HB 2016-1057 - The Criminal Justice Act of 2016 (GOES TO SENATE)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:13:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 2016-1057 - The Criminal Justice Act of 2016 (GOES TO SENATE)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HB 2016-1057 - The Criminal Justice Act of 2016 (GOES TO SENATE)  (Read 2149 times)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2016, 08:41:22 PM »
« edited: January 01, 2017, 07:33:40 PM by Speaker NeverAgain »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 08:42:20 PM »

continued from previous post

Sponsor(s)SadNeverAgain (President Truman
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 09:57:10 PM »

Looks alright to me, anyone seeing something I'm not?
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 05:46:43 PM »

Could we get an explanation on the basic idea behind this bill?  Since this is more of a bill legislating on actual Atlasia players instead of imaginary constituents, it seems a bit... heavy handed to put it mildly.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 08:08:28 PM »

My thanks to the Speaker for bringing this to the floor.

This bill is an updated version of the Criminal Justice Reform Act in place before the adoption of the Fourth Constitution. With the exception of a few references to the now-defunct Third Constitution, it has not been amended in any significant way, because I think that's something that ought to be done by the people's representatives in the public eye. I fully expect there to be a hearty debate and many amendments before this goes to the Senate, and that is how it should be.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 08:10:17 PM »

Could we get an explanation on the basic idea behind this bill?  Since this is more of a bill legislating on actual Atlasia players instead of imaginary constituents, it seems a bit... heavy handed to put it mildly.

Because we can only make laws limiting the peasants.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 03:03:52 AM »

I'm not sure what that means.  I just meant that I think it's important to remember that we're all fellow forumites and that it's a game.  I don't really like the idea of labeling other Atlasians as "terrorists" or "traitors" like the language of this bill uses.  I did take a closer read through just now though, and I guess most of the things in the bill are things we really don't want people doing.  I'm not sure if anyone has ever done some of this stuff.  Maybe I'm just naive, but anyway, I guess it's still good to have the laws on the books.

I still hope that in most cases people can work things out among themselves and not need to banish someone for 2 years or whatever.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 09:28:46 AM »

I'm not sure what that means.  I just meant that I think it's important to remember that we're all fellow forumites and that it's a game.  I don't really like the idea of labeling other Atlasians as "terrorists" or "traitors" like the language of this bill uses.  I did take a closer read through just now though, and I guess most of the things in the bill are things we really don't want people doing.  I'm not sure if anyone has ever done some of this stuff.  Maybe I'm just naive, but anyway, I guess it's still good to have the laws on the books.

I still hope that in most cases people can work things out among themselves and not need to banish someone for 2 years or whatever.

I was making a joke because your post made it seem like you only wanted to pass laws that apply to the imaginary players.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 02:49:24 PM »

I'm not sure if anyone has ever done some of this stuff.
Unfortunately, yes, most of the crimes named in Section 2 have been committed at one point or another. In the past two years alone, clauses (a), (b), (c), (e), (f), (h), (j), (k), (l), and (n) have all been at the root of major public controversies. Notable examples include Sir Nick deleting dozens of threads from the Northeast Assembly and vandalizing the wiki to get back at Sawx, JoMCaR creating something like six sock accounts and registering all of them in Atlasia, and a Justice Department witch hunt against Yankee and Classic Conservative aimed at silencing two of the most outspoken advocates for Constitutional reform. JoMCaR was convicted of (c) and sentenced to a six month ban from the game; Al and Sir Nick deregistered to escape prosecution for (n) and (h), respectively.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 11:23:27 PM »

Okay folks. This looks good to me. 24 hours more for final statements, then let's vote!
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 04:57:06 AM »

I'd like to hear/see/understand a bit more about this aspect of the bill- out of all the offences it's the most likely to happen, and I think one of the most important.

Would it be worth having it's own section, or even its own bill in order to clear it up?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 12:24:53 PM »

Undue pressure should be defined clearly otherwise this is an invitation for frivolous lawsuits over mere GOTV operations.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 12:50:19 PM »

Undue pressure should be defined clearly otherwise this is an invitation for frivolous lawsuits over mere GOTV operations.
A very good point. I'd prefer that phrase to be struck altogether and replaced with a specific set of offenses (for instance, blackmail and threats of retribution).
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 12:39:47 PM »

A very good point. I'd prefer that phrase to be struck altogether and replaced with a specific set of offenses (for instance, blackmail and threats of retribution).

Yes, exactly.

The biggest problem in this past cycle was generated by lack of clear definition of legal terms. We shouldn't expand that problem, but do everything possible to eliminate it. In doing so we will avoid people falling through the cracks or alternatively, people getting unfairly impacted (depending on your perspective), going forward.

Plus one has to draw from experiences. In he past I have had people flip out over simple GOTV PMs, and therefore such a vague text is an open invitation for such to lead to drawn out court cases and the like.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 05:22:39 PM »

I share the concerns of Yankee and Truman, and will introduce an amendment to resolve the issue later today, but everything else seems pretty good.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 06:15:31 PM »

I share the concerns of Yankee and Truman, and will introduce an amendment to resolve the issue later today, but everything else seems pretty good.

I will wait another 24 hours for your amendment, before introducing my own auto-friendly one Wink.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 07:53:44 PM »

I will wait another 24 hours for your amendment, before introducing my own auto-friendly one Wink.

Fack, forgot about this
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 07:59:38 PM »

I propose the following amendment:

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 08:03:12 PM »

Completely Friendly, and very much needed.

24 hours for debate, before final vote!
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 08:06:32 AM »

Peebs introduced this as an amendment to the Federal Election Bill but I'd like to propose this amendment to the bill, and get someone to suspend the rules so that we can move onto a final vote

President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2016, 08:27:48 AM »

Peebs introduced this as an amendment to the Federal Election Bill but I'd like to propose this amendment to the bill, and get someone to suspend the rules so that we can move onto a final vote

I will sponsor this, if necessary.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2016, 06:40:10 PM »

I support the amendment offered by Representative Bessell. Likewise, I agree that the Blair-Peebs amendment is a necessary addition to our voter registration laws, though it's not clear to me where this fits into the rest of the bill.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2016, 11:52:04 PM »

Bump.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2016, 03:49:20 PM »

I will open this up for a final 48-hour vote.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2016, 04:21:44 PM »

AYE
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: