Check your privilege
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:44:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Check your privilege
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Check your privilege  (Read 2237 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2016, 06:11:35 PM »

This quiz is evil.

-I am white. Yes, there are some baseline privileges.
-I've never been told "I'm attractive for my race" but are the editors at Buzzfeed somehow insinuating that it is bad for me to think, say, my friend Nica is attractive when I'm frankly not otherwise attracted to black girls 99.9% of the time? It's a horrible thing to say, certainly, but is it so bad to think?
-Never been the victim of violence, but about two years ago, my friend Mike (who is black) and I were almost assaulted by a mentally disturbed older black man who called him a "house negro" and threatened to "throw the cracker boy into the bricks."
-I've never been told "I sound white." What is wrong with anyone "sounding white" or sounding like anything/anyone?
-Nobody has ever touched my hair, but that probably has as much to do with dandruff as it does with the absence of a "white people hair" stereotype.
-I am heterosexual.
-I have never lied about my sexuality, nor would I have to. My parents don't care. In fact, there was a time a few years ago that frankly upset me because they started to question my sexuality in a very condescending, "we'll love you anyway" kinda way because I haven't been in a long term relationship nor do my parents know any of my friends, even my best friend who I consider my brother, very well at all. If I was gay, I'd be out about it. I don't repress things because others want me too, I repress because I want to. If I were gay, I'm pretty confident that I'd have been open about it even in my Christian high school.
-Never had to come out about anything aside from being a Trump supporter to my bosses this year.
-Never doubted my parental acceptance though I don't like their assumptions and constant pushing for greater socialization.
-Never been called a "fag" (in a serious way) or a "dyke" or face any type of anti-gay bigotry.
-I'm a man, physically and in perception. I identify as a man.
-Never felt unsafe because of my gender, nor have I been abused or assaulted. I was cat-called by a group of drunk sorority girls last Saturday who yelled "Hey Daddy" or something like that as they drove past. I was frankly too inebriated myself to care or notice, so perhaps I knew someone in the car. Didn't bother me any.
-I come from a comfortably middle class background. Never below the poverty line, though our economic comfort over the years has fluctuated from time to time.
-I don't have any student loans. I go to TCC, it really isn't too expensive compared to FSU (where I might have needed a loan).
-I never go to bed hungry. At least not because I don't have a choice. I usually eat only one meal a day to economize, and I don't have a big appetite either way.
-Never been homeless, though my brother has been. My parents pay my tuition (which is inexpensive) and my rent, I pay for my electric and everything else.
-Don't rely on public transportation. I walk everywhere, and I have a car which I use only to get to TCC and back. I don't think I've filled my car up in over a month and it's still only half-empty.
-I've never done my own taxes.....and I've had two or three jobs over the years. Heh. Probably gonna get a letter sooner or later.
-I've never worried about rent and I've never felt poor.
-I've had unpaid internships. I don't see this as a privilege.
-I went to a small private school that is hardly "elite" in any way. It was a standard Christian school that wasn't too far off the reservation with the religious dogma and I received a relatively inexpensive, decent education by the standards of the other South Florida private schools or the local public schools (which as my middle brother proved, literally are factories of despair). 
-Graduated high school and I inherited my grandmother's car when she died in Junior year.
-We've always had cable, but we didn't get internet at our house until I was like twelve.
-My parents are both heterosexual and still married. That seems like something that should drag down my privilege. Gay couples tend to be better couples and have stronger marriages, ironically.
-Both parents are still alive.
-I have no disabilities, though my youngest brother is severely autistic and will never be able to function independently without help.
-I have a long history with depression and all that. Already been aired out here. My only privilege here is that I have always had access to medication, but the medication is basically poison anyway and I've been off it for a year.
-I've been hearing "you're too skinny" all my life. Doesn't bother me at all. I don't exercise or make any effort to maintain my weight, which has consistently hovered between 120-135 pounds for years. I don't care. I just downright don't care about it.
-I've been shamed for my religious beliefs, but never harassed or threatened for them.
-Never lied about my ethnicity or religion.
-My jobs never have to accommodate my religious beliefs because if they somehow interfered with them, I wouldn't work there. I would never expect that from them.
-Was bullied all my life, but not for any specific reason that I can discern.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I don't have to "help" anyone with anything when it comes to their privileges. Eff you, Buzzfeed. Thanks for electing President Trump. 65/100/
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2016, 07:09:22 PM »

You have issues, cowboy, but you'll get through this.  Just calm down.  It's the internet, okay?  Everyone's an editor here.  Everyone's an expert.  Everyone is correct.  This is just a little set of arbitrary questions that some random person created and that you can choose to answer, and it has an algorithm that counts the number of yes answers to those arbitrary questions, and based upon that count it spits out a sentence for you.  It's not specific to you.  Many of us got the same answer.  It's humor.  No one expects you to read too much into it.  No one's going to bust into your house and take you to jail or anything like that.  Just take a deep breath.  Don't strap a plastic explosive device to your chest and board a plane or do any other things you'll regret later.  When we visit websites we sometimes see things that make us unhappy, or angry, but that's okay.  We don't all have the same sense of humor.  We just need to take a deep breath and relax.  It's just words.  Find your special place.  Go there.  It's all going to be okay. 

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2016, 09:05:12 PM »

53/100, though most of the questions don't really grasp how privileged I am, mainly in regards of economics.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2016, 10:37:33 PM »

13/100.
Underprivileged.

"The world is not a fair or ideal place and you know that because you grew up with several identities that the world is not kind to. You had a lot of challenges to overcome simply to get on a level playing field with most people in the world."
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2016, 11:39:33 PM »

52/100

My result sounds reasonable. There are obvious areas where I'm privileged (white, heterosexual, male, cisgender), but a few where I'm not (grew up in poverty, Atheist beliefs). I know that inequality and oppression are best understood through intersectionality and always try my best to understand the views of others (and how limited my understanding really is). Checking ones privilege is essentially accepting that the world doesn't rotate around you and there are experiences and feelings of others, due to their background, that you could never understand. Out of respect, we owe it to the underprivileged to listen to them, not just judge them or imagine we know better.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2016, 03:04:24 AM »

wait are people actually taking this quiz seriously
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2016, 09:13:26 AM »

65.  You horribles may worship me.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2016, 09:13:50 AM »

If they do, they should lose 20 points.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2016, 10:54:06 AM »

You live with 16 out of 100 points of privilege.
You’re underprivileged. The world is not a fair or ideal place and you know that because you grew up with several identities that the world is not kind to. You had a lot of challenges to overcome simply to get on a level playing field with most people in the world. It is not your job to educate the world about its injustices, but if you choose to, go ahead and send them this quiz. Hopefully it will help.

I am pretty much jealous  and often resent of success of other people, but on the other hand I started out way disadvantaged.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2016, 11:47:52 AM »

Nah!
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2016, 12:23:56 PM »

You live with 42 out of 100 points of privilege.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2016, 03:12:58 PM »

40/100

You live with 40 out of 100 points of privilege.

You’re not privileged at all. You grew up with an intersectional, complicated identity, and life never let you forget it. You’ve had your fair share of struggles, and you’ve worked hard to overcome them. We do not live in an ideal world and you had to learn that the hard way. It is not your responsibility to educate those with more advantages than you, but if you decide you want to, go ahead and send them this quiz. Hopefully it will help.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2016, 04:36:45 PM »

41/100. It's funny when it gets to the socioeconomic privilege items and I would have as many as 10 unchecked items in a row.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2016, 07:22:11 PM »

All hail Malcolm X.

We are not worthy to receive you.

Probably not, but I shall grace you with my presence anyway Tongue
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2016, 08:26:17 PM »

yeah jesus christ this was posted as a joke mostly
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2016, 10:41:22 PM »

I did this pretending to be a rural Ethiopian farmer and got a higher privilege score than my real one.
Unless you're a woman or Oromo, you're actually doing pretty well in Ethiopian society.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2016, 11:01:29 PM »

If they do, they should lose 20 points.
I didn't, but I found the attitude behind it (like most of Buzzfeed and their readers) to be disgusting and vile.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2016, 01:02:10 AM »

Some of the questions are worded weird. I've had my hair touched without my permission before, especially when I was a kid. A group of East Asian women touched my voluptuous hair when I visited the California state capitol at the age of 12.

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2016, 01:03:14 AM »

This quiz is evil.

-I am white. Yes, there are some baseline privileges.
-I've never been told "I'm attractive for my race" but are the editors at Buzzfeed somehow insinuating that it is bad for me to think, say, my friend Nica is attractive when I'm frankly not otherwise attracted to black girls 99.9% of the time? It's a horrible thing to say, certainly, but is it so bad to think?
-Never been the victim of violence, but about two years ago, my friend Mike (who is black) and I were almost assaulted by a mentally disturbed older black man who called him a "house negro" and threatened to "throw the cracker boy into the bricks."
-I've never been told "I sound white." What is wrong with anyone "sounding white" or sounding like anything/anyone?
-Nobody has ever touched my hair, but that probably has as much to do with dandruff as it does with the absence of a "white people hair" stereotype.
-I am heterosexual.
-I have never lied about my sexuality, nor would I have to. My parents don't care. In fact, there was a time a few years ago that frankly upset me because they started to question my sexuality in a very condescending, "we'll love you anyway" kinda way because I haven't been in a long term relationship nor do my parents know any of my friends, even my best friend who I consider my brother, very well at all. If I was gay, I'd be out about it. I don't repress things because others want me too, I repress because I want to. If I were gay, I'm pretty confident that I'd have been open about it even in my Christian high school.
-Never had to come out about anything aside from being a Trump supporter to my bosses this year.
-Never doubted my parental acceptance though I don't like their assumptions and constant pushing for greater socialization.
-Never been called a "fag" (in a serious way) or a "dyke" or face any type of anti-gay bigotry.
-I'm a man, physically and in perception. I identify as a man.
-Never felt unsafe because of my gender, nor have I been abused or assaulted. I was cat-called by a group of drunk sorority girls last Saturday who yelled "Hey Daddy" or something like that as they drove past. I was frankly too inebriated myself to care or notice, so perhaps I knew someone in the car. Didn't bother me any.
-I come from a comfortably middle class background. Never below the poverty line, though our economic comfort over the years has fluctuated from time to time.
-I don't have any student loans. I go to TCC, it really isn't too expensive compared to FSU (where I might have needed a loan).
-I never go to bed hungry. At least not because I don't have a choice. I usually eat only one meal a day to economize, and I don't have a big appetite either way.
-Never been homeless, though my brother has been. My parents pay my tuition (which is inexpensive) and my rent, I pay for my electric and everything else.
-Don't rely on public transportation. I walk everywhere, and I have a car which I use only to get to TCC and back. I don't think I've filled my car up in over a month and it's still only half-empty.
-I've never done my own taxes.....and I've had two or three jobs over the years. Heh. Probably gonna get a letter sooner or later.
-I've never worried about rent and I've never felt poor.
-I've had unpaid internships. I don't see this as a privilege.
-I went to a small private school that is hardly "elite" in any way. It was a standard Christian school that wasn't too far off the reservation with the religious dogma and I received a relatively inexpensive, decent education by the standards of the other South Florida private schools or the local public schools (which as my middle brother proved, literally are factories of despair).  
-Graduated high school and I inherited my grandmother's car when she died in Junior year.
-We've always had cable, but we didn't get internet at our house until I was like twelve.
-My parents are both heterosexual and still married. That seems like something that should drag down my privilege. Gay couples tend to be better couples and have stronger marriages, ironically.
-Both parents are still alive.
-I have no disabilities, though my youngest brother is severely autistic and will never be able to function independently without help.
-I have a long history with depression and all that. Already been aired out here. My only privilege here is that I have always had access to medication, but the medication is basically poison anyway and I've been off it for a year.
-I've been hearing "you're too skinny" all my life. Doesn't bother me at all. I don't exercise or make any effort to maintain my weight, which has consistently hovered between 120-135 pounds for years. I don't care. I just downright don't care about it.
-I've been shamed for my religious beliefs, but never harassed or threatened for them.
-Never lied about my ethnicity or religion.
-My jobs never have to accommodate my religious beliefs because if they somehow interfered with them, I wouldn't work there. I would never expect that from them.
-Was bullied all my life, but not for any specific reason that I can discern.

I don't have to "help" anyone with anything when it comes to their privileges. Eff you, Buzzfeed. Thanks for electing President Trump. 65/100/
you should take your meds dude.

also, you're not a man either physically or in perception. you look like a pre-teen boy.
Your cousin is going to be deported, you know that right? Is this your attempt to lash out at me? Or are you going to threaten to punch me again?

FWIW, if you want to take it down the route of attacks on physical appearance, I'd refer people to the picture of you smoking a joint flipping off both fingers at the camera you posted in PAPOY. You look like Richard Ramirez.
Stop. Please.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2016, 01:04:30 AM »

Your cousin is going to be deported, you know that right? Is this your attempt to lash out at me? Or are you going to threaten to punch me again?

FWIW, if you want to take it down the route of attacks on physical appearance, I'd refer people to the picture of you smoking a joint flipping off both fingers at the camera you posted in PAPOY. You look like Richard Ramirez.

LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2016, 07:19:53 AM »

Well, might as well actually try this...

Note that a lot of questions are N/A for me as a teenager.

70/100... Jesus F[inks]ing Christ

(but, again, a lot of questions are totally inapplicable and i had no idea what to choose)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2016, 07:40:09 AM »

37 out of 100.

Boy, is that the truth.  This is the kind of result a pro-life Pentecostal for Obama in 2012 ought to expect.

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2016, 07:59:04 PM »

Since they worded the questions so stupidly I answered as literally a possible, and got 37.

I mean "I've never heard the words 'you've been selected for more airport screening'" does not specify that this has to have been directed at you by a TSA agent at an airport. "I do not not what Sallie Mae is" does not ask at all whether or not you have loans with Sallie Mae, just whether or not you've heard of it. If you consider your political or religious beliefs to be an "identity" then I imagine everyone here has been bullied online because of their identities. This quiz is a literal waste of time.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2016, 12:48:48 AM »

These sorts of quizzes are nothing more than the product of the portions of the left that are obsessed with political correctness. I guess this is one of the very few good things about electing Trump - the whole notion of political correctness is going to be put to an end very very quickly.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2016, 01:51:56 AM »

These sorts of quizzes are nothing more than the product of the portions of the left that are obsessed with political correctness. I guess this is one of the very few good things about electing Trump - the whole notion of political correctness is going to be put to an end very very quickly.

No, it will increase and amply in the immediate future.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies