Southwestern Kansas and the Texas panhandle
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:50:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  Southwestern Kansas and the Texas panhandle
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Southwestern Kansas and the Texas panhandle  (Read 1731 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2016, 06:29:00 PM »

A number of counties in this region actually swung towards Clinton. What happened? Did Republican support there just max out in 2012 or something?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 06:41:01 PM »

Hispanics
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 01:24:38 AM »

I'm guessing the effect is more Hispanics moving into the area, rather than Hispanics swinging from Romney to Clinton?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 03:29:28 AM »

I'm guessing the effect is more Hispanics moving into the area, rather than Hispanics swinging from Romney to Clinton?

Actually, I think it is a mixture of local Latinos that are more established "Old Tejano" residents, that typically would tend to lean Republican, combined with a higher birthrate than the "Old Anglos" and the children and grandkids are coming of voting age, and voting more like Millennials in other parts of the country.

We need to remember that most of these counties are extremely sparsely populated and there isn't a ton of net migration into this region, and as I have stated multiple times rural WestTex was one of the few regions where there was a net swing towards Obama between '08 and '12, and I suspect that with Trump as the Republican nominee it swung even harder Dem this year than before, simply because this dude Trump is not a typical Texas Republican, even among older Tejano voters and there descendents.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 06:24:01 PM »

Actually, I think it is a mixture of local Latinos that are more established "Old Tejano" residents, that typically would tend to lean Republican, combined with a higher birthrate than the "Old Anglos" and the children and grandkids are coming of voting age, and voting more like Millennials in other parts of the country.

We need to remember that most of these counties are extremely sparsely populated and there isn't a ton of net migration into this region, and as I have stated multiple times rural WestTex was one of the few regions where there was a net swing towards Obama between '08 and '12, and I suspect that with Trump as the Republican nominee it swung even harder Dem this year than before, simply because this dude Trump is not a typical Texas Republican, even among older Tejano voters and there descendents.

I don't know what counties you or Figueira are specifically talking about, but there has been a lot of Hispanic immigration to a lot of the meat packing counties in Kansas.  Seward County (Liberal) is now majority Hispanic, and Finney County (Garden City) is inching its way there.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 03:39:55 PM »

Mostly Hispanic population growth and concerted registration efforts in those areas. Moreover, in Seward County, KS there has also been an influx of Somali immigrants. Most aren't voters but some have been in places like Minnesota before and became citizens.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 05:32:53 PM »

I don't know what counties you or Figueira are specifically talking about, but there has been a lot of Hispanic immigration to a lot of the meat packing counties in Kansas.  Seward County (Liberal) is now majority Hispanic, and Finney County (Garden City) is inching its way there.

The counties in southwestern Kansas that swung towards Clinton (according to the NYT map) are Seward, Haskell, Finney, Stevens, Grant, Stanton, and Wichita. All of them still voted heavily for Trump, of course.

Thanks for the info.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 10:34:26 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2016, 10:53:40 PM by ElectionsGuy »

The Latino population and therefore the Latino voting population is only going to increase as years go on, and the white vote in those areas is already at 85-90% Republican so we'll continue to see slight swings towards Democrats.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 04:19:43 PM »

Mostly Hispanic population growth and concerted registration efforts in those areas. Moreover, in Seward County, KS there has also been an influx of Somali immigrants. Most aren't voters but some have been in places like Minnesota before and became citizens.
Slow registration among Hispanics in that region from what I hear. At least relative to population growth.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies