Is anti Trump red baiting here to stay?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:35:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is anti Trump red baiting here to stay?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is it the new normal
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Is anti Trump red baiting here to stay?  (Read 1214 times)
Cashew
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2016, 11:05:33 PM »

I assumed it was just campaign rhetoric that would blow over by now, but I was watching Lawrence O'Donnell, and Rick Wilson was on rambling about how Flynn is possibly "compromised", and mentioned "soviet penetration".
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 11:08:49 PM »

Yes, and it will further sink the MSM's credibility.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 11:16:44 PM »

......knowing what we know now about russia's involvement in the trump campaign/WL could....maybe...maybe...matter in that regard.

and putin is anything but "red".
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 11:20:02 PM »

In the '30s Russia exported far left ideology. Now it exports far right ideology. RT staff displeased
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 11:51:38 PM »

Russia is hardly a Communist stronghold. The Communist Party doesn't even perform well that well in elections and Putin's United Russia is right-wing. That aside, Putin's driven less by basic right-left ideology and more by power grabbing.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 12:01:15 AM »

I said red baiting because it is the most commonly used term when smearing people as Russian agents. I am aware that is is not accurate ideologically.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 12:18:24 AM »

Just because he won doesn't mean we should just roll over and deal with the fact that a foreign nation succeeded in influencing our nation's election.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 03:36:52 PM »

Just because he won doesn't mean we should just roll over and deal with the fact that a foreign nation succeeded in influencing our nation's election.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 03:57:12 PM »

I just hope there aren't any witch hunts.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 04:36:49 PM »

Well, the God-Emperor had help from Moscow. That much we know. The Russians were very much pro-God-Emperor Trump because, a deal's a deal and Trump is a yuuuge negotiatior.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 04:41:32 PM »

Well, the God-Emperor had help from Moscow. That much we know. The Russians were very much pro-God-Emperor Trump because, a deal's a deal and Trump is a yuuuge negotiatior.

That is not even the worse part. What happens when Trump tries to dine and dash or when Putin has decided the US Alt-Right has outlived their usefulness?
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 04:44:52 PM »

That is not even the worse part. What happens when Trump tries to dine and dash or when Putin has decided the US Alt-Right has outlived their usefulness?

To be honest, putting aside my snark, I think that Russia will definitely try to manipulate Trump, who is very ... easy to do so and has isolationist tendencies. In other words, Russia will take advantage of Trump's inability to aggressively stand up to Moscow. He's stated as much during the campaign.

Russia is not interested, as foreign policy experts have said, in meddling with our elections as much as creating instability. If they mess with Trump, I can imagine how ... "prepared" his team will be. (aka not very).
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2016, 04:45:49 PM »

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/11/11/1596660/-Gingrich-proposed-bringing-back-House-Un-American-Activities-Committee
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 05:20:19 PM »

To be honest, putting aside my snark, I think that Russia will definitely try to manipulate Trump, who is very ... easy to do so and has isolationist tendencies. In other words, Russia will take advantage of Trump's inability to aggressively stand up to Moscow. He's stated as much during the campaign.

Russia is not interested, as foreign policy experts have said, in meddling with our elections as much as creating instability. If they mess with Trump, I can imagine how ... "prepared" his team will be. (aka not very).

I can easily see a situation where Merkel takes the lead on a lot of things or even starts a German nuclear program because of this. Germany could probably compete with Russia militarily if they had one.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 05:23:56 PM »

I can easily see a situation where Merkel takes the lead on a lot of things or even starts a German nuclear program because of this. Germany could probably compete with Russia militarily if they had one.

What makes you think the Germans - who don't even like civil nuclear energy and are probably the most anti-military in the West - would jump for nuclear weaponry?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2016, 05:30:57 PM »

What makes you think the Germans - who don't even like civil nuclear energy and are probably the most anti-military in the West - would jump for nuclear weaponry?

This entire notion that Merkel is the "new leader of the free world"? What else are Europeans going to do with Putin making Trump look the other way? Maybe what I said was hyperbole but is Europe going to roll over?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2016, 05:33:38 PM »

Let's be clear, there's no evidence that the Russian government actually influenced the outcome (hacks aside, but any information released from those hardly shifted the balance of the election) of the election in any material way. Sure, it may have been favourable to Trump, but that was hardly a help to his campaign, given that it gave the Democrats and the media a great big stick to whack him with as the 'Manchurian candidate'. Moreover, sure, Putin basically endorsed Trump... just like Gordon Brown and a number of other foreign politicians basically endorsed Obama in 2008 and 2012, and John Howard and others did Bush in 2004. Foreign politicians often endorse candidates in US elections, it's nothing new.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2016, 05:56:43 PM »

I said red baiting because it is the most commonly used term when smearing people as Russian agents. I am aware that is is not accurate ideologically.
It's not a smear if it's true, ya dingus.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2016, 06:05:49 PM »

Let's be clear, there's no evidence that the Russian government actually influenced the outcome (hacks aside, but any information released from those hardly shifted the balance of the election) of the election in any material way. Sure, it may have been favourable to Trump, but that was hardly a help to his campaign, given that it gave the Democrats and the media a great big stick to whack him with as the 'Manchurian candidate'. Moreover, sure, Putin basically endorsed Trump... just like Gordon Brown and a number of other foreign politicians basically endorsed Obama in 2008 and 2012, and John Howard and others did Bush in 2004. Foreign politicians often endorse candidates in US elections, it's nothing new.

The fearmongering is a double-edged sword, though. It looked ridiculous and unhinged to far too many people who were not already in Clinton's camp.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2016, 06:42:45 PM »

The fearmongering is a double-edged sword, though. It looked ridiculous and unhinged to far too many people who were not already in Clinton's camp.
Romney's red baiting was seen as unhinged.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2016, 07:19:40 PM »

Yes, it was. That's something a lot of people have forgotten.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2016, 07:29:37 PM »

And we owe him an apology for that.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2016, 07:32:28 PM »

And we owe him an apology for that.

Having voted for Romney, I agree. If we were the party of Mitt Romney, I might still be a Republican.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2016, 07:47:49 PM »

Let's be clear, there's no evidence that the Russian government actually influenced the outcome (hacks aside, but any information released from those hardly shifted the balance of the election) of the election in any material way.

that is not necessary to be disturbed in a meaningful way.

the result of the leaks - which were aimed at a specific goal - were the major campaign topic for over a month.

even if not even a single vote has been changed cause of those leaks (not likely), the potential wish to undermine the election and the DIRECT communication between russian state actors and the trump campaign are reason enough for small-l liberals to worry.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2016, 09:48:47 PM »

Well, obviously it's not currently the 21st century.

https://twitter.com/thedemocrats/status/260497619862835201

I'm no fan of Putin, but I'll be sure not to vote for any Democrat who goes "BUT RUSSIA!!!!!"
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies