The Official Trump 1.0 Approval Ratings Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:33:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Official Trump 1.0 Approval Ratings Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 75
Author Topic: The Official Trump 1.0 Approval Ratings Thread  (Read 180604 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: February 14, 2017, 08:37:17 PM »

Iowa - DMR/Selzer (2/6-2/9):

Approve 42%
Disapprove 49%

Not too good... I'm wondering what his ratings are in Wisconsin.

wow...Seltzer is the best pollster too

Had Trump winning Iowa in a blowout. Hard to call them "D-leaning"
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #626 on: February 14, 2017, 09:13:32 PM »

Obama wasn't Eisenhower. Bill Clinton was that in the 1990s. He even called himself an Eisenhower Republican. The Obama Administration reminds me of a Nixon White House minus the impeachment in terms of political coalitions and moments of time.

Still fellating Bill Clinton, I see...

Um what?

I didn't vote for his wife, and I would've voted Bush and Dole. I don't think he was an impressive president. He mainly maintained the Reagan paradigm. Ike upheld the Roosevelt paradigm.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #627 on: February 14, 2017, 09:31:26 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2017, 10:06:27 PM by pbrower2a »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

(I was waiting for a poll of approval or favorability in Iowa from Selzer, and it is only on the travel ban, so I can't use it)  (I have one now)

The Democratic firewall of 2008 and 2012 seems to be forming about four months too late to save America from the "Trumpenstein monster".

Selzer has a reputation as one of the best pollsters around, and it consistently showed Trump almost certain to win Iowa throughout 2016.  This is when Trump approval was already at a 40% approval based upon Gallup national polls.

Iowa is probably about R+2 now..

Donald Trump would lose a state that he won decisively in 2016.

I would like to see polling results for Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin before I project the 2020 election at this stage based on six assumptions:

1. Election not rigged

2. Donald Trump is still President (Mike Pence probably goes down with Donald Trump) -- so the President running for election isn't "Chuck Hagel" or "Mitt Romney", in either case, all bets are off

3. Binary election

4. Approval for President Trump is about the same three years from now

5. The usual gain of 6% from approval to vote share applies to Donald Trump from approval against  the average opponent (according to Nate Silver) applies to the President in the states. 

6. Because favorability and recent polls are relatively close in all states, I can use favorability as a valid proxy in my projections.

Favorability:

Probably our best approximation until about March.

Approval:

Not likely useful until March.

Even -- white

Blue, positive and 40-43%  20% saturation
............................ 44-47%  40%  
............................ 48-50%  50%
............................ 51-55%  70%
............................ 56%+     90%

Red, negative and  48-50%  20% (raw approval or favorability)
..........................  44-47%  30%
..........................  40-43%  50%
..........................  35-39%  70%
.......................under  35%  90%

White - tie.

Colors chosen for partisan affiliation.  

*National poll, and not a state poll -- the national poll is much more flattering to the President, who is shown in deep trouble in that state, and is likely closer to reality.

hopper
United States

« Reply #628 on: February 15, 2017, 01:27:06 AM »
« Edited: February 15, 2017, 02:00:45 AM by hopper »

One thing to look for: really-big waves depend upon the entry of new generations into the political arena as older generations fade out. People born in the 1930s and 1940s are dying off rapidly, so politicians who might still be competent enough if they have a constituency of people who share the same political culture start retiring from public life or being defeated in elections.

New generations have different concerns than the older generations. The Millennial generation is often heavily in debt with on the whole little savings. Debtors tend to be on the political Left  because they want inflation to gut their burdens and an overheated economy to make earning their way out of debt much easier. Creditors are generally on the right, with small-scale creditors (who might have insurance policies or savings accounts) still concerned about having reliable income to protect their assets from having to be drained in economic downturns  but intent on preventing severe inflation. Big creditors want their pounds of flesh -- to make debt hurt the toiler who has had to borrow, perhaps even pawning himself to survive.

The Millennial generation is entering the stage of life when political careers begin to lead into high offices -- state legislatures, the House and the Senate, and even Governorships. The oldest among them will be in their middle-to-late 30s by 2020, and their pols will have an obvious constituency that the Silent (like Mitch McConnell), Boomers (like Trump and the Clintons) and even X (like Barack Obama) can't fully understand and relate. Obama and Trump have played ethnic demographics for their political successes, if in opposite ways, the former for inclusion and the latter for White Power (yes, that is an ugly slogan, but it fits).  

Millennial adults now fill most of the child-bearing years; even if there are adults in their fifties through seventies fathering children, it is the younger women who will be more important in establishing the culture of children.  Millennial adults are very hands-on parents, and they will not accept poverty in the name of some ideal fifty years from now that requires their children to live in poverty. If they have made great sacrifices on behalf of Corporate America, they do not want their children to get things far worse.

Can I at age 61 speak on behalf of Millennial adults? Hardly. But demographics are the ultimate reality in politics. Politicians who can relate to demographic change can be spectacularly successful. Those that cannot adapt lose.  
Obama is a Boomer although a late one.

I don't think Trump is a White Nationalist although I would say he is a "Nationalist". He did put a lot of work in getting to Non-College Whites to show up and vote for him. "White College Graduates" weren't really his coalition though although he did win or lose them depending on what poll you looked at. Exit Polls the night or the day after Trump won the election showed him winning College Educated Whites but Nate Cohn of NYT showed Trump losing College Educated Whites by 2% Points to Hillary.

As far as adapting to Changing Demographics you have to keep your policies fresh since you don't want to run on stale old policies that the electorate isn't buying(i.e. voting for.) Mondale in 1984 was a victim of this as was Romney in 2012 mostly.
hopper
United States

« Reply #629 on: February 15, 2017, 01:53:38 AM »
« Edited: February 15, 2017, 01:56:23 AM by hopper »

SurveyMonkey national poll, conducted Feb. 6-12:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BztOs71zt1WpVE9uajdzMDRfckk/view

Trump job approval:
approve 46%
disapprove 53%
(Those numbers are the same for both adults and RVs.)

approval margin among…
men: +10
women: -22
white: +10
black: -55
Hispanic: -39
white / no college: +24
white / college degree: -16

His numbers with Blacks and Hispanics are what you would expect for a Republican. I feel like he is losing support with "College Educated Whites" since his approvals are -16 with them. He won Non-College Whites by 40% points I think but he has lost 16% points with them to being +24 with them.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #630 on: February 15, 2017, 07:40:33 AM »

Morning Consult/Politico
Trump Approval Rating: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/poll-trump-democrats-elizabeth-warren-235026

Approve: 45%
Disapprove: 45%

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #631 on: February 15, 2017, 07:43:49 AM »

Was approve +1% last week and approve +8% two weeks ago.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #632 on: February 15, 2017, 09:09:43 AM »

Looks like it's actually 49% approve, 45% disapprove:

https://morningconsult.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/170202_topline_Politico_v2_AG.pdf
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #633 on: February 15, 2017, 12:35:20 PM »

Looking down the sheet, I found 49%-46% (I searched "have not heard of the person, please mark Never Heard Of. Donald Trump" using ctrl-f).
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #634 on: February 15, 2017, 01:02:17 PM »

Gallup:

53% Disapprove (-1)
40% Approve
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #635 on: February 15, 2017, 01:33:06 PM »

Economist/YouGov national poll, conducted Feb. 12-14:

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/5amsxmrtih/econToplines.pdf
http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/12jnhk8sf5/econTabReport.pdf

Trump job approval among adults:
approve 43%
disapprove 47%

Trump job approval among RVs:
approve 46%
disapprove 49%

Trump still doing worst among the rich:

income under $50k: -2
income between $50k and $100k: -2
income over $100k: -19

5% of Clinton voters approve of Trump’s job performance.  5% of Trump voters disapprove of his job performance.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #636 on: February 15, 2017, 02:04:48 PM »

If Trump is doing the worst among the rich and is pretty darn negative with white college educated voters, the GA-06 special could be interesting.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #637 on: February 15, 2017, 02:13:29 PM »

If Trump is doing the worst among the rich and is pretty darn negative with white college educated voters, the GA-06 special could be interesting.

"Over $100K" includes lots of well-educated engineers, accountants, physicians, dentists, salespeople, and two-income teaching families... I'm guessing that they don't look kindly upon anti-intellectualism that is the cornerstone of the Trump ethos. 
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #638 on: February 15, 2017, 03:37:11 PM »

"Over $100K" includes lots of well-educated engineers, accountants, physicians, dentists, salespeople, and two-income teaching families... I'm guessing that they don't look kindly upon anti-intellectualism that is the cornerstone of the Trump Republican ethos.  

FIFY. Trump is the party now. That's why I suspect these people are trending Democratic despite Republican tax cuts that would favor them. We've reached the point where the party has become anti-intellectual/professional.

I already mentioned in a previous post that the rise of Trump could possibly be a signal that hardliner social conservatives are more closely aligning with economic protectionists due to a mutual coalescing around cultural reactionism, which is very likely to cleavage the white, college-educated, upper-middle class fiscal conservatives away from the Republican Party over time. If cultural issues supplant economics as the coalition's unifying platform, what's in it anymore for the more fiscally conservative, socially moderate, educated Republicans if they are more culturally similar to educated liberals?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #639 on: February 15, 2017, 04:29:11 PM »

In one of my favorite comparison maps I demonstrated that an Obama win is practically an inverse of an Eisenhower win. In 2008 and 2012 Obama only once won any state that Adlai Stevenson won in the 1950s -- North Carolina, barely. It's not surprising that he would win only one state that Nixon lost in 1972 (Massachusetts) and Reagan lost in 1984 (Minnesota), as those have been tough states for Republicans to win since 1928. Between those two states and Rhode Island, Republican nominees for President have won those states only four times each since 1924 -- Ike won all three of those states twice. Obama and Eisenhower maps of victory are near inversions of partisan identity.

Both Ike and Obama did extremely well with the 'Educated' vote. Republicans used to do better with educated voters, probably because the core of Democratic strength was long in the under-educated South, where Obama and Ike both did badly. Of course, the ethnic competition of the 'Educated' vote may have changed; first-rate colleges used to be largely a WASP preserve and are no longer such any more. As late as 1964, Republicans got the majority of the 'College-educated' vote even though getting creamed nationally in the 1964 LBJ landslide.

I'm guessing that better-educated people are less amenable to demagoguery and tend to prefer a steady hand. They are conservatives on legal precedent no matter how liberal they may be on other issues.

Elect a steady-hand pol like Eisenhower or Obama, and politics could get deathly boring. Elect Donald Trump and politics can become a circus. Maybe something worse, because the typical circus is allegedly wholesome entertainment.   
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #640 on: February 16, 2017, 10:58:40 AM »

Ipsos/Reuters national poll, conducted Feb. 10-14:

http://www.ipsos-na.com/download/pr.aspx?id=16426

approve 46%
disapprove 50%
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #641 on: February 16, 2017, 11:03:28 AM »

Interesting that Americans say their 3 most important issues are:

* the economy
* healthcare
* terrorism

And on these 3 issues, Trump has the following approvals:

* the economy (52-37)
* healthcare (47-43)
* terrorism (50-38)

Yet, overall he has a 46-50 approval.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #642 on: February 16, 2017, 11:20:50 AM »

Interesting that Americans say their 3 most important issues are:

* the economy
* healthcare
* terrorism

And on these 3 issues, Trump has the following approvals:

* the economy (52-37)
* healthcare (47-43)
* terrorism (50-38)

Yet, overall he has a 46-50 approval.

Thats not how percentages work though.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #643 on: February 16, 2017, 11:56:25 AM »

RAS has Trump at (55-45).
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #644 on: February 16, 2017, 12:02:35 PM »

One of these is not like the other...
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #645 on: February 16, 2017, 12:25:24 PM »

Pew Research Center: 39% approve, 56% disapprove (!). That's a -17 rating. Wow.

http://www.people-press.org/2017/02/16/in-first-month-views-of-trump-are-already-strongly-felt-deeply-polarized/?utm_source=adaptivemailer&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=17-02-15%20feb%20political&org=982&lvl=100&ite=819&lea=173153&ctr=0&par=1&trk=
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #646 on: February 16, 2017, 12:31:41 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2017, 12:36:40 PM by Gass3268 »

Man those numbers are brutal.

-25% with college educated white voters
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #647 on: February 16, 2017, 12:43:12 PM »

The asymmetry on the "strongly" part is what could be the most important in upcoming special elections and in 2018. GOTV is easier if your side is energized.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #648 on: February 16, 2017, 12:53:15 PM »

The asymmetry on the "strongly" part is what could be the most important in upcoming special elections and in 2018. GOTV is easier if your side is energized.

Exactly, here's an example in Minnesota:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Republican still won, but it was much closer than it should have been.
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #649 on: February 16, 2017, 01:17:00 PM »

Gallup (2/13-2/15):

Approve 40%
Disapprove 54% (+1)

Change from -13% to -14%
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 75