In what Month of 2017 will republicans defund PP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:40:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  In what Month of 2017 will republicans defund PP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: This can probably be done through reconciliation, so the filibuster isn't an issue
January

February

March

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

December

2018 or Later

They won't defund it (troll option)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: In what Month of 2017 will republicans defund PP?  (Read 686 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2016, 07:00:11 PM »

I'll say March, but hoping it's even sooner than that.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 07:01:10 PM »

Hopefully January.  Im sure pro-choice trump will veto it though.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 07:37:35 PM »

Can an anti-Planned Parenthood person here tell me how stripping the organization of public funds stops abortions that are not funded by public funds?

As a followup to that, can someone tell me what is the benefit of de-funding all of the good the organization does, but leaving all the bad you think it does untouched?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 07:48:56 PM »

Can an anti-Planned Parenthood person here tell me how stripping the organization of public funds stops abortions that are not funded by public funds?

As a followup to that, can someone tell me what is the benefit of de-funding all of the good the organization does, but leaving all the bad you think it does untouched?

Even if the funds don't go directly to abortions, we're still making the taxpayer complicit in funding an organization that at least 40% of the country disagrees with the actions of. Plus I'm sure PP uses the money for abortions at times and just covers it up.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 07:52:10 PM »

this is a non-issue and the archetypical red meat witch hunt, like benghazi.

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 08:02:54 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2016, 12:38:28 AM by hermit »

The quality of women's lives is not important for the next 4 years.

Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 08:12:57 PM »

Even if the funds don't go directly to abortions, we're still making the taxpayer complicit in funding an organization that at least 40% of the country disagrees with the actions of. Plus I'm sure PP uses the money for abortions at times and just covers it up.

Settle it with a referendum, if possible. We did one and today no one even thinks abortion is an issue.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 08:14:56 PM »

The stupid thing is by reducing funds they very well could be causimg more abortions to occur. PP does a lot of things other than abortions and without avvess to those services people may opt to abort feeling they have no choice. I am not condoning PP providing abortion as I am pro life myself but I think itll do more harm than good to defund it when it comes to the cause of protecting life.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 08:15:44 PM »

It's a waste of time, but that's what Republicans do.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 08:16:29 PM »

The stupid thing is by reducing funds they very well could be causimg more abortions to occur. PP does a lot of things other than abortions and without avvess to those services people may opt to abort feeling they have no choice. I am not condoning PP providing abortion as I am pro life myself but I think itll do more harm than good to defund it when it comes to the cause of protecting life.
I am uncertain what the effect is with any personhood law or regulation on abortion is.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 08:21:15 PM »

Better stock up on coat hangers while you get the chance.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 08:38:47 PM »

Better stock up on coat hangers while you get the chance.

What about a pink mafia?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 08:43:40 PM »

Not gonna work. Only way to be sure is to get metal coat hangers.

Oh and stock up on lead for Santander's water supply.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 08:51:01 PM »

Settle it with a referendum, if possible. We did one and today no one even thinks abortion is an issue.

The constitution contains no provision for a nationwide referendum on x issue.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 08:58:31 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2016, 09:03:47 PM by ApatheticAustrian »

i am pretty sure republicans are going to overreach re: this issue.

even while a majority of voters easily rejects late-term abortions, if you are convinced (or convinced your voters) that the other side is worse than hitler, than you absolutely won't stop at this point.

practically, as the SC realized afaik, the special rules which have been pushed onto abortion providers in some red states come close to make abortions impossible in those states at all and i am pretty sure, years of unchecked republican supreme rule and re-making of the SC will finish that "thought".

imho, outlawing abortion in all cases is going to create a massive backlash in most states (won't talk about the mountain regions) and make women interested into the political process who usually don't vote.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 09:07:51 PM »

Let me try the money is fungible argument.

I'm too lazy to find Planned Parenthood's budget so let's just hypothetically assume that they have a budget of $1,000. They spend $300 on overhead costs, $200 on abortion and the rest of the $500 on other services.

If you were to donate $100 to Planned Parenthood on the condition that it could not be used for abortions, than the $100 would go to overhead costs, and this frees up $100 of their own money to be transferred to abortions, doubling the abortion funding.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 09:17:57 PM »

The constitution contains no provision for a nationwide referendum on x issue.

Ahh!.. Didn't knew that. Thanks for info. Smiley

I don't think is wise to create more fuss about an issue that was decided in the 70's. Like Mercenary said, PP does also a lot more than abortions and it's defunding will create more problems than solutions. And for the information i've read, every time a Rep governor tries to defund it, the courts decide in favour of PP.
With the country so divided, with an election so, so close, why would the Republican Party open a Pandora box on this issue? It doesn't make any sense.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 09:21:53 PM »

Wishful thinking.  It will eventually happen but in the far future.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2016, 09:30:53 PM »

Let me try the money is fungible argument.

I'm too lazy to find Planned Parenthood's budget so let's just hypothetically assume that they have a budget of $1,000. They spend $300 on overhead costs, $200 on abortion and the rest of the $500 on other services.

If you were to donate $100 to Planned Parenthood on the condition that it could not be used for abortions, than the $100 would go to overhead costs, and this frees up $100 of their own money to be transferred to abortions, doubling the abortion funding.

That's understandable, but why not make a provision that would prevent this loophole rather than taking away crucial healthcare services that reduce abortion rates as well?
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 09:49:21 PM »

Whether you're pro-life or not, I'm sure you will agree with me that the extent to which this sad issue has been politicized is disgusting.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 10:16:52 PM »

Didn't He defend PP in the GOP debates?
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2016, 10:18:51 PM »

I think they will pass the same bill that defunds PP and Obamacare in February that Obama vetoed last winter.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies