oregon court rules that 'nonbinary' is a legal gender
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:04:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  oregon court rules that 'nonbinary' is a legal gender
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: oregon court rules that 'nonbinary' is a legal gender  (Read 2405 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2016, 03:21:09 PM »

Why exactly does the government care about your gender in the first place? I can understand why they'd care about your sex, but why would they care about which norms/mores/whatever-gender-means-now-days you identify with enough to have a "legal gender identification?"

I dunno, it seems like a lot of things (like gender anti-discrimination laws) -- whether you like them or oppose them -- relate more toward visible/presented gender than they do biological sex, no?

Because Transgenderism and gender dysphoria are real things, and people shouldn't be forced to choose between male and female on any govt. Document that asks for their gender.

I'm all for being inclusive, but chuck in an "Other" option, or this list is going to get mighty long.

This is very reminiscent of the "I'm okay with gay people, I just don't want them to get married. Call it a 'domestic partnership' instead" argument.

I don't really think that analogy works.  Including a gender as "Other" doesn't imply it's somehow less of a gender than male or female, or intentionally create a lesser class than "gender."  It says, "this is just as much of a gender but doesn't happen to be on our list."

I'm all for the idea that there can be a mismatch between biological sex and how people feel/act, but at the same time, I don't think people should demand, say, that paperwork list their very specific gender identity descriptor for the sake of affirming them.  It's one thing to recognize that biological sex and "gender" (however defined) can vary and that's not an issue.  It's another to assert that someone's specific gender identity must be specifically recognized and positively affirmed at every opportunity.  Sometimes recognition is just descriptive and neutral, and detail is unnecessary if it's not useful for information-gathering purposes.  In those cases, failing to recognize/list someone's specific gender identity isn't a slight.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2016, 07:30:04 PM »

I think this is insanely f[inks]ing stupid and I still wouldn't vote Republican if I lived in Oregon. So there.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2016, 11:21:58 PM »

SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2016, 06:57:20 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Rome
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2016, 09:07:40 AM »

Doesn't "gender" refer to the norms associated with sex? So there could literally be a million genders. The question would be as to whether there ought to be more than two.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2016, 05:05:48 PM »

Often wondered what the 'Q' was in LGBTQ. I guess 'Queer' ain't necessarily a derogatory term after all
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2016, 07:16:59 PM »

Doesn't "gender" refer to the norms associated with sex? So there could literally be a million genders. The question would be as to whether there ought to be more than two.

And the obvious answer is no.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2016, 07:22:58 PM »

Often wondered what the 'Q' was in LGBTQ. I guess 'Queer' ain't necessarily a derogatory term after all
It's controversial.  Some people are all too happy to run around labeling themselves "queer" (it's very important that you don't put an article in front of it or their 'taking it back' charade crumbles quickly).

I'm gay.  Not queer.

Part of being able to take back a word is not having to suffer from it being used against you in a derogatory way.  I grew up being called a "queer".  I imagine the 19 year olds on elite college campuses probably didn't.

publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2016, 07:51:29 PM »

"If it neither breaks my leg, nor picks my pocket..."
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2016, 08:09:07 PM »

"If it neither breaks my leg, nor picks my pocket..."

Except when you're deep in the closet hoping nobody will know you're gay because you're terrified of what they will think.  Then every word is carefully considered.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2016, 08:43:58 PM »

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2016, 08:58:08 PM »

Because Transgenderism and gender dysphoria are real things, and people shouldn't be forced to choose between male and female on any govt. Document that asks for their gender.

I'm all for being inclusive, but chuck in an "Other" option, or this list is going to get mighty long.

Why do we need a "list" of all the genders? Can't we just let everyone write in what they say their gender is, and leave it at that?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2016, 04:06:29 AM »

Why do we need a "list" of all the genders? Can't we just let everyone write in what they say their gender is, and leave it at that?
rather: why do we need a gender field at all?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2016, 02:09:01 PM »

You can't think of situations where a reasonable person would find it useful to refer to a category set descriptor that applies to like 99.5%+ of the population, and has near-perfect correlates to a range of physical features, and significant correlates to a huge range of secondary features?

Like, idk, if you're describing what someone looks like, and removed all things that are constructs, you'd be skipping a lot of helpful descriptors.  "Black guy" is a little better than "darker-complected, flat-chested human with above-average upper-body musculature."
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2016, 02:11:25 PM »

You can't think of situations where a reasonable person would find it useful to refer to a category set descriptor that applies to like 99.5%+ of the population, and has near-perfect correlates to a range of physical features, and significant correlates to a huge range of secondary features?

Like, idk, if you're describing what someone looks like, and removed all things that are constructs, you'd be skipping a lot of helpful descriptors.  "Black guy" is a little better than "darker-complected, flat-chested human with above-average upper-body musculature."

passports have photographs in them
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2016, 07:21:16 PM »

Yes, but according to the transgender lobby, we're not supposed to "assume" gender from photographs or looking at someone's physical features.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2016, 06:04:37 AM »

Yes, but according to the transgender lobby, we're not supposed to "assume" gender from photographs or looking at someone's physical features.
your point?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies