. This helps with grammer and spelling problems and makes your articles seem more professional. You can also lay out the way that you want the headline and the subtitle to look before you post it. Just my two cents. Good luck man wish you the best with this paper.
thanks for the advice, colin. Smiley i hope to be as much of an influence on Atlasian politics as you some day.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2005, 04:07:48 PM »

thanks for the advice, colin. Smiley i hope to be as much of an influence on Atlasian politics as you some day.

Ah don't tell yourself that. You'll end up forever a backbencher and crazy ranting idiot. Smiley

Seriously, thank you LiberalPA, I'm sure you'll do well in any future endeavours.
Lt. Gov. Immy
Immy

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2005, 06:03:20 PM »

Speaking of the National Atlasian, when is the next issue coming out?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2005, 06:11:56 PM »

Speaking of the National Atlasian, when is the next issue coming out?

I have no idea. It takes alot of work to write those articles. I may start getting back into it in August.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2005, 11:09:30 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2005, 11:34:11 PM by Defarge »

Welcome to my biweekly column, The Hill, in the Atlasian Messenger concerning the business of Atlasia’s government, from the halls of the Senate to the Oval Office.  This is government folks, if it wasn’t boring more people would participate Smiley.

The Senate
The 8th Atlasian Senate spent their first two weeks settling in after Senators took their oaths of office. 

Individual Senator Activity
In two weeks I will begin analyzing individual senators, their level of participation in debate, and their turnout in Senate votes.  I won’t be handing out grades, but if a senator merely votes in every bill and adds nothing to debate, I will state it.  Not that there's that much negative stuff, this Senate has been great in keeping intelligent debate going, and making everything go smoothly, thanks in large part to Senator Gabu and Vice-President Emsworth.  Of votes that have closed, every Senator has voted 100% of the time except Senators FuturePrez and DanielX.  Senator FuturePrez has been on vacation since being sworn in, and has thus voted 0 times.  Senator DanielX missed 2 early budget votes, but has contributed to the debate on that issue.

Summary of Senate Activity
The Senate unanimously confirmed President Siege’s nominees for his cabinet.  The cabinet now stands thus:

Secretary of State - WMS (F-NM)
Secretary of Forum Affairs - VACANT
Attorney General – AL (FL-WV)
Secretary of Defense – Ebowed (FL-SC)
Secretary of the Treasury – Supersoulty (F-PA).

The Senate has now begun to debate the budget.  By Constitutional Mandate, the Senate cannot proceed to any other matters until the budget is completed.

Confirmations
First on the agenda were confirmation hearings for President Siege’s nominees.  All four nominees won unanimous support after questioning by Senators.  After the resignation of True Democrat, President Siege has yet to nominate a Secretary of Forum Affairs.

Secretary of Defense Ebowed was confirmed having been questioned by Senator Colin Wixted.  During his hearings, Secretary Ebowed established his support of a “smarter” military “more tactile in its actions.” 

Attorney General Al was confirmed after questioning by Senators MHS2002 and Pbrunsel.  Attorney General Al established his belief in an independent, non-partisan Justice Department that would not show bias towards and organization, even unions Smiley.

Secretary of the Treasury Supersoulty was confirmed after exhaustive questioning by Senators King, Colin Wixted, Cosmo Kramer, and MasterJedi.  Secretary Supersoulty stated that in order to make Atlasia economically healthy, he would assume the position of Federal Reserve Chairman, and would proceed to lower interest rates, increase money supplies, and take other measures to strengthen the economy.  He also established his support of the graduated income tax and the alternative minimum tax.

Secretary of State WMS was confirmed after in depth questioning by Senators Cosmo Kramer, Pbrunsel, Colin Wixted, and Gabu.  WMS proceeded to state that he would take a “middle course between Siege's idealism and the pragmatism of previous Secretaries of State.”  WMS then listed his position on foreign policy with numerous countries, highlighting where he differed with President Siege’s position.   

The Budget
After exhaustive work by the entire Senate, and especially Vice-President Emsworth, the Senate has begun to vote on a budget, as constitutionally mandated.  With the nation in economic turmoil, numerous programs have had to be cut.  Debate on the budget is ongoing.  The Constitution mandates that the budget must be completed prior to proceeding "to any other matter."

In an attempt to get an interview with a Senator, I camped out on the Capitol steps and tried to get attention.

The Hill, the The Hill logo, and any other The Hill related items are registered trademarks and/or copyrights of The Hill, or their respective trademark and copyright holders.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2005, 02:42:46 PM »

As a general point, in order to keep a lasting archive of what happens on the forum, I think it would be a good idea for this paper (and any other active ones) to archive their articles on the Wiki. An example of this already done is the National Atlasian which Colin and I archived some time ago.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2005, 02:44:15 PM »

As a general point, in order to keep a lasting archive of what happens on the forum, I think it would be a good idea for this paper (and any other active ones) to archive their articles on the Wiki. An example of this already done is the National Atlasian which Colin and I archived some time ago.
good idea. ill start working on it now.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2005, 06:54:12 PM »

Excellent article Defarge.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to: