The Stark Contrast Between the GOP's self-criticism after 2012 and Dems Today
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 10:45:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The Stark Contrast Between the GOP's self-criticism after 2012 and Dems Today
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Stark Contrast Between the GOP's self-criticism after 2012 and Dems Today  (Read 630 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2016, 10:56:27 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://theintercept.com/2016/11/18/the-stark-contrast-between-the-gops-self-criticism-in-2012-and-the-democrats-blame-everyone-else-posture-now/
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 11:02:35 AM »

seems like massive cherry-picking for me - but ofc greenwald has his own agenda to follow too.

in fact, i am pretty sure, the democrats are actually going to change their approach, while the GOP never walked their autopsy walk..and got rewarded for it plentiful.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 11:05:24 AM »

The point is, Dems are at 100+ year lows in shares of the rural vote, share of state control, etc. We've become an over-urbanized party in a country whose political system prioritizes land. It's time to make nice with the gentry
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 11:10:01 AM »

The point is, Dems are at 100+ year lows in shares of the rural vote, share of state control, etc. We've become an over-urbanized party in a country whose political system prioritizes land. It's time to make nice with the gentry

you are absolutely and totally correct and even while it needs an unbelievable rural blowout to make a difference on federal level (unlikely to happen every 2 years or even 4 years), it still is a death wish down-ticket.

i agree with your assessment, i just don't think greenwald's logic is very honest or helpful.

in fact, i guess, atm it is going to be necessary to use mister trumps pro-dem leanings in some areas to finally get shoot done for everyone and maybe even use some popular projects as a weapon against republicans.
elcorazon

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 11:22:56 AM »

the country is more and more urban. These rural voters need to make an effort to understand it isn't all about them. Most people are in or near cities.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 12:13:24 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2016, 12:19:49 PM by Virginia »

Probably one of the most annoying things for the next 2 years, besides the endless, valid reminder that my party is a "smoking pile of rubble," is the people constantly predicting a long-term demise of the Democratic Party, or how 2018 will be awful for Democrats. All this while forgetting that power can and often does wildly swing back in forth depending on who controls the White House, what they have done and how popular the incumbent is. When is the last a president will awful mid-high 30s average approval ratings didn't cost their party big downballot in a midterm? A question pointed even more so at the same time people who claimed an unpopular Pres. Hillary would cost Democrats big in her first midterm.

My point is, after 2018, I'm betting people will be singing a significantly different tune about Democrats in regards to state level/US House power. The thing about having so much power in the states, like Republicans do now (and dems did prior to Nov 2010) is that a decent-sized wave can take so much more away from you.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 01:34:35 PM »

The point is, Dems are at 100+ year lows in shares of the rural vote, share of state control, etc.

Regarding "share of state control"...how is that measured?  If you're just counting up the number of governorships and state legislators, then it might be a somewhat deceptive statistic, since the Dems are (on average) stronger in more populous states at the moment.  E.g., they have both the governorship and both houses of the legislature in California, which surely should count for more than the Republicans controlling the government of Wyoming.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 02:15:09 PM »

Greenwald himself makes the point that nothing that the RNC did actually helped with their 2016 win; the party nominated the anti-thesis of their recommendations. So his article is less about recommendations and more about gloating over the state of the Democratic Party.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies