The Official Trump 1.0 Approval Ratings Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:08:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Official Trump 1.0 Approval Ratings Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 75
Author Topic: The Official Trump 1.0 Approval Ratings Thread  (Read 180416 times)
hopper
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1600 on: April 23, 2017, 01:09:43 PM »

So despite bombing several nations, he's gone from -13 to -10 in the approval ratings sweepstakes. Good job, Donnie. Looks like his presidency will be an unmitigated popularity disaster. He's running far behind Obama's ratings in general. Cannot wait for the recession that will cause Trumpy's ratings to crash through the (already low) basement.
Obama was very likeable where as Trump is not so that's the difference. Obama was personally popular but his policies weren't popular.

Obama was elected with 53% of the vote and was fairly popular until 1 year into his White House. I think for most of his tenure he was at around tied, or up or down by 3-4%. Trump is substantially much more politically unpopular. I think Republicans ignore the enduring unpopularity of Trump at their own political peril; you won't see his supporters engaging that he's unpopular and will remain controversial and unpopular.

I'll add here that Reagan's and Clinton's popularity helped buoy them through difficult times; ditto George W. Bush. In fact, a lot of Clinton and Reagan's legacy remains today because of how popular they were as Presidents and ditto Obama today.

The base should bear that unpopular presidents are usually unable to see their legacies remain enshrined in national law and see their goals quickly undone. Again, I have alluded to the Trump recession coming our way, and if Trump is at 41% and moves to 31% by the time of the recession, Trump could be in true political peril with the myriad of scandals around him.
True if a recession comes he will take the hit like Carter did in '80 and Bush HW did in '92 and be a one-termer. We don't know about the ending result of the scandals(.i.e. Russia) but it doesn't look good.

There is no if. There will be a recession. As far as Russia, he either quits, impeachment, or is quietly forced to abandon a run for President for a second term. The last option could honestly realistically happen so the GOP can try to find someone else but I'm not sure really how that would work out for them ...
Why are you so sure there is going to be a recession?

All bull markets come to an end. Count on Republican efforts to cut wages to stimulate profits; by doing so they cut the consumer economy.

How are Republicans going to cut wages? There is no 60 Republican votes in the US Senate to do that even if they wanted to cut wages.
hopper
United States

« Reply #1601 on: April 23, 2017, 01:13:52 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2017, 01:17:09 PM by hopper »

It's hard to see that deficit among millennials as anything but lethal for Republican presidential candidates, if not in the next presidential election, then in the ones after that.  They better do something to bring more young people on their side, and fast, or else they're in deep trouble.  Something tells me they've already read the tea leaves, and are just hoping to stack the Supreme Court with as many conservatives as possible in the meantime to make the impending left-wing rule less painful.

I don't see Clinton appointees like Breyer or Ginsberg retiring off the bench when Trump is still President. Ginsberg should have probably just retired when Obama(i.e. a Democrat Presidential Administration) was in office but she didn't.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #1602 on: April 23, 2017, 02:20:40 PM »

Gallup

40% (-2)
54% (+2)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1603 on: April 23, 2017, 04:28:50 PM »

It's hard to see that deficit among millennials as anything but lethal for Republican presidential candidates, if not in the next presidential election, then in the ones after that.  They better do something to bring more young people on their side, and fast, or else they're in deep trouble.  Something tells me they've already read the tea leaves, and are just hoping to stack the Supreme Court with as many conservatives as possible in the meantime to make the impending left-wing rule less painful.

I don't see Clinton appointees like Breyer or Ginsberg retiring off the bench when Trump is still President. Ginsberg should have probably just retired when Obama(i.e. a Democrat Presidential Administration) was in office but she didn't.

They're not not going to retire when a President believes that government rightly represents wealth and economic power or that the prohibition of "cruel and unusual punishment"  stops just short of burning at the stake. Nobody so far left as Barry Goldwater really trusts this President.  

Right-wing rule will be nasty.  Donald Trump makes Calvin Coolidge look like a liberal except perhaps on race.    
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1604 on: April 24, 2017, 07:28:59 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2017, 09:11:52 AM by emailking »

The business cycle very rarely goes more than a decade without a recession. I say rarely because I haven't looked at recessions prior to 1920. But here; 1920, 1929, 1937, 1945, 1948, 1958, 1960, 1969, 1973, 1979, 1982, 1990, 2000, 2008, (?).

You'll notice that our last recession ended in 2010. It's highly unlikely that President Trump will not weather a recession by that period. Possible, but very unlikely.

I think it depends whether the length of growth increases the chance of a recession. Otherwise, this might be faulty logic, akin to assuming that a coin coming up heads many times in a row increases the chance that it will come up tails soon, when it doesn't.

There may be correlations between the chance of recession and the length of growth, but do we really know enough about what causes recessions to assume one is very likely in the next few years, beyond simply noticing the duration since the last recession?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1605 on: April 24, 2017, 08:26:45 AM »

When it comes to a possible recession we do have the issue of Trump wanting to bring back coal/manufacturing jobs when the economy is moving green an normally when a president is clashing with the economic environment it has bad results (Hoover/Carter)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1606 on: April 24, 2017, 09:02:11 AM »

Trump's rebound seems to be fading a bit.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1607 on: April 24, 2017, 10:01:37 AM »

Rasmussen (4/24/17)

Approve: 51% (+2)
Dissaprove: 49% (-2)

Ticking up but strongly approve/dissaprove is -7.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1608 on: April 24, 2017, 10:35:17 AM »

Trump says the ABC and NBC polls are "fake news" because they were "totally wrong in the General E" (never mind the fact that ABC/WaPo was only a point off in their final poll, because who cares about the truth?).
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #1609 on: April 24, 2017, 12:18:51 PM »

Today's Gallup

40% (-/-)
54% (-/-)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1610 on: April 24, 2017, 02:46:02 PM »

So despite bombing several nations, he's gone from -13 to -10 in the approval ratings sweepstakes. Good job, Donnie. Looks like his presidency will be an unmitigated popularity disaster. He's running far behind Obama's ratings in general. Cannot wait for the recession that will cause Trumpy's ratings to crash through the (already low) basement.
Obama was very likeable where as Trump is not so that's the difference. Obama was personally popular but his policies weren't popular.

Obama was elected with 53% of the vote and was fairly popular until 1 year into his White House. I think for most of his tenure he was at around tied, or up or down by 3-4%. Trump is substantially much more politically unpopular. I think Republicans ignore the enduring unpopularity of Trump at their own political peril; you won't see his supporters engaging that he's unpopular and will remain controversial and unpopular.

I'll add here that Reagan's and Clinton's popularity helped buoy them through difficult times; ditto George W. Bush. In fact, a lot of Clinton and Reagan's legacy remains today because of how popular they were as Presidents and ditto Obama today.

The base should bear that unpopular presidents are usually unable to see their legacies remain enshrined in national law and see their goals quickly undone. Again, I have alluded to the Trump recession coming our way, and if Trump is at 41% and moves to 31% by the time of the recession, Trump could be in true political peril with the myriad of scandals around him.
True if a recession comes he will take the hit like Carter did in '80 and Bush HW did in '92 and be a one-termer. We don't know about the ending result of the scandals(.i.e. Russia) but it doesn't look good.

There is no if. There will be a recession. As far as Russia, he either quits, impeachment, or is quietly forced to abandon a run for President for a second term. The last option could honestly realistically happen so the GOP can try to find someone else but I'm not sure really how that would work out for them ...
Why are you so sure there is going to be a recession?

All bull markets come to an end. Count on Republican efforts to cut wages to stimulate profits; by doing so they cut the consumer economy.

How are Republicans going to cut wages? There is no 60 Republican votes in the US Senate to do that even if they wanted to cut wages.

National right-to-work (for much less) legislation and an abolition of the federal minimum wage. Such has been a dream of the Corporate Right for several decades, and the Republicans now have the President and Congress of their dreams.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1611 on: April 24, 2017, 03:43:29 PM »

National right-to-work (for much less) legislation and an abolition of the federal minimum wage. Such has been a dream of the Corporate Right for several decades, and the Republicans now have the President and Congress of their dreams.

Meh, I'd dispute that. The GOP under Bush (2005-2007) had it better. Their dream Congress would have been one that a President Hillary Clinton would have delivered in the 2018 midterm, which combined with further gains + the presidency in 2020 would have given them a lot more power to push through their priorities.

As it stands now, it's easy to see the GOP being only minimally productive under Trump, especially if Democrats take back the House or at least make substantial gains in 2018.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1612 on: April 24, 2017, 10:14:01 PM »

Meh, I'd dispute that. The GOP under Bush (2005-2007) had it better. Their dream Congress would have been one that a President Hillary Clinton would have delivered in the 2018 midterm, which combined with further gains + the presidency in 2020 would have given them a lot more power to push through their priorities.

As it stands now, it's easy to see the GOP being only minimally productive under Trump, especially if Democrats take back the House or at least make substantial gains in 2018.

I hope that you are right. I saw such legislation pass the Michigan Snake legislature in a state known for some of the most powerful unions ever. if such can pass in Michigan it can pass nationally.

Corporate America hates unions. It wants helpless cheap labor, and I expect Corporate America to stop at nothing toward that end.   
vote for pedro
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: 0.43

« Reply #1613 on: April 25, 2017, 01:21:57 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/nearing-100-days-trumps-approval-at-record-lows-but-his-base-is-holding/2017/04/22/a513a466-26b4-11e7-b503-9d616bd5a305_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_poll-1202am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.4d40b6f10e85

Buried in the 26th paragraph:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1614 on: April 25, 2017, 01:30:11 AM »

Aside: I guarantee you that the 8% of the electorate who voted for Clinton in November who wouldn't now are still not inclined to vote for him in 2020. Most of these people are probably upset Bernie supporters

It also says that they voted Hillary 46-43. She's doing 6 points worse already.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1615 on: April 25, 2017, 09:39:19 AM »

Rasmussen (4/25/17) Trump CRASHES

Approve: 47% (-4)
Dissaprove: 53% (+4)

Rasmussen seems to be fluctuating recently.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #1616 on: April 25, 2017, 09:41:06 AM »

Rasmussen

Total, -6:
47% (-4)
53% (+4)

Strongly, -12:
30 (-2)
42 (+3)

EDIT: second...
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1617 on: April 25, 2017, 10:50:10 AM »

Rassy is trash regardless of what is shows
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1618 on: April 25, 2017, 11:26:09 AM »

Honest question: how does rasmussen get funding? Who would willingly choose to fund it?
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1619 on: April 25, 2017, 12:14:35 PM »

Today's Gallup 4/25/17

40% (-/-)
55% (+1)

looks like 40 could be his "quiet" Gallup baseline, not 42-43.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1620 on: April 25, 2017, 12:30:47 PM »

Aside: I guarantee you that the 8% of the electorate who voted for Clinton in November who wouldn't now are still not inclined to vote for him in 2020. Most of these people are probably upset Bernie supporters

It also says that they voted Hillary 46-43. She's doing 6 points worse already.

People don't want to vote for someone perceived as a loser. It doesn't matter because Hillary Clinton will not be the Democratic nominee again barring some total revolution in her image.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1621 on: April 25, 2017, 01:05:09 PM »

Rasmussen (4/25/17) Trump CRASHES

Approve: 47% (-4)
Dissaprove: 53% (+4)

Rasmussen seems to be fluctuating recently.

Is it possible to win a Presidential election if one has 53% disapproval?
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1622 on: April 25, 2017, 06:16:09 PM »

Firehouse Strategies Swing State Voter Study:

Trump Favorables:

Florida: 45/41
Ohio: 45/40
Pennsylvania: 45/45
Wisconsin: 40/47

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1623 on: April 25, 2017, 06:56:51 PM »

Trump Favorables:

It's interesting that Wisconsin is so much worse for Trump than the others.  Polling outlier or some actually significant factor in WI?
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1624 on: April 25, 2017, 07:00:40 PM »

Trump Favorables:

It's interesting that Wisconsin is so much worse for Trump than the others.  Polling outlier or some actually significant factor in WI?

Maybe. Perhaps those Obama-Trump voters are less likely to turnout in midterms as well.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies