Were communist rebels in WWII freedom fighters?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:09:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Were communist rebels in WWII freedom fighters?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: munist rebels in WWII freedom fighters?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Were communist rebels in WWII freedom fighters?  (Read 2955 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2005, 12:35:41 PM »

Stupid right wingers say communist rebels are never freedom fighters. But what about the communist partisans in Yugoslavia and the communist resistance fighters to Mussolini's regime in Italy? I say they were definately freedom fighters.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 12:59:07 PM »

You have a one track mind.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 01:33:42 PM »

No. Seeing the Yugoslav Reds were just as bad as Il Duce anyway. Didn't we have to send aide via the Marshall Plan to stop them?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 01:46:54 PM »

Fighting to replace one form of tyranny with another isn't quite freedom fighting.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 07:33:43 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2005, 07:48:06 PM by dazzleman »

Fighting to replace one form of tyranny with another isn't quite freedom fighting.

^^^^^

I'd be willing to say some of them thought they were freedom fighters, but in reality they fought to replace one awful government with another.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 09:58:38 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2005, 10:00:12 PM by Frente Farabundo Martí para la Liberación Nacional »

Tito never set up death camps for Jews or Serbs like Hitler or the Ustase.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 10:04:54 PM »

"Evil thinks not to beguile us by unveiling the terrible truth of its festering intent, but comes, instead, disguised in the diaphanous robes of virtue, whispering sweet sounding lies intended to seduce us into the dark bed of our eternal graves." ~ Terry Goodkind
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 09:00:07 AM »

I voted yes. It depends on your definition, but a Communist movement can certainly create a freer state and in its characteristics be anti-oppression.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 09:07:22 AM »

I voted yes. It depends on your definition, but a Communist movement can certainly create a freer state and in its characteristics be anti-oppression.

No communist state is a free state.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 10:11:18 AM »

No.  Just like Stalin, they were simply fighting for a different kind of dictatorship.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2005, 11:03:44 AM »

No.  Just like Stalin, they were simply fighting for a different kind of dictatorship.

Tito's Yugoslavia was nothing like Stalin's Soviet Union.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2005, 12:30:04 PM »

Tito's Yugoslavia was nothing like Stalin's Soviet Union.

It was still a pretty grim place
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2005, 12:45:48 PM »

Well Yugoslavia was always a mess and probably should've never existed as a nation anyway. Prior to WWII it was a pretty nasty royalist dictatorship and during WWII a bunch of Croation nationalists sided with the Nazis and set up a puppet state that committed atrocities that put the Nazis to shame. The communists were by far the best choice in that area.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2005, 01:32:48 PM »

"Evil thinks not to beguile us by unveiling the terrible truth of its festering intent, but comes, instead, disguised in the diaphanous robes of virtue, whispering sweet sounding lies intended to seduce us into the dark bed of our eternal graves." ~ Terry Goodkind

Does Terry Goodkind turn you into a libertarian?  I bought Wizard's First Rule (I'll read it when I'm done readin gmy current series), and I don't want to be corrupted O_O
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2005, 01:45:04 PM »

Does Terry Goodkind turn you into a libertarian?  I bought Wizard's First Rule (I'll read it when I'm done readin gmy current series), and I don't want to be corrupted O_O

No, and actually he doesn't get very preachy until the sixth book anyways. Still, you should read them so you might better understand an opposing viewpoint.

And the quote is true about more than just communism anyways - plenty of evil comes claiming that it is good. For instance, Islamic terrorists claim they are fighting a war in the name of god, but it does not make the true nature of their fight any different, it merely puts a face on it that some people will like.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2005, 10:42:56 PM »

Well John who was the best choice in Yugoslavia during WWII?

There were 3 factions:

Ustase: Croation nationalists. Sided with the Nazis and ran a Nazi puppet state, and planned on killing or forcibly removing any non-Croat from that state.

Chetniks: Serb nationalists and supporters of the Serb dominated royalty. Initially opposed the Nazis because of the connections to Ustase, but later eventually made a cease-fire, basically didn't care which side won and just wanted to return to a monarchist Serb-dominated Yugoslavia.

People's Liberation Army and Partisan Detachments of Yugoslavia: The communists. Tito's forces. Staunchly opposed to the Nazis and all forms of Fascism. Led by the Anti-Fascist Council of National Liberation of Yugoslavia. You'd be hard pressed to find a more staunchly anti-fascist historical figure than Tito. Later broke with Stalin and rest of the Eastern Bloc.

Who's the best?
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2005, 10:45:08 PM »

Nominally the Chetniks, although none sound especially desirable. Me, if I were anywhere near Yugoslavia in 1942, i'd make a break for Turkey - as fast as possible!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2005, 10:56:45 PM »

Nominally the Chetniks, although none sound especially desirable. Me, if I were anywhere near Yugoslavia in 1942, i'd make a break for Turkey - as fast as possible!

Turkey had a semi-fascist government that sympathized with the Axis. If you wanted to get away from the commies, your best bet would've probably been to go to Italy and join the guerilla resistance against Mussolini.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2005, 11:08:59 PM »

The best thing would be to give each group its own state. History shows us the countries formed arbitrarily like Yugoslavia was never turn out too well when there are diverse ethnic peoples living there.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2005, 11:13:48 PM »

The best thing would be to give each group its own state. History shows us the countries formed arbitrarily like Yugoslavia was never turn out too well when there are diverse ethnic peoples living there.

Yes, Yugoslavia probalby should've never existed and splitting it up would've been the best hypothetical option and later turned out to be inevitable. However at the time I would've not supported an independent Croatia as long as the Ustase were around. Near the end of the war in Europe FDR said that an independent Croatia should never exist. He probably wouldn't have though so 50 years later, but it's not hard to see why he would at the time.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2005, 06:00:51 AM »

No communist state is a free state.

I didn't say that. I said freer state. Tito's Yugoslavia, for instance, was a hell of a lot better place than say Nazi-Germany. Also, there's a difference between a state or a movement calling itself Communist and being it.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2005, 06:03:32 AM »

I liked the Chetniks though. The problem was that they joined, not the Nazis, but the Italians. It's an interesting note on the importance of ethnicity. Italians hate Croatians and Italy didn't like the fact that they were supporting them against the Serbs. Towards the end of the war Western support for the Chetniks was pulled due to their cooperation with Mussolini. That's largely the reason for Yugoslavia becoming Communist.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2005, 07:27:12 AM »

Well John who was the best choice in Yugoslavia during WWII?

There were 3 factions:

Ustase: Croation nationalists. Sided with the Nazis and ran a Nazi puppet state, and planned on killing or forcibly removing any non-Croat from that state.

Chetniks: Serb nationalists and supporters of the Serb dominated royalty. Initially opposed the Nazis because of the connections to Ustase, but later eventually made a cease-fire, basically didn't care which side won and just wanted to return to a monarchist Serb-dominated Yugoslavia.

People's Liberation Army and Partisan Detachments of Yugoslavia: The communists. Tito's forces. Staunchly opposed to the Nazis and all forms of Fascism. Led by the Anti-Fascist Council of National Liberation of Yugoslavia. You'd be hard pressed to find a more staunchly anti-fascist historical figure than Tito. Later broke with Stalin and rest of the Eastern Bloc.

Who's the best?

Well, first off you have clearly put in a lot of bias in your descriptions, especially trying to show off the last in a positive light. Second, they all sucked, but I'd probably say the Chetniks were the 'best' out of three horrible options. Communism and facism are both tyrannical forms of government by their very natures, so just because people who supported one opposed the other doesn't mean that one of them is good - they are both evil. Need I remind you that many Nazis opposed communism, and many attrocities were commited under communism too.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2005, 11:27:10 AM »

But Titoism is far different from Stalinism. Stalin had many of his officers executed he suspected of being Titoists. Tito broke with Stalin in 1948 and then started a movement of countries that would support neither the Soviet Union or the West/NATO. He was hardly your typical communist.

It's an interesting note on the importance of ethnicity. Italians hate Croatians and Italy didn't like the fact that they were supporting them against the Serbs.

Well technically the Nazis should've hated Croats too, since they were Slavs, which they considered all inferior, but to allow the Croats to side with them both sides fudged ethnic history and claimed that Croats were not really Slavs but rather the descendents of an ancient race of people who lived in the mountains before the Slavs came. No real evidence for this, but they didn't care. The Nazis weren't very consistent in their ethnic and genetic theories, the Roma (gypsies) were just as purely Aryan as they were.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2005, 11:29:38 AM »

But Titoism is far different from Stalinism. Stalin had many of his officers executed he suspected of being Titoists. Tito broke with Stalin in 1948 and then started a movement of countries that would support neither the Soviet Union or the West/NATO. He was hardly your typical communist.

Does it matter? Sure, there are degrees in communism - Cuba isn't as bad as North Korea, for instance - as with any other tyrannical philosophy, but communism as a form of government is always tyranny.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies