Montana GOP sweeps all statewide races (except for Governor)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:52:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Montana GOP sweeps all statewide races (except for Governor)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Montana GOP sweeps all statewide races (except for Governor)  (Read 937 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2016, 05:27:01 AM »

I don't think this has happened before. Pretty good night for a state party that is generally in terrible shape. Republicans are becoming more and more competitive in the state.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.kpax.com/story/33671939/gov-bullock-narrowly-wins-re-election-gop-sweeps-other-statewide-races
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 05:27:50 AM »

Yes it is a question of time before they control everything
mds32
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 11:40:15 AM »

The GOP probably finally takes back the governors seat by 2020. The Democrats are truly lucky IMO to have held onto such a conservative state's governor mansion for 16 years (by 2020). I just think the GOP has likely cleared most of the Democrats bench to run credible candidates now.
PAK Man

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 11:48:30 AM »

I think that mostly had to do with the fact that, besides governor and AG, every office was open. That, and Democrats didn't seriously challenge some of these races (deputy auditor running for auditor and the Democrat challenging the AG's race pretty much did no campaigning).
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 03:34:07 PM »

This bench reminds me of the Michigan Republican bench - a bunch of names, but not much talent, at least other than maybe Fox. Fox seems like a strong contender for Governor next time around, but Stapleton is kind of a clown, Rosendale is unimpressive, and both of them seem to run every time there's an opening.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 10:46:10 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2016, 10:52:34 PM by TN Volunteer »

Looks like ND in 2012 right now.  One Dem holds on in an ancestral Dem state while everyone else is wiped out.

Yeah. Tester got really lucky when Trump won. Don't think he would have survived a Clinton midterm. Now his race is at least a Tossup/Tilt D instead of Lean R. I think he will be gone if Trump is very popular in the state, though.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 05:47:04 AM »

Looks like ND in 2012 right now.  One Dem holds on in an ancestral Dem state while everyone else is wiped out.

Yeah. Tester got really lucky when Trump won. Don't think he would have survived a Clinton midterm. Now his race is at least a Tossup/Tilt D instead of Lean R. I think he will be gone if Trump is very popular in the state, though.
I totally agree with you on that. Tester would have lost (something like by 5 points) had Clinton been elected president.
But considering Trump won and Montana doesn't seem to like the parties in power (Clinton won it in 1992, Obama was close to win it in 2008, Trump destroyed Clinton in 1996), I guess he should narrowly survive in the end.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 12:30:11 PM »

Walter Schweitzer, former Deputy Auditor, should have ran for auditor.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 08:52:06 PM »

Is he related to Brian? I looked him up but couldn't find any info.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 08:56:51 PM »

He's his brother.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 08:57:48 PM »

He is Brian's brother. Next time try Googling the person's name and then the state, like this: "Walter Schweitzer Montana". Walter Schweitzer caused some controversy because he dared to advise his brother and talk to state legislators. This caused charges of "subtle nepotism" which made little to no sense to me.

He would also have been a bigger name for Lieutenant Governor, as would almost anyone(even John Walsh or Amanda Curtis would be better known).
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 09:00:08 PM »

He is Brian's brother. Next time try Googling the person's name and then the state, like this: "Walter Schweitzer Montana". Walter Schweitzer caused some controversy because he dared to advise his brother and talk to state legislators. This caused charges of "subtle nepotism" which made little to no sense to me.
Oh, sorry. I actually read Brian Schweitzer's Wikipedia page and it did not mention him. Stupid of me not do more Googling.
He would also have been a bigger name for Lieutenant Governor, as would almost anyone(even John Walsh or Amanda Curtis would be better known).
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2016, 09:29:17 PM »

Oh, sorry. I actually read Brian Schweitzer's Wikipedia page and it did not mention him. Stupid of me not do more Googling.
(Edited your post for you)

I actually first read about him on Monica Lindeen's Wikipedia page:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies