Would you support a Calexit?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:43:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would you support a Calexit?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 81

Author Topic: Would you support a Calexit?  (Read 1892 times)
Enduro
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2016, 08:37:53 PM »

No, and if they try, President Pence should use force to keep them in.

Because forcing people to do things against their will is an ethically right decision.

Quite often, yes. Individuals often will all sorts of terrible things.

Leaving a nation is not one of those terrible things, especially if they feel that nation turned its back on them.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2016, 08:47:13 PM »

No!

Cal-Exit ("Calexit" doesn't work like Brexit did) would turn this 279-259 D win into a R win. If you're reading this as a Republican than FL soon turns gray as more returns come in and the Democrats win by 5 votes because FL ruins everything. If you're not than it doesn't.

244 R - 239 D, with the Republican winning the popular vote by at least 2%.

All the Republicans have to do is win OH+NC+FL or PA; or OH+FL+IA, NV, CO, PA, NC, WI, MN, NH, or MI; or OH+PA+NC, MI, or FL.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2016, 10:07:18 PM »

Can all of the Clinton states secede? I'd love nothing more than to see the Trump states rejoice about being free from the "libtard urban elite white hate group", only to watch their new country rapidly become a third world dictatorship.
... The only Trump state not connected to the rest of the states is Alaska. Clinton states would be in four sections: CA+OR+WA+HI, MN, IL, and then New England+NY+NJ+MD+DC+DE+VA. I can only imagine how terribly MN and IL would function.

You forgot Poland Colorado and New Mexico.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2016, 11:24:23 PM »

no because it wouldn't help the USA or California
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2016, 11:29:37 PM »

We can't afford to lose California now.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2016, 03:46:23 AM »

Can all of the Clinton states secede? I'd love nothing more than to see the Trump states rejoice about being free from the "libtard urban elite white hate group", only to watch their new country rapidly become a third world dictatorship.

I don't want to share a country with annoying whiny West Coast losers.

Plus California as a country alone would be pretty thirsty really fast.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2016, 10:41:48 AM »

I know I said I would fight for this country, but if it was the ballot, I would vote for California independence (I reject the term secession on account of its negative connotations). My mom has nowhere near my level of political awareness, but she would vote in the affirmative as well if it came to be. If this was on the ballot in 2018 under a massively unpopular President Trump, don't underestimate what could happen. After all, who could have predicted a President Trump two years ago.

In the words of the Declaration of Independence itself:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm wondering how many "No" votes are from non-California Hillary states. What if it were a full West Coast independence effort along with parts of the Northeast?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2016, 12:35:00 PM »

Sell SoCal, Arizona, and New Mexico back to Mexico. They use up too much of our water and fail to contribute to our intellectual life. Texas can be allowed to go its "own way" provided that such is to act as an American-friendly petro-state that votes with as at the U.N. (thinking of Iran before 1979). Poppy can serve as a sickly, Shah-like figure facing off against radical anti-Western rebels such as Ayatollah Cruzmeini.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2016, 12:56:05 PM »

I don't want to share a country with annoying whiny West Coast losers.

Plus California as a country alone would be pretty thirsty really fast.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2016, 07:03:32 PM »

Nope, no interest in being forced to get a passport just to visit my folks from wherever Grad School is.

It's needed to start the New New Deal in 2020 anyway and dump Carter 2.0 anyway.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2016, 07:11:05 PM »

No, progressive-minded Americans can't afford to lose 55 reliable electoral votes. 
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2016, 10:18:24 PM »

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2016, 10:54:56 PM »

No, but the South winning the Civil War probably would have been better for everybody long-term.

Obviously I'm not talking about slavery, so don't even go there.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2016, 04:33:43 PM »

Henry Clay was right.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2016, 04:46:06 PM »

No, but the South winning the Civil War probably would have been better for everybody long-term.

True, except for all of the black people who would have continued to be enslaved, raped, murdered, and tortured in the southern states.

That would have all been worth it for the formation of Southern Canada, a social democratic utopia free of dumb rednecks who would later be cynically co-opted by right-wingers.  (/s)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2016, 05:36:55 PM »

You guys call yourselves "elite" - pretending to be conservatives - far more than any conservative calls you "elite," LOL.  It's kind of hilarious.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2016, 10:05:22 PM »

True, except for all of the black people who would have continued to be enslaved, raped, murdered, and tortured in the southern states.

That would have all been worth it for the formation of Southern Canada, a social democratic utopia free of dumb rednecks who would later be cynically co-opted by right-wingers.  (/s)

Rednecks don't just live in the south. See: Bakersfield, California.;Alaska.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2016, 11:46:18 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2016, 12:02:20 AM by Senator Scott »

Slavery wasn't an institution built to last and the Union probably would've figured out a way to bully the South into ending slavery if not make it easier for slaves and free blacks to move north, but I won't dive into hypotheticals.  I think that the United States is so far divided culturally and politically (probably more now than at any point in history) that a split along some lines would be the best feasible solution (though I'm not sure what said divide would/should look like).

It's not practical to have two polar opposite ideologies swap power every two years and force half the country to bend to their will.  Plus, the United States has been on decline since the 1970s and not everybody wants to be on that sinking ship.  We may as well give people who want change the opportunity to make that change while the country at large is still more or less stable.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies