Why do Atlas Dems keep talking about Kamala Harris as a potential candidate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:00:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Why do Atlas Dems keep talking about Kamala Harris as a potential candidate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Why do Atlas Dems keep talking about Kamala Harris as a potential candidate?  (Read 4680 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2016, 07:32:36 PM »

Identity Politics, simple as that.

(Trump would defeat her 52-44 by the way)
I'm getting really sick of this "identity politics" bs when you go onto liberal sites like Huffpost or Daily Kos Harris being black or Ellisob a Muslims is not mentioned nearly as much as it is on Brietbart or Drudge
In fact, it usually isn't mentioned unless it's relevant.

Face it, identity politics won this year. That identity was white and primarily male. It's the largest single identity in this nation.

The largest single identity in the nation is white women, not white men.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2016, 07:41:39 PM »

And you're a racist, simple as that.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2016, 07:44:28 PM »

Can't understand why/how she's the Democrat's savior. If she runs and is nominated (and it's a big if) then Trump wins easily in 2020.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2016, 07:57:32 PM »

And you're a racist, simple as that.

Wulfric is a clairvoyant who knows exactly what the margins in 2020 will be depending on the candidate. He's posting this stuff all over the 2020 board.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2016, 08:25:54 PM »

Trump did not win because he was a white male. What struck me throughout the campaign was that nothing was handed to him. No one handed him his poll lead in July 2015. No one handed him support from the party. No one handed him enthusiastic endorsements from his vanquished primary opponents. No one handed him celebrity or newspaper endorsements. He was almost alone the whole time. What he got, he took himself. Trump won because he identified a cleavage that the major parties weren't meeting and exploited it. The Obama coalition is no guarantee of success because it has only been validated in world where Democrats were running up against plutocratic R candidates like McCain and Romney. That world is gone.

I've been saying this for some time now.

Trump's legacy will be that he moved the GOP back toward the center to an Eisenhower-Nixon coalition (as much as can be cobbled together).  Once Trump is President, and the "Facist" "Alt Right" "Racist" mantras are proven to be campaign blather, I predict that to this coalition, Trump will add at least some swath of middle class minorities to the GOP coalition.  Trump is making the GOP a "big tent" party again.  Gone are the days of the GOP primary being a contest of "Who's the truest conservative?".
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2016, 09:12:52 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2016, 09:14:49 PM by Malcolm X »

She seems like a generic, boiler-plate California Democrat.  Is this just like Keith Ellison where she hasn't really done anything, but happens to check a bunch of religious and/or ethnic boxes in the minds of the whacktivist crowd or are there some sort of meaningful accomplishments/qualifications she has that I'm missing?

I think that the identity politics focus of the party is really regrettable, but then when you say stuff like this it just proves that it's at least somewhat necessary.

Keith Ellison has done more than "check boxes," and that kind of rhetoric isn't really appropriate--especially from a Democrat.

If you want the ID politics to end as much as I do, don't say dumb things like this, and then nobody will feel the need to go on tirades about race in the first place.

/rant

As for Kamala, I actually think that she might not be as strong with AAs as people think she is, given her kind of SF-elite demeanor and the fact that she has got to have a couple of skeletons in the closet (at least from an oppo POV) from her time as SF DA.

She might be a great VP candidate, but I'm not sure if she is ready for primetime yet.

Okay, I'll bite.  What's Ellison done that would qualify him for DNC chair and please be as specific as possible.  I keep asking this question, yet no one has been able to answer it.  When you can, I'll stop saying the hubbub is just because he's an African-American Muslim who'll do whatever Pelosi and Schumer tell him.  Until then, I'm gonna keep saying he's done nothing that would qualify him for DNC chair besides "check boxes" because as far as I can tell, it's true.

Oh and singing Louis Farrakhan's praises and taking anti-Israel stances like supporting the divestment movement aren't qualifications.  Those are strikes against him, at least from where I stand.  I'm not a blind supporter of Israel or anything, but I also believe we shouldn't throw our allies under the bus.  But hey, that's just me Tongue  At best, Ellison's no friend of the Jewish community (to put it mildly).  So his victory for DNC Chair would also be a kick in the teeth to one of the few groups that actually trended Democratic in 2016.  But by all means, go ahead and piss off key parts of the Democratic coalition; it worked so well last time Roll Eyes

/rant
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2016, 10:06:37 PM »

Keith Ellison will do whatever Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer want? That doesn't even make sense. The dude has been pushing against the DC establishment, not toward it. The guy endorsed Sanders for President, for crying out loud. Also, dude has great political judgement, is an incredibly capable fundraiser, and wants to push the Democrats to the left on policy. He's a great mixture of a left of center bomb thrower and someone who could get the god damn job done.

You know who else didn't have very visible qualifications for DNC before doing a god damn great job with it? HOWARD DEAN.

Dean has obviously become too a part of the system that he originally managed to shift to be an effective DNC chairman, which is why I think Ellison is great for the job.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2016, 10:13:07 PM »

And check boxes? bullcrap! I'd support Tad Devine, one of Sanders major campaign people, or another Sanders operative besides total jerkoff Jeff Weaver tomorrow if they took on the opportunity. After Sanders, I'd support someone who is going to make it their mission to push Democrats to the left and force them to become passionate about their ideals instead of constantly playing to the defensive of Republican policies and ideas and, well, what they say. I think Keith Ellison knows that and that's why he'd be a great DNC chairman. 
P123

Political Matrix
E: 3.64, S: 3.20

« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2016, 10:42:40 PM »

She loses horribley. Democrats can win with a left-populist candidate, but Booker/Harris etc get crushed.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies