Sessions' Replacement if He Becomes AG? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:39:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Sessions' Replacement if He Becomes AG? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who?
Luther Strange

Martha Roby

Gary Palmer

Brad Byrne

Kay Ivey

Mac McCutcheon

Greg Reed

John Merrill

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Sessions' Replacement if He Becomes AG?  (Read 11097 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: November 18, 2016, 01:30:19 PM »

Byrne is my favorite of these, so I doubt he would get it.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 02:31:22 PM »

Martha Roby, Mo Brooks, and Slade Blackwell are the only Republcians who could lose this(besides Moore and maybe Bentley, but neither of them are likely to run). Blackwell is the second most conservative Republican in the Alabama state legislature, behind only Bill Holtzclaw. Ed Henry is the third most conservative and recently tried to impeach Bentley.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 05:57:26 PM »

Potential candidates:
Democrats: Jim Folsom, Jr., Artur Davis, Bobby Bright, and Richard Lindsey. Lindsey got a 61% ACU rating.
Republicans: Bradley Byrne, Mo Brooks, Martha Roby, Luther Strange, Kay Ivey, and Gary Palmer.
Independents: Randall Shedd, the most liberal Republican in the legislature and, if I understand correctly, the third most liberal member in the Alabama House.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 03:12:27 AM »

Potential candidates:
Democrats: Jim Folsom, Jr., Artur Davis, Bobby Bright, and Richard Lindsey. Lindsey got a 61% ACU rating.
Republicans: Bradley Byrne, Mo Brooks, Martha Roby, Luther Strange, Kay Ivey, and Gary Palmer.
Independents: Randall Shedd, the most liberal Republican in the legislature and, if I understand correctly, the third most liberal member in the Alabama House.

Artur Davis and Bobby Bright are both Republicans

Artur Davis reregistered as a Democrat in 2015. Bobby Bright considered running as a Republican. He never changed his registration or went through with it.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 06:37:42 PM »

Who's the most Liberal Democrat who could win in a Special Election?
The better question is, who is a Democrat that could win?
Richard Lindsey could win, but he's to the right of at least two Republican Senators.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 10:39:19 PM »

Who's the most Liberal Democrat who could win in a Special Election?
The better question is, who is a Democrat that could win?
Richard Lindsey could win, but he's to the right of at least two Republican Senators.
Which two Republican senators are Lindsey to the right of, McCain and Collins?

Murkowski and Collins. Maybe even Heller, Flake, and Portman.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 04:40:58 PM »

Yes, he is. It's odd Gov. Bentley is actually considering a loon like Moore.
Bentley's ideology is strange.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 04:18:08 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2016, 04:29:11 PM by Kingpoleon »

Could Moore actually make this seat winnable for Democrats if he doesn't lose a primary?

No Democrat is going to win a Senate race in Alabama. A Governor race maybe in the best of circumstances, but not a Senate race.
Moore could lose to Bobby Singleton or Richard Lindsey, both of whom are more conservative than at least a third of the GOP in their respective legislative branch. Singleton has a 58% and Lindsey has a 61% from the ACU.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 10:31:09 AM »

I was really hoping Strange would be more interested in Governor, he just doesn't seem like a DC type to me.  I still think Roby would be the best replacement, but I understand that Bentley won't pick her.  Byrne would be another great pick, but no way Bentley is even considering him for the spot.

Of those in the list mentioned above, I really like Arthur Orr. 
Poole is pretty moderate for Alabama, right?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 11:23:05 PM »

I don't know. But Strange is a surprise, he's pretty old, so he won't be around for too long. This, combined with Shelby all but certain to retire in 2022 will be a big blow to Alabama, which currently has lots of seniority, which they heavily rely on for federal funds.

Strange isnt surprising considering how craven Governor Bentley is about stopping the investigation into his corruption. Strange was investigating Governor Bentley, and with Strange's pick to the Senate, Bentley gets to pick a more favorable Attorney General.

Carole Smitherman, Paul DeMarco, Arthur Orr, or Phil Williams could all be appointed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies