FL-SEN 2018: Scott likely to run against Nelson
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:35:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  FL-SEN 2018: Scott likely to run against Nelson
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: FL-SEN 2018: Scott likely to run against Nelson  (Read 3381 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2016, 07:01:11 AM »
« edited: December 27, 2016, 04:40:27 PM by MT Treasurer »

Scott says 'it's an option', but Nelson expects him to be his opponent
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 01:12:40 PM »

He's pretty open about running. I'm not entirely sure if he will or not, but if he does enter the race, he'll probably clear the field. I'd rather have DeSantis run personally.

Agriculture Commissioner Putnam is running for Governor in 2018, while CLC is looking at running for CFO. Jeff Atwater, the current CFO, could run for Governor or Senate, but I think his best bet is to try and wiggle his way onto the gubernatorial ticket. DeSantis might possibly run for Attorney General, but frankly, I think that'd be a mistake. Case in point, the rise, plateau, and slow fall of Bill McCollum.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 02:34:51 PM »

He's pretty open about running. I'm not entirely sure if he will or not, but if he does enter the race, he'll probably clear the field. I'd rather have DeSantis run personally.

Agriculture Commissioner Putnam is running for Governor in 2018, while CLC is looking at running for CFO. Jeff Atwater, the current CFO, could run for Governor or Senate, but I think his best bet is to try and wiggle his way onto the gubernatorial ticket. DeSantis might possibly run for Attorney General, but frankly, I think that'd be a mistake. Case in point, the rise, plateau, and slow fall of Bill McCollum.

My understanding is Atwater out of all races
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 03:34:47 PM »

Not from Florida, of course, but if you're Nelson, is there anyone you'd rather face than Rick Scott?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 03:37:03 PM »

Is he? I haven't heard anything that you haven't, but I think ending his career on the high note of Lt. Governor before collecting a pension and joining a lucrative lobbying firm based somewhere off Jefferson or Adams Street here in town would make sense for him. I'd make sense.

I frankly don't see any room for Bondi at this point. What else is there for her to do? I guess she can run for Congress or the legislature, but she won't beat Scott or Putnam in the Senate/Gubernatorial primaries.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 03:37:49 PM »

Not from Florida, of course, but if you're Nelson, is there anyone you'd rather face than Rick Scott?

Probably Huckabee.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 03:38:56 PM »

Plenty of people I can think of, but ultimately none will run. Scott is a good "wave insurance" candidate. Carlos Beruff would go down in flames if he ran against Nelson, but Beruff is also a friend of Rick Scott and would never run against him.

Probably Huckabee.
With Huckabee going to Israel, I think we've heard the last of his political ambitions. Certainly in Florida, at least.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 05:20:22 PM »

Likely D then.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 06:30:54 PM »

Not sure which Republican would be better than Scott. Scott has the name recognition, the money, etc. It all depends on his and Trump's approval ratings, but if both are relatively popular, this will be a competitive race.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 06:35:23 PM »

Ileana Ros-Lehtinehen, Carlos Curbelo, or even David Jolly are the best potential Republicans for this seat. CLC is okay.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 07:14:29 PM »

Ileana Ros-Lehtinehen, Carlos Curbelo, or even David Jolly are the best potential Republicans for this seat. CLC is okay.
Tom Rooney and Ron DeSantis are other strong potential candidates. Both are strong fundraisers, more charismatic, and less polarizing. IRL is not leaving the House, she's more powerful as a Congresswoman than she'll ever be as a Senator this late into her career. But it looks like Scott will get the primary all to himself, though I'm fine with that.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 11:47:35 PM »

Scott isn't going to get lucky again if he's going up against Nelson, especially in an environment that will probably be at least somewhat bad for Republicans. They should try and find someone else.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 11:52:46 PM »

Is he? I haven't heard anything that you haven't, but I think ending his career on the high note of Lt. Governor before collecting a pension and joining a lucrative lobbying firm based somewhere off Jefferson or Adams Street here in town would make sense for him. I'd make sense.

I frankly don't see any room for Bondi at this point. What else is there for her to do? I guess she can run for Congress or the legislature, but she won't beat Scott or Putnam in the Senate/Gubernatorial primaries.

That's per RRH. I consider you more connected
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 04:40:11 PM »

Scott's PAC fund points to possible Senate run

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 05:18:51 PM »

Scott is an incredibly skilled politician. He was more than 20 points behind Crist in 2013, but still managed to win narrowly when the actual election happened. The race would start at Lean D due to Nelson's incumbency, but I would not be surprised by a Scott victory at all.

For those who care, I would endorse Nelson.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 05:32:23 PM »

Scott is an incredibly skilled politician. He was more than 20 points behind Crist in 2013, but still managed to win narrowly when the actual election happened. The race would start at Lean D due to Nelson's incumbency, but I would not be surprised by a Scott victory at all.

For those who care, I would endorse Nelson.

And Nelson is a lucky politician who has never faced a particularly good candidate before. McCollum (2000) and Mack (2012) were mediocre, and Katherine Harris (2006) was just awful.
peterthlee
China

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2016, 08:38:26 PM »

In this scenario, Nelson is likely to win high single to double digits.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2016, 08:54:31 PM »

That could happen, but I doubt Scott will lose in a huge landslide. It should be a relatively competitive race and I have a gut feeling that whoever wins it will do so with a margin of 1% or less. Don't underestimate how many John Morgan/Rick Scott voters there could be.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 12:15:39 AM »

That could happen, but I doubt Scott will lose in a huge landslide. It should be a relatively competitive race and I have a gut feeling that whoever wins it will do so with a margin of 1% or less. Don't underestimate how many John Morgan/Rick Scott voters there could be.
Agree 100%.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 12:35:22 AM »

Agree 100%.
I'd say a Nelson-Scott race would result in something like 54-46 for Nelson.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 12:37:55 AM »

Scott probably wouldn't lose by double digits, since Florida races are usually at least somewhat close. Let's not forget that he won by a tiny margin in two Republican wave years, so he doesn't have much room for error.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 02:12:22 AM »

Scott probably wouldn't lose by double digits, since Florida races are usually at least somewhat close. Let's not forget that he won by a tiny margin in two Republican wave years, so he doesn't have much room for error.

He also has experience running competitive races, Nelson really does not.

On the other hand, I doubt 2018 will be as pro-gop was 2010 or 2014 were.

Probably Nelson by 4 to 7 at this early stage.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 02:22:06 AM »
« Edited: December 30, 2016, 02:40:28 AM by MT Treasurer »

While Nelson could win in a landslide in a D wave year, I don't think predicting that the race will be close is a bold prediction at this point. We'll see, who knows what 2018 will be like. However, I dare say that even in 2014, Democrats held states like Michigan, Virginia and New Hampshire, so it's not as if the GOP will lose every Senate race in 2018 in a landslide just because Trump is president.

Many posters here also predicted that Rubio was a paper tiger who would lose to Murphy.

I agree with this, but I don't see who would be a better Republican candidate? Maybe Carlos Curbelo, but I really doubt it. Businessmen like Johnson, Scott and Justice seem to be doing really well across the country. There could be a lot of Morgan/Scott voters (I think Ds are favored in the gubernatorial race if Morgan wins the nomination, ftr).
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2016, 02:24:51 AM »

I am not mocking you and I agree all election years have a different dynamic.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2016, 04:27:44 AM »

I think Nelson has the early edge against all GOP potentials. Even in a GOP wave, I don't see how Nelson goes down.

I think Nelson would beat Scott around the 54-46 (like Chairman said) or 55-45 range.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies