Hindsight Is 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:08:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Hindsight Is 2020
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13
Author Topic: Hindsight Is 2020  (Read 36377 times)
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: February 28, 2017, 10:49:31 AM »

BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #276 on: February 28, 2017, 10:51:49 AM »

Time for Senator Warren to give it up.

You can't down Brown.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #277 on: February 28, 2017, 05:33:15 PM »

Time for Senator Warren to give it up.

You can't down Brown.

#cantdownthebrown
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #278 on: March 01, 2017, 01:05:25 PM »

Monday, April 13th, 2020

They’re making the news,
Campaigning today,
They want to win the delegates
Of my New York!

When Baldwin dropped out
We’ve started anew,
The chance to seize the narrative
Is in New York!

The one who makes it there
Might make it everywhere
It’s up to you
My friend,
New York!

If The New York Primary Were Held Today, Who Would You Vote For?
Sen. Warren: 45%
Sen. Brown: 45%

How perfect is it? The beginning of the end of Wall Street control will be in its own backyard! Next year we will have a President who cares about the American People over the corporate lobbyists! Now allow me to introduce that future President, Elizabeth Warren!

I would have loved to be the one campaigning in my home state, to be the one to take down Donald Trump and redeem New York in the eyes of history. But while I cannot do it, there is one man who can! A Senator who has fought for you in Washington just as I have here in New York City. Sherrod Brown may be Ohio’s son, but he’s a son that New York can be proud of!

I am here today because the next President of the United States needs me. Don’t be fooled by the establishment, today is a new race. Today is the start of a new chapter in our history that will be defined by the first woman to take the oath of office, Elizabeth Warren!

We need a new face in the White House. We need somebody who understands how to make Government work for the American People. We need somebody who can take the world by storm and remind America that “progressive” isn’t a dirty word! We need Sherrod Brown!

Sherrod Brown and Elizabeth Warren pulled out all the stops for this next set of Primaries. Wyoming and New York were voting next Tuesday, and it was delegate-rich New York that had everybody’s attention. This state was known to destroy failing campaigns, including both Ted Cruz’s and Bernie Sanders’ in 2016. But in 2020, it took on a new, even greater meaning. This was the first real test of the campaigns since Super Tuesday.

Tammy Baldwin was out. Exit polls showed that her supporters were split between the other candidates. She was in many ways a fusion of the two survivors. Like Sherrod Brown, she was a Senator from an Obama-to-Trump midwestern state who was arguably too liberal for her home turf. But like Elizabeth Warren, she was a progressive firebrand Senator who could have claimed the title of first woman President. Before, it was possible to win a state with a minority of its vote because of Baldwin; this was no longer possible. To raise the stakes more, New York wasn’t the home turf of either candidate. The city had millions of African-American voters, a strong Demographic for Brown, but the suburbs had college-educated whites who preferred Warren. Brown was stronger upstate, but Warren was closer in proximity.

As the candidates ate sausage sandwiches at upstate fairs, held rallies in Westchester, and took questions from reporters in Manhattan, it surely dawned on both of them that neither would get the necessary delegates to clinch the nomination on their own. They would have to persuade Ellison, Booker, Franken, and Baldwin to stand victorious in Atlanta. For Warren, winning New York would give her the second wind she needs to come out of this on top.

For Brown, a loss in New York could be compensated for with a win in Pennsylvania, and then in New Jersey and California. But Cali would be even worse terrain than New York for him, and that state might doom him at the last second even if he were to win here. All his wins in the Midwest, in Michigan and Illinois and Wisconsin and Iowa, would be rendered moot if the contest ended with a pro-Warren narrative. But if he won here, Sherrod Brown would be able to nearly shut down his opposition entirely, and shift his efforts to Donald Trump.

New York would truly be do or die for both candidates.

To make things even bigger, Brown had been in talks with Senator Franken for the last couple of weeks, hoping to convince Franken to endorse him and give him the delegate Minnesota’s Junior Senator had won. Not only would it put Brown closer to an outright win, but it would also allow him to control the narrative. Brown knew that Hillary Clinton’s nomination four years ago was so much because of her lead with unpledged delegates, allowing her to appear to the voters in later states as having a larger lead than the one she really had. If Brown could do the same, the rest of the states would be more likely to vote for him.

However, the talks changed after Tammy Baldwin dropped out. Franken grew worried about the narrative of the primary reset, if not immediately, then at the point when Kate Brown and Kirsten Gillbrand started stumping for Warren. As he approached his podium in an auditorium in a middle school in Somers for another rally, he remembered Franken’s words.

”If that narrative is so untrue, then win New York and put our minds at ease!”
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #279 on: March 01, 2017, 01:22:42 PM »

Cuomo endorsing Brown? SherRIP.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #280 on: March 04, 2017, 10:22:19 AM »

Nope, I am not letting this TL go to page 2! Time for another update!

Thursday, April 16th, 2020
The 12th Democratic Primary Debate

Sherrod Brown of Ohio. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts. For the first time, these two candidates would debate, one on one, with nobody else to take up speaking time. Other than that it was the same as any other debate. The Broadway stage that normally hosted Hamilton wasn’t that different from auditoriums in the past, and the moderators, Rachel Maddow and Chris Hayes, had danced this dance before. But the distillation of the field to just two candidates changed everything. The back and forth that was impossible with Booker or Baldwin around could no longer be stopped. If there were any gloves left, they were about to come off.

The barbs were thrown right at the opening statements. Rachel Maddow made the mistake (or perhaps, decision) of instructing the candidates to ask each other a question in their opening statements.

Elizabeth Warren
The past four years have shown us that this country desperately needs a real leader, who cares more about their country than their image, who carves a new political landscape, rather than simply taking advantage of it. I have fought tooth and nail against the oligarchs my entire adult life, and in the eight years I’ve been in the Senate I’ve forced the Democratic Party to take a stand against corporate control, something it wasn’t willing to do before, even while my opponent was in Washington. My question to him is this: why should you be the one to benefit from the work I’ve done in this party and in this country?

Sherrod Brown
There’s no denying that Donald Trump has been a disaster for this country. When you don’t have a policy plan of your own, and bow to the Republican agenda, you shouldn’t be surprised to find that growth is down and your healthcare costs are up. I’ve spent most of my life fighting in Washington, on issues from banking to bail to infrastructure, even when leadership probably didn’t want me around. In my rallies you hear me talk about my plans to address the issues of this country. In my opponent’s rallies, I hear her decrying Wall Street, and the banks, and Donald Trump, again and again. My question is: We know by now what you’re against. What are you for?

It only got worse. Both candidates stuck to their themes of attack on each other. To hear it from Brown, Warren didn’t have a detailed plan like he did because she’s too busy focusing on opposing things than finding ways to help the American People. To hear it from Warren, Brown was an opportunist and a hypocrite who now seems to take the credit for her work changing the Democratic Party.

Both needed an answer to the other’s accusations, so Warren spoke of gun control and tax reform. Brown took a different swing.

Sherrod Brown
I’ve never tried to take credit for somebody else’s work. When an idea isn’t mine, I say so on my website. I support Tammy Baldwin’s immigration reform proposal. I want to implement Al Franken’s proposed regulations to private prisons. I agree with Ron Wyden on protecting our civil liberties. Much of my budget proposal was taken from Bernie Sanders, with his blessing. My colleagues and I have been working on these issues long before you joined us. I haven’t stolen your party, Senator; it was never yours to steal.

Eventually the dust settled, the candidates left the stage where Burr kills Hamilton every night, and there was nothing left to do but wait.

Next time, New York’s voice is heard.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #281 on: March 04, 2017, 10:23:07 AM »

I dig this TL bigly!
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #282 on: March 04, 2017, 11:12:51 AM »

Do you mean tremendous or huge?
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #283 on: March 04, 2017, 04:10:15 PM »

Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #284 on: March 06, 2017, 06:48:10 PM »

Tuesday, April 21st, 2020

New York Primary Vote Count/Delegate Allocation:
Sen. Brown: 58% - 160 Delegates
Sen. Warren: 42% - 116 Delegates
(276 Pledged, 15 Unpledged)

Wyoming Primary Vote Count/Delegate Allocation:
Sen. Brown: 75% - 12 Delegates
Sen. Warren: 25% - 4 Delegates
(16 Pledged, 2 Unpledged)

American Samoa
Northern Mariana Islands

Americans Abroad
Guam
US Virgin Islands

Senator Sherrod Brown: 1054 Delegates
Senator Elizabeth Warren: 755 Delegates
Unpledged: 1241 Delegates
  • 148 Superdelegates
  • 148 Delegates won by Senator Al Franken
  • 378 Delegates won by Senator Cory Booker
  • 567 Delegates won by Senator Tammy Baldwin
4,707 Delegates
3,050 Allocated
2,382 To Win

Thank you New York! Today showed the entire world that the people of this country want new leadership. We want a leader who cares about the average citizen, about the young immigrant who has a 4.0 GPA but not a path to citizenship, about the worker in Richmond Heights who was swayed by false promises that he might get a better job only to lose everything, about the cancer patients who were able to afford their treatments until their insurance was taken away. Like every election, this is not the end of a story, but the beginning of a better chapter in our nation’s history!

Sherrod Brown won an important victory today. By claiming New York’s delegates in a decisive victory, Sherrod Brown reclaimed the narrative of the Democratic Primary, and cemented his status as the frontrunner for his party’s nomination.

Next time: a "brand new" endorsement and some more campaigning!
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #285 on: March 09, 2017, 09:35:12 AM »

Wednesday, April 22nd, 2020

The establishment knows that the voters want nothing to do with them! They knew that coming out and saying they were scared of me would only help our movement. They tried to keep quiet, but today’s events just tipped their hand! They’d rather have Brown than me because Brown will answer to them, while I answer only to the American people!

The campaigns have moves to the rest of the Northeast: Maryland, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Delaware. The biggest prize is Pennsylvania, where Brown is currently ahead, but even with Franken’s endorsement, there’s always an opportunity for Warren to seize the comeback narrative.

Next time: The rest of the Northeast votes!
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #286 on: March 09, 2017, 04:28:59 PM »

I assume Brown wins everything left by RI + CT.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #287 on: March 09, 2017, 07:20:35 PM »

#Brown2020IGuessButIfWarrenComesBackThatsAlsoCool
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #288 on: March 09, 2017, 07:30:27 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2017, 07:32:07 PM by UWS »

You mean Brown would win Pensylvania, Maryland and Delaware while Warren would win Connecticut and Rhode Island?

If that's the case, that's a very plausible scenario since Pensylvania borders Brown's home state of Ohio and because Maryland and Delaware seem to have this tendency of voting for the candidate supported the establishment while Connecticut and Rhode Island border Warren's home state of Massachusetts, which would give her an advantage in these two states.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #289 on: March 09, 2017, 07:56:57 PM »

You mean Brown would win Pensylvania, Maryland and Delaware while Warren would win Connecticut and Rhode Island?

If that's the case, that's a very plausible scenario since Pensylvania borders Brown's home state of Ohio and because Maryland and Delaware seem to have this tendency of voting for the candidate supported the establishment while Connecticut and Rhode Island border Warren's home state of Massachusetts, which would give her an advantage in these two states.

I meant everything, everything. Though I could also see Warren winning New Mexico, and the Dakotas are strange. If Booker endorsed Warren, maybe she wins New Jersey.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #290 on: March 12, 2017, 08:04:40 PM »

Clip from Secular Talk's show on April 23rd, 2020. Title: Who I voted for in New York

Okay, so we just had the New York Primary two days ago, and Sherrod Brown won, so he is now the obvious frontrunner for the nomination. The final result was Sherrod Brown with 58% of the vote and 160 delegate and Elizabeth Warren with 42% and 116 delegates, leaving Brown in the lead with 1042 delegates to Warren's 755.

Okay, so if I'm Keith Ellison, now I start worrying about a contested convention. Even Sherrod Brown still needs over 1000 delegates to lock up the nomination, so it's obviously getting to crunch time and the next round of primaries will likely either kill or save Elizabeth Warren's campaign if she wants to avoid dragging the party into a contested convention.

But, now it's the moment you've been waiting for. Who did I vote for in the New York Primary? Well, originally, I planned to write in Bernie or Tulsi Gabbard or Jeff Merkley, but I realised that was probably pointless, so I voted for . . .

Sherrod Brown.

In my opinion, neither candidate is the progressive we were hoping for, but Sherrod Brown is already a very, very strong candidate; I mean, this is the guy who beat John f***in' Kasich in the 2018 Senate race. Granted, that partly was because Brown ran one of the best Senate campaigns I've ever seen and John Kasich's was basically *does "memememememememememme" then farting noise*. Seriously, it was one of the worst Senate campaigns I've seen.

But yes, I do believe that Sherrod Brown is the best candidate we have to beat Donald Trump.

Also, make sure you tune in after the Northeastern primaries soon, because after them, the Justice Democrats organizing committee is meeting to vote on who we'll be endorsing for President. So, watch this space.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #291 on: March 14, 2017, 04:19:25 PM »

Good enough to be sticked for now.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #292 on: March 14, 2017, 04:30:31 PM »

Shocked Great honer! Okay, since we're doing a sticky rotation thing, I'm going to commemorate this by updating every evening until it's either unstickied or I run out of reserve content. Update coming in a few hours!
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #293 on: March 14, 2017, 07:09:22 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2017, 07:20:04 PM by Deputy Chair Spenstar »

Tuesday, April 28th, 2020
Super Tuesday 5: The Empire Strikes Back

Pennsylvania Primary Vote Count/Delegate Allocation:
Sen. Brown: 64% - 129 Delegates
Sen. Warren: 36% - 73 Delegates
(202 Pledged, 7 Unpledged)

Connecticut Primary Vote Count/Delegate Allocation:
Sen. Warren: 55% - 36 Delegates
Sen. Brown: 45% - 30 Delegates
(66 Pledged, 5 Unpledged)

Rhode Island Primary Vote Count/Delegate Allocation:
Sen. Warren: 67% - 20 Delegates
Sen. Brown: 33% - 10 Delegates
(30 Pledged, 3 Unpledged)

Delaware Primary Vote Count/Delegate Allocation:
Sen. Brown: 59% - 17 Delegates
Sen. Warren: 41% - 11 Delegates
(28 Pledged, 4 Unpledged)

Maryland Primary Vote Count/Delegate Allocation:
Sen. Brown: 63% - 70 Delegates
Sen. Warren: 37% - 41 Delegates
(111 Pledged, 8 Unpledged)

American Samoa
Northern Mariana Islands

Americans Abroad
Guam
US Virgin Islands

Senator Sherrod Brown: 1458 Delegates
  • 1310 Delegates won by Senator Sherrod Brown
  • 148 Delegates given to Sen. Brown from Senator Al Franken
Senator Elizabeth Warren: 936 Delegates
Unpledged: 1120 Delegates

• 175 Superdelegates
4,707 Delegates
3,514 Allocated
2,382 To Win

Sherrod Brown scored some impressive victories tonight. While Elizabeth Warren officially won every state in New England, Brown won Delaware, Pennsylvania, and Maryland. At this point it is entirely possible for him to get the delegates he needs to secure the nomination in Atlanta.

However, he has a problem on his hands. Elizabeth Warren’s been framing him as a tool of the establishment since he got Franken’s endorsement. The very last thing Brown needed was a #WarrenOrBust movement that might cost him the election. He needed a way to block Warren’s attacks, and there wouldn’t be another debate for a while.

He needed to get a progressive icon to endorse him. He already had a few, including Tim Ryan and Bill de Blasio, but he needed somebody else, somebody held in high esteem among progressives who didn’t endorse him already. But who?

Well, there was one person…

Next time: Mooore primaries!
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #294 on: March 15, 2017, 02:55:49 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2017, 03:40:42 PM by Senator LLR »

Love your TL Spen Purple heart Purple heart
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #295 on: March 15, 2017, 07:47:17 PM »

Thank you bud Purple heart Purple heart

Saturday, May 9th, 2020
Super Saturday: The Spinoff to the Super Tuesday Series

Indiana Primary Vote Count/Delegate Allocation:
Sen. Brown: 70% - 60 Delegates
Sen. Warren: 33% - 26 Delegates
(86 Pledged, 3 Unpledged)

Guam Primary Vote Count/Delegate Allocation:
Sen. Brown: 56% - 6 Delegates
Sen. Warren: 44% - 4 Delegates
(10 Pledged, 2 Unpledged)

West Virginia Primary Vote Count/Delegate Allocation:
Sen. Brown: 81% - 28 Delegates
Sen. Warren: 19% - 6 Delegates
(34 Pledged, 3 Unpledged)

American Samoa
Northern Mariana Islands

Americans Abroad
Guam
US Virgin Islands

Senator Sherrod Brown: 1552 Delegates
  • 1404 Delegates won by Senator Sherrod Brown
  • 148 Delegates given to Sen. Brown from Senator Al Franken
Senator Elizabeth Warren: 972 Delegates
Unpledged: 1128 Delegates

• 183 Superdelegates
4,707 Delegates
3,652 Allocated
2,382 To Win

Sherrod Brown’s strength with working-class white voters in Ohio also allowed him to resonate with voters in Indiana and West Virginia. He got three decisive victories today, and with those performances, Kentucky looked strong for him as well. But can he truly lock this up?

Next time: A whole bunch of stuff!
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #296 on: March 16, 2017, 09:15:20 PM »

Oh, Warren. Don't turn me against you. That'd be sad.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #297 on: March 17, 2017, 10:07:27 AM »

Oh, Warren. Don't turn me against you. That'd be sad.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #298 on: March 17, 2017, 11:00:50 AM »

Whelp, forgot to update last night, (I had a lot going on that I had to take care of) so I guess we're unstickied. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted!
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #299 on: March 17, 2017, 11:04:10 AM »

SpenstaRIP stickydom. Sad
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies