Pence getting ready for a run in 2020?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:31:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Pence getting ready for a run in 2020?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pence getting ready for a run in 2020?  (Read 1240 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2017, 04:57:48 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2017/07/10/is-mike-pence-betting-it-will-all-come-crashing-down-on-trump/?hpid=hp_no-name_opinion-card-e%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.e03b8c036d0d

First there was buzz about Pence forming his own PAC, the "Great America Committee", officially to support congressional candidates in 2018. Now he also seems to spend an awful lot of time with Republican donors.

Speculation has started that this may be a contigency plan in case Trump either doesn't run in 2020, or resigns prior to the next presidential election.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 05:04:31 PM »

Well, there was 1800, but it probably hasn't happened since the 12th amendment.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 05:33:19 PM »

Let's look at Trump right now:

1. Oldest President ever elected.
2. Doesn't exercise (according to his own words).
3. Overweight and eats fast food
4. No interest in working with the political establishment
5. Crappy approval rating given that the economy is in recovery.
6. The GOP need to expand their coalition to win in 2020 (46% of the electorate, 2.8 million PV loss, and maxing out rural areas isn't enough to be comfortable with in 2020's landscape).

You can see why Pence has a great shot at being the nominee in 2020.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 05:57:56 PM »

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there was a deal between Trump, Pence, Ryan, Priebus and possibly others.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 03:26:13 AM »

BTW, 1940 is the last time a sitting VP ran against a President, but obviously it wasn't a first term situation.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 12:07:28 PM »

Nah, it won't happen unless he becomes prez before. I also see no way how he could beat Trump in a primary. Even some lukewarm Trump supports could see such a challenge as an act of disloyalty.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 12:42:14 PM »

Nah, it won't happen unless he becomes prez before. I also see no way how he could beat Trump in a primary. Even some lukewarm Trump supports could see such a challenge as an act of disloyalty.

He's not going to run a primary campaign against Trump, but Trump presumably has a non-negligible chance of not running again, so I guess Pence is preparing for that contingency.  He's already distancing himself from the Don Jr. meeting, and noting that it happened before he joined the campaign:

https://twitter.com/kasie/status/884815201433944065

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 01:05:30 PM »

He's not going to run a primary campaign against Trump, but Trump presumably has a non-negligible chance of not running again, so I guess Pence is preparing for that contingency.  He's already distancing himself from the Don Jr. meeting, and noting that it happened before he joined the campaign:

Morden nailed it. Pence is keeping his options open. If nothing comes of this? He runs with Trump again. If Trump goes down, it's better for him to be ready than unprepared.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 01:14:53 PM »

I think they meant that he would run if Trump is impeached before 2020, which I think has become more likely due to Trump Jr.'s connections with Russia with whom he accepted help from the Kremlin.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 01:20:32 PM »

I think you guys are overthinking it a tad bit. Look at where Trump's likely health and political status will be by 2020 and tell me if it's more likely than not that he doesn't seek a second term. I wouldn't even be surprised if he steps down before then. He has openly said that he "loved his previous life".
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 02:33:43 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2017, 02:45:20 PM by Shadows »

I think you guys are overthinking it a tad bit. Look at where Trump's likely health and political status will be by 2020 and tell me if it's more likely than not that he doesn't seek a second term. I wouldn't even be surprised if he steps down before then. He has openly said that he "loved his previous life".

Whether he likes or not doesn't like, nothing comes close to being the leader of the free world, having companies come to you with folded hands, sitting with 1000's of nukes & having all world leaders rush to you, flatter & kiss your as*, the whole bureaucracy, endless money (through deficits or whatever), having such resources, flattery from people, the lives of everyone dependent on you & 1 button/change of mind, living in the same place where FDR & Lincoln & all the legends lived. He is the most important person in the world.

There is no way he is giving up that. Someone who is egomaniac enough to ask all his staff/cabinet to kiss his a** openly in a meeting will NEVER give up that.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 02:55:38 PM »

Morden nailed it. Pence is keeping his options open. If nothing comes of this? He runs with Trump again. If Trump goes down, it's better for him to be ready than unprepared.

Well, Pence may keep his options open, but if Trump isn't impeached before the end of his current term, I see no way that he forgoes a second run for office. We're talking about Donald Trump. The only reason not to run again I see, is if his health deteriorates. I never understood why the 2020 Wikipedia article listed Pence as potential candidate.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 08:29:25 PM »

Pence is too short to be president...after awhile the shoe lifts become pretty obvious

Not a problem.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies