Senate Confirmation Hearing: Gass3268 for Supreme Court Justice (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:01:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Confirmation Hearing: Gass3268 for Supreme Court Justice (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate Confirmation Hearing: Gass3268 for Supreme Court Justice (Confirmed)  (Read 1101 times)
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2016, 08:12:08 PM »
« edited: December 02, 2016, 07:35:01 PM by Clyde1998 »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I open up a 72 hour period for questioning.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 08:35:41 PM »

If I may ask questions:

1. Do you promise to develop a speedy decision on the current case within a matter of days once confirmed?
2. Should a Congress and President be able to remove a Supreme Court member from office if they fail to act on a court case within a timespan of ten days without any prior notice from the member?
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 04:08:20 AM »

Since you are being nominated by an acting President, would you be open to resign if the new President wants to appoint someone else in the Supreme Court Justice?
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 09:38:55 PM »

I would suggest, with all due respect to Gass and Truman, that the Senators vote against this nomination unless he promises to resign from the court upon the next President's inauguration (which will be soon given the Court cases). I agree with Windjammer than an acting President, not elected by The People, shouldn't be able to pick a Supreme Court Justice.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 01:03:47 AM »

I, of course, encourage the Senate to judge the nominee by his own merits. The only question that matters here is whether Gass3268 is qualified to serve our republic on the Supreme Court: if the answer to that question is "yes," he should be confirmed; if it is "no," he should be rejected.

I will let Gass speak for himself; his record and character are distinguished enough that they do not require my testimony. My only request is that the senators act according to what the Constitution and the law actually say, as opposed to what some now think it should say.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 01:18:50 PM »

While I have no opposition to the nominee being appointed as Supreme Justice, as with Kal's nomination, I feel that the incoming President should decide. If both candidates are in favour of the nomination, I'll vote in favour - otherwise, I'll probably abstain on this vote again.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 02:27:26 PM »

While I have no opposition to the nominee being appointed as Supreme Justice, as with Kal's nomination, I feel that the incoming President should decide. If both candidates are in favour of the nomination, I'll vote in favour - otherwise, I'll probably abstain on this vote again vote nay on this bill.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 06:33:11 PM »

Would the nominee care to address some of the questions in this thread?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 09:43:44 PM »

I would like to thank President Truman for nominating me to the Supreme Court. I look forward to answering the questions raised by the Senate later tonight and early tomorrow.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 10:18:31 AM »

If I may ask questions:

1. Do you promise to develop a speedy decision on the current case within a matter of days once confirmed?
2. Should a Congress and President be able to remove a Supreme Court member from office if they fail to act on a court case within a timespan of ten days without any prior notice from the member?

1. All three cases currently on first page: dfwlibertylover v. Registrar General Peebs, Bacon King v. SOFE, and Potus2036 v. SoFE all appear to have been decided on 11/20. It does not appear to be any other open cases at this time.

2. Yes, of course. Really any inactivity more than a week should be grounds for removal.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 10:24:53 AM »

Since you are being nominated by an acting President, would you be open to resign if the new President wants to appoint someone else in the Supreme Court Justice?

I agree with President Truman statement that the only question that matters is whether I am qualified to serve our republic on the Supreme Court and we all should act according to what the Constitution and the law actually say.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 11:47:09 AM »

I think Gass would make a great justice and I urge the senate to confirm him.

Having said that, I would like to, as an eminent elder statesman of this game, like to release the following statement on Truman nominating a highly qualified, broadly respected atlasian for the supreme court while serving in the last days of a term he wasn't even elected for: lmao

This is clearly an attempt on Oakvale's part to ensure that Griffin does not appoint his successor on the court. I can't say I'm surprised, though.

As a matter of principle, I will oppose this nomination should it come to a vote before Friday, and I urge my colleagues to do the same.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 02:45:17 PM »

I agree with President Truman statement that the only question that matters is whether I am qualified to serve our republic on the Supreme Court and we all should act according to what the Constitution and the law actually say.
Not a clear reply on an importan question, I see. If you'll not give an answer on this, I'll have to vote against your confirmation.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2016, 04:36:30 PM »

Seeing no further debate, I open this up to a vote.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 09:33:20 AM »

Not a clear reply on an importan question, I see. If you'll not give an answer on this, I'll have to vote against your confirmation.

I did not mean to avoid the question. No, I would not resign. Truman is the President and he is entitled to the same responsibilities and privileges as any other president, regardless of the situation in which he became President.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 03:43:50 PM »

Since we are going to have two Presidents in the coming months, I'd like to know what are they thoughts on Gass nomination and if they have someone else in their minds for the spot.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 04:34:42 PM »

I think Gass would make a fine Supreme Court Justice
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2016, 08:11:45 PM »

I had to really think about this one... Aye.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 04:57:01 PM »

Three days and only one vote on this?  Come on.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2016, 04:17:27 PM »

Abstain
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2016, 06:58:04 PM »

Aye
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2016, 07:30:55 PM »

Aye
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2016, 03:30:10 PM »

Nay
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2016, 07:33:04 PM »

With three in favour, one opposed and one abstaining, Gass3268 has been confirmed as Supreme Court Justice.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies