Who was more right wing: Coolidge or Reagan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:20:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Who was more right wing: Coolidge or Reagan
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who was more right wing
Calvin Coolidge

Ronald Reagan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Who was more right wing: Coolidge or Reagan  (Read 574 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2016, 04:22:00 PM »

I say Coolidge easily

Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 04:24:26 PM »

Coolidge. Had he been President in the 80's, he'd have scaled back big gov't in ways that Reagan did not.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 04:28:09 PM »

Harding wasn't a right winger was he? Was Coolidge to the right of Taft or McKinley?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 04:30:49 PM »

Harding wasn't a right winger was he? Was Coolidge to the right of Taft or McKinley?

If I had to guess... Harding doesn't strike me as particularly conservative, but he ran an appreciably conservative campaign. Coolidge was to the right of Taft, probably McKinley as well. In the case of both McKinley and Coolidge, their pre-presidential careers were notably different than how they handled the presidency--likely as a consequence of how the office was regarded then. There are anecdotes of McKinley defending mine workers pro bono and having the support of Robert LaFollette when seeking the 1896 nomination. Likewise, Coolidge--per Wikipedia--supported a number of state programs he would never support at the federal level.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 04:32:36 PM »

Coolidge cut taxes from 73% to 25%, and by the end of his presidency income tax was eliminated for everyone outside the top two percent.

Coolidge also opposed any new spending bills

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 04:43:35 PM »

Coolidge cut taxes from 73% to 25%, and by the end of his presidency income tax was eliminated for everyone outside the top two percent.

Coolidge also opposed any new spending bills

The former is roughly where Reagan was. The latter definitely moreso than Reagan.
FDRfan1985
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 06:38:20 PM »

Was Coolidge a part of the reason the Great Depression occurred?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 06:41:34 PM »

If he was responsible for the practice of stocks-on-margin.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 10:44:59 AM »

If he was responsible for the practice of stocks-on-margin.

This is true, but the main 3 causes were A. Hoover raising taxes during a recession B. The federal reserve letting real interest rates go up during a recession and 3. Smoot- Hawley tarrif .

Also, Coolidge and Harding were both pretty conservative and probably more so than Reagan, although Coolidge was more of a true believer.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 01:08:09 PM »

Economically, coolidge.  Reagan obviously had a much more hawkish foreign policy
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 12:40:41 PM »

Economically, coolidge.  Reagan obviously had a much more hawkish foreign policy

True, but it's debatable whether Reagan's hawkishness or Coolidge's non-interventionism is actually more "right wing".
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 12:50:11 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2016, 12:54:32 PM by Spicy Purrito( (((☭ )))-MA) »

Economically, coolidge.  Reagan obviously had a much more hawkish foreign policy

True, but it's debatable whether Reagan's hawkishness or Coolidge's non-interventionism is actually more "right wing".

I guess that is the difference between the authoritarian right and the libertarian right. Harding was pro-civil rights but I don't think Coolidge was. Reagan started his campaign in Philadelphia, Mississippi. Nuff said.

They were both comparatively conservative on other social issues I THINK. Reagan was very authoritarian on marijuana and raised the drinking age to 21. No one in the 20s really was THAT tough on marijuana or even cocaine, I think. So, they are probably equal on those issues with the War on Alcohol.

Reagan supported Personhood but he didn't promote Personhood legislation the way W did. He did sign at least one major Personhood EO but he was 1-2 on his SCOTUS picks. Eugenics was found to be legal by SCOTUS during Coolidge's years.

Abortion was illegal in the 20s but that was equally because of real health concerns as it was personhood. It was a logical consequence of state development on public health and that level of technology.

On the whole, I think Reagan was more conservative than Harding, Hoover, or even Taft but Coolidge was more conservative than Reagan.

I think Coolidge was the most conservative President ever (since the start of a modern liberal v. conservative debate). The KKK was literally his base. 2nd goes into a three-way between W, McKinley, or the Gipper.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 01:44:17 PM »

Coolidge was the President least responsible for the Great Depression post-Taft. If Wilson had made the Federal Reserve more centralized and governmental or more privatized, the Federal Reserve would either have the strength or the autonomy to fix it a lot faster. If Wilson hadn't appointed Hoover to the position Wilson did, Hoover would never have become Commerce Secretary or President.

Harding'S and Hoover's flaws in economic policy is pretty obvious.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 01:49:58 PM »

LBJ had a more hawkish foreign policy then Coolidge too does that mean LBJ was more right wing .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 01:56:21 PM »

Economically, coolidge.  Reagan obviously had a much more hawkish foreign policy

I guess that is the difference between the authoritarian right and the libertarian right. Harding was pro-civil rights but I don't think Coolidge was. Reagan started his campaign in Philadelphia, Mississippi. Nuff said.

They were both comparatively conservative on other social issues I THINK. Reagan was very authoritarian on marijuana and raised the drinking age to 21. No one in the 20s really was THAT tough on marijuana or even cocaine, I think. So, they are probably equal on those issues with the War on Alcohol.

Reagan supported Personhood but he didn't promote Personhood legislation the way W did. He did sign at least one major Personhood EO but he was 1-2 on his SCOTUS picks. Eugenics was found to be legal by SCOTUS during Coolidge's years.

Abortion was illegal in the 20s but that was equally because of real health concerns as it was personhood. It was a logical consequence of state development on public health and that level of technology.

On the whole, I think Reagan was more conservative than Harding, Hoover, or even Taft but Coolidge was more conservative than Reagan.

I think Coolidge was the most conservative President ever (since the start of a modern liberal v. conservative debate). The KKK was literally his base. 2nd goes into a three-way between W, McKinley, or the Gipper.

I believe Harding and Coolidge were also pretty anti immigration(coolidge cleary was) while Reagan was pro immigration.

On drugs , Bill Clinton was even more tougher on them then Reagan(Three strikes laws, massive increase in private prisons, and so much more). I dont think Reagan and Clinton really were that anti drug but it was at a time of a major crime wave so the public demanded it.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2016, 02:21:24 PM »

I believe Harding and Coolidge were also pretty anti immigration(coolidge cleary was) while Reagan was pro immigration.

On drugs , Bill Clinton was even more tougher on them then Reagan(Three strikes laws, massive increase in private prisons, and so much more). I dont think Reagan and Clinton really were that anti drug but it was at a time of a major crime wave so the public demanded it.

Yeah Reagan and W were for amnesty but Reagan was still more anti-civil rights. W was softer on that. W was problably the most disproportionally  militaristic president. The only others that eclipse him are FDR and Lincoln.

I still think on balance, its probably right.

Drumpf will definitely be the most conservative on immigration, civil liberties, and civil rights and at least competitive on taxes. He is all over the place on safety net and eugenical issues.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2016, 02:55:59 PM »

I'm waiting for Leinad to post here.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies